GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Chrome Grill w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 12:26 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used brake cleaner (any brand should do) and a rag then a terry cloth. Was faster than letting the gel type solvents sit but either way works. With the brake cleaner I soaked the tip of a rag with my finger under it and wiped the bars and it comes off instantly.

But you have to keep soaking the rag for each bar, took me about an hour.

Couldnt believe there was super shiny chrome under the black paint, kinda funny why they did that. Now im wondering if I have seat heaters in the seats and just need the switches to activate them?
Old 02-01-12, 02:47 PM
ShellWeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got this done, i used the citrus kind from home depot and i love the new look thank you for the write up
Old 09-07-12, 09:15 PM
baihama
Driver School Candidate

used goof off from home depot

awesome and cheap DIY thanks OP!

Old 09-17-12, 01:13 AM
antmck33
Rookie

Thanks for this guys. Never would have known this without CL.

I did mine over the weekend and it was so easy (Gel based stripper and cotton buds).

It has made such a difference and has brightened up the look of the front of the car. Brilliant mod for the total cost of about £8 !!

One very happy Limey 2GS owner here
Old 09-17-12, 06:16 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad this thread is still alive and kicking. Grill on my little brothers GS is still looking sharp after 12 years so this mod stands the test of time.
Old 09-17-12, 08:48 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

i might have to try this.. anybody do the entire grill, sides included and not just the fronts? sorry if its already been posted, didnt go through the entire thread.
Old 09-24-12, 11:04 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Took a lot of work but got it done. Used the graffiti remover. If I was to do it over again I would go with a honeycomb grill as I am not to much of a DIY kind of guy. But happy with the outcome.
Old 09-25-12, 12:46 AM
vipers
Rookie

great idea!! been wondering what to do with my grille... and this is free
Old 09-25-12, 01:57 AM
ksidnas
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member // paint on chrome trim

I bought my 1999 gs about 2 weeks ago. Its stock as I don't have to cash to get the upgrades yet.

I just noticed that the trims running from the front of the A pillar to the back of the C pillar has been painted over. It bothers me now, as some sections are beginning to peal. I took a sneak peak by slightly tugging on the lifted paint. That was when I found out that the trim itself was chrome.

How would I remove the paint on the trim without harming the paint that is on the body?
I am so temped to just go at it with a soap and water spray and blade on it.

I've also just realized that the right front wing panel is slightly higher, as is the front bumper being slightly mis-aligned. I supposed a readjustment is in order.

SIgh.... clunking sounds too. Suppose lower ball joints need to go soon.
Old 09-26-12, 01:51 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

doing mine tonight will post pics asap. Only could find the graffiti remover at wally world so i might be in for some extra work but it will get done!
Old 09-28-12, 01:13 AM
bashigs300
Pole Position

anyone here with black car?
Old 09-28-12, 10:32 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sLOWaristo
i might have to try this.. anybody do the entire grill, sides included and not just the fronts? sorry if its already been posted, didnt go through the entire thread.
go back 2 pages.

Originally Posted by Shoegum
doing mine tonight will post pics asap. Only could find the graffiti remover at wally world so i might be in for some extra work but it will get done!
Try Jasco paint remover. They should have it at almost any hardware store.. it's much easier and less hassle.

Originally Posted by bashigs300
anyone here with black car?
Old 09-30-12, 10:40 PM
TigerBrand
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this. This was the first thing I did to my GS. Wouldn't have known it was chrome under there. I used a dremel, cloth polishing bit soaked in brake cleaner. Re-soaked bit for every bar. 20 minutes and didn't have to remove the grill
Old 10-01-12, 04:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Literally just did this, Home Depot orange stripper like $12 , does all the work, scratched the paint off with a plastic putty knife, all I can say is WOW..
Old 10-02-12, 12:49 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

I know I promised pics but the sd card in my phone died so It wont let my phone take pictures. The paint removal went well. Used the graffiti remover from wally world. I put a rag down, then put a piece of paper towel on the rag. Soaked the paper towel with the paint remover. Let this sit on the grill face for about 5 min...lifted it re soaked and let it sit on the next 5-6 "ribs" while I was removing the paint from the previous lay-down spot. Used steal wool exclusively for the scraping and it worked like a champ. I will get pictures up tonight from my girls phone to show the results.

Also got my projector headlights in today with 10k hid conversion kit to be installed with the lights. Looking forward to getting this done this weekend or this week if I have time. Will start a new thread to post results and show my car. They are going to compliment my chrome grill nicely!

Quick Reply: DIY Chrome Grill w/pics