GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned Suspension (scraping?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01 | 05:59 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GR8WHTLEX
A few people have posted that they never scrape but I have to question whether they are ever driving with a total of 4 people in the car (including driver). This obviously adds about 800 lbs to the car. When I'm driving by myself or with my wife, I never scrape. That's why it wasn't a question until the in-laws showed up. Obviously coming at driveways and large speed bumps at an angle helps considerably but I just wasn't expecting it to scrape when I was moving so carefully and slowly the other night. It still was embarrasing to have this happen with such an expensive car.
My car scraped with four people in the car BEFORE I changed to the L-Tuned suspension so scraping with a loaded car now doesn't surprise me. We're talking a 1" drop with the L-tuned suspension. Not a big deal in my thinking.

An additional comment on the feel of my GS430 after the L-Tuned suspension. I really don't notice much loss in ride quality while on the highway. I do notice road irregularities a bit more, but to me it just feels more connected to the road - a good thing.

To put it in perspective - my mom, who drives a '00 LS400 and wouldn't hesitate to tell me if she felt the ride was harsh or uncomfortable in any way, was in it several times over the Thanksgiving weekend and commented on how well it rides, so I don't think it's a problem.

Last edited by RealMarty; 12-27-01 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-27-01 | 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GR8WHTLEX
When I took the car in, they went over what would be installed in the L-Tuned suspension. This included the shocks and an aligment.
Did you get new springs too? If not, that's a MAJOR problem.
Old 12-27-01 | 06:05 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Default WIN Kit

MEMYSELFNMYG300

The Win kit is very low. You will not be able to have your car towed (flatbed or otherwise), you jack will not fit under the side skirts and you will not be able to have you car lifted from the sides like most service shops normally do. Just a few things to keep in mind. (I wish someone had told me first)
Old 12-27-01 | 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TMitchell
... I don't think Lexus has quite got their act together with their "sport suspensions" for the GS. I chose the GS for the power, braking, comfort and reliability, so far I am happy with my choice.
The L-Tuned suspension is a great ride. Some people choose to get it installed at places other than the dealer which can be a problem. And yes, since the car is 1" lower, of course there's a greater chance of scraping speed bumps and curb stones, etc. But that doesn't mean Lexus hasn't quite got their act together.

My car will eat a 540i w/ sport suspension for breakfast.
Old 12-27-01 | 06:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
My car will eat a 540i w/ sport suspension for breakfast.
Gee, Bit, I am getting sick and tired of you always beating around the bush - I'd wish you'd just come right out and say what you gotta say!

Did you get my email from yesterday?
Old 12-27-01 | 09:25 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
o0oh shet

i have H&R suspension....
and im getting a Win bodykit installed on my car next week.
i do have 20" wheels on my car.... will my bodykit or anything else on my car scrape??????? i hope not... but now you guys got me thinking

anyone.... any suggestions?

Duude....Not to scare you but your going to scrape...Just warning you because I would want the same advice from one of you guys with a purchase that big, some kind of warning. I have the L-tuned and would never think about getting rid of it but I do have to slow down to usually the speed limit. When I had my stock suspension I'd hit the dip like a 4 x 4 and coast over it. H & R is even lower than L-tuned plus your lip and side skirts will bring your car looow. You will have a for sure head turner/Pimping Biatch magnet but you will scrap on driveways/Speed bumps/Dips unless you take them Verrrry Slow.

My two cents.

Steven
Old 12-27-01 | 02:18 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

was getting it totaled... but those assho*es wont do it cause its not enough damage, 16,700$$ worth of damage. oh well ill be fine with the lexus. just gotta go slow over those bumps and dips.

mannn i hate driving slowwwww
Old 12-27-01 | 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dexter
Did you get my email from yesterday?
Yup - replied too.