GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Chrome Grill w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 06:42 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LexRX

One concern, do you think the DIY chrome grill will start rust after a while? Anyone have any long-term experince. The pics I have seen here on CL of the exposed chrome lead me to believe it won't. Just a thought.

-Nick
I'll let you know after winter.. If it can hold up to all the sand/salt they throw on our wonderful Canadian roads then it will NEVER tanish.. So far it is still as shiney as the first day I stripped the paint.. Wonder if I can persuad buddy down the street to strip the paint off his black '00 RX.. I'll put a bug in his ear for ya Nick..

Ken
Old 01-16-02, 06:48 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is chrome then it will not rust, Chrome does not rust and does not really even tarnish. I have 26 year old chrome on both my mercedes and they still shine like new, you just use some chrome polish and get all the deposits off.
Old 01-16-02, 09:13 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
.. I'll put a bug in his ear for ya Nick..

Ken
Sounds like a plan...muahahah!! Just tell him it's for Nick...who wouldn't help out 'ol Nick?!?

-Nick
Old 01-18-02, 10:35 AM
TMitchell
Driver

I did my grill this morning with goof off. It took about 3 hours. I couldn't find the other products at Home Depot or Wallmart. I am sure the gel product would have been a lot quicker, but I took a day of sick leave and was bored, so it kept me occupied.
Old 12-16-03, 02:37 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chrome Grill

Does anyone know why Lexus coated the chrome on the grill to begin with? Should be some reason...
Old 12-16-03, 06:29 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

What are thoughts of only removing a few lines of the coating?
starting from the left, skip one, remove two, skip one, etc

some really unique design to the grill no one is sure to have
Old 12-16-03, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts
Default Re: Chrome Grill

Originally posted by ranjankhan
Does anyone know why Lexus coated the chrome on the grill to begin with? Should be some reason...
Because it looks much better without the chrome (IMO of course, insert sound of DaveGS4 ducking from all the stuff being thrown at him from the dozens of chrome grill fans).
Old 12-16-03, 07:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, now you have:
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-03, 07:51 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

too much bling?

which is why I thought going with maybe taking off the coating on every other one, or skip one, clear two, skip one, etc

thoughts?
Old 12-16-03, 07:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally posted by ranjankhan
too much bling?

which is why I thought going with maybe taking off the coating on every other one, or skip one, clear two, skip one, etc

thoughts?
I personally think that would look like something was half-finished and look bad, but I've never seen it done. Why don't you post a request in the photoshop forum to see if someone might be willing to mock one up?
Old 12-16-03, 07:59 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=104933
Old 12-16-03, 09:27 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

2SAVVY did us a favor, well, did me a favor, and there are some pics in the previously posted forum. Some thoughts, each rib doesn't have to be totally chromed, can almost be designed. Technically, one can put a big G on one side, and an S on the other, although in a rear view mirror, it may look odd
Old 12-16-03, 09:34 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please no one put a G on one side and a S on the other or I might have to fly out to wherever you are and fwap you.. LOL

Honestly the tops of the ribs only looks the best IMHO without getting too BLING BLING.. Geez this thread is really OLD now.. Should be interesting to see what the '05 grill will look like.. Can't wait to for the new year and the International Auto Show in Detroit..

PS: HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL MY CL FRIENDS!

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 12-16-03 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 11:34 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Default NO!!!!

Please...for the love of the late JC, DO NOT write letters in your GS grill, and DO NOT use this spoiler either...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-dont_do_this.jpg  
Old 12-30-03, 12:18 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

GOOFED OFF last night starting at 11 pm, so anxious, but slightly bad decision, so TIRED. I started off with doing just the top of the first rib, the middle of the second, the bottom of the third, to get a look and feel, and it didn't look too hot, so then I kept the top of the first rib, but also did the bottom, leaving the middle black, that also didn't look too hot, and yes, you all guessed it, I finally went all chrome. Took me 3 hours, mostly cause my cosmetic experiments, but the stuff is goof, good I mean, and I used a plastic piece and a cloth to rub the hell out of it once there was enough goof on it (several repeated coats). Nice to have completed a DIY, for $7, including painter's brush. Don't worry about pouring it on, you need only rub the part you wish to clean, let the rest dry, I believe it should remain in tact.

Quick Reply: DIY Chrome Grill w/pics