GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned Suspension (scraping?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01 | 08:02 PM
GR8WHTLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default L-Tuned Suspension (scraping?)

I'm a fairly new Lexus owner (Sept) and was immediately disatisfied with the handling of my GS 400 (coming from a TSI AWD Talon). After doing my research on the different suspensions that you guys modded your rides with, I chose to go with the L-Tuned package. The handling improved greatly but I found the ride to be fairly harsh compared to other good handling cars that I've owned. The turn in and cornering ability improved nicely but I wince everytime I hit a raised joint in the road or a stiff bump.

My in-laws are in town for the holidays and we went for a ride to show off the Lexus. This is the first time that I've had two adults in the back seat since the suspension was installed and I was scraping the bottom of the car pulling in and out of driveways (not very steep) and when easing carefully over a few fairly low speed bumps. This was embarrasing to say the least. I chose the L-Tuned suspension because I'd read of other forum members having some scraping issues with low coil-over suspensions. Anybody else having this problem?
Old 12-23-01 | 08:33 PM
enginyr
Banned

You need to enter and exit driveways at an angle. A 15° Angle will cure it 100%. Puting a 19 or 20" rim will also raise your GS too.
Old 12-24-01 | 05:36 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Sounds wierd to me. I've had my LTuned installed for almost 3 months, and never scraped on anything, even on steeeep driveways and road humps at a little speed. I have OEM 17s

See if you can find someone in your area with a similar setup and drive that car. (make a post) Otherwise, its off to the dealer to let them know you are not satisfied and that you feel the install was done incorrectly because its too low. i.e. No one else I know with the LTuned susp has scraping issues....

If you re scaping, it almost sounds like the they left in the stock springs, as crazy as that sounds. I've also carried a full load of passengers and never bottomed out.

Have it checked. Keep us posted. Welcome to CL.

Last edited by ///MDex; 12-24-01 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-24-01 | 05:47 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Default L-tuned too low

I had the same problem with my L-tuned setup. It was so much of a problem that it broke my Win Racing side skirts crossing over speed bumps with only myself and my 7 year old in the car. After only 5 days, I had them removed.
Old 12-24-01 | 06:00 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the L-tuned suspension for a few months and I have one of the steepest uphill driveways I've ever encountered. I do not have any body modifications (not my thing).

I do get some slight scraping if I take the driveway too fast or if there is a large someone in the back seat. But, it's a very slight scrape and approaching on an angle reduces even that.

Bitkahuna's driveway is also quite steep and I don't have a problem with it either.

Seldom have any problems scraping over speed bumps although one very large and wide one did cause a mild scrape.

None of the scraping I've encountered is enough to make me concerned.
Old 12-26-01 | 05:51 PM
liazon
Advanced

"The handling improved greatly but I found the ride to be fairly harsh compared to other good handling cars that I've owned. "

so basically, with the upgrade in performance suspension, you lost your luxury feel? i appreciate your honest comments as i'm researching the same upgrade right now.
Old 12-26-01 | 06:36 PM
GScorpion
Driver

Default Re: L-Tuned Suspension (scraping?)

Originally posted by GR8WHTLEX
I'm a fairly new Lexus owner (Sept) and was immediately disatisfied with the handling of my GS 400 (coming from a TSI AWD Talon). After doing my research on the different suspensions that you guys modded your rides with, I chose to go with the L-Tuned package. The handling improved greatly but I found the ride to be fairly harsh compared to other good handling cars that I've owned. The turn in and cornering ability improved nicely but I wince everytime I hit a raised joint in the road or a stiff bump.

My in-laws are in town for the holidays and we went for a ride to show off the Lexus. This is the first time that I've had two adults in the back seat since the suspension was installed and I was scraping the bottom of the car pulling in and out of driveways (not very steep) and when easing carefully over a few fairly low speed bumps. This was embarrasing to say the least. I chose the L-Tuned suspension because I'd read of other forum members having some scraping issues with low coil-over suspensions. Anybody else having this problem?

Did the scraping start before of after the Holiday dinner?j/k

You said L-Tuned package did you include the L-Tuned shocks in that package? If not, that could be your problem if your "bottoming out." The stock shocks may not be able to handle the lowered springs. Just something you may want to look into.
Old 12-26-01 | 06:48 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

o0oh shet

i have H&R suspension....
and im getting a Win bodykit installed on my car next week.
i do have 20" wheels on my car.... will my bodykit or anything eleson my car scrape??????? i hope not... but now you guys got me thinking

anyone.... any suggestions?
Old 12-26-01 | 07:08 PM
GScorpion
Driver

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
o0oh shet

i do have 20" wheels on my car.... will my bodykit or anything eleson my car scrape??????? i hope not... but now you guys got me thinking

post pix when done.

Your problems will stem from your cosmetic adds not because of equipment you will just need to be careful when approaching speed bumps, curbs, entering and exiting sloped driveways etc..... I think his problems stem from inproper equipment or some type of mechanical/equipment failure.
Old 12-26-01 | 07:49 PM
TMitchell
Driver

GR8WHTLEX---
Thanks for the write up. I have had my GS for 10 months now and every time I get the urge to lower it, I read this forum and see numerous complaints from people that did it. There are complaints about front end alignment, shock noise, harsh ride and now scrapping. I have owned Porches and BMWs and I like a sport suspension ride, but I don't think Lexus has quite got their act together with their "sport suspensions" for the GS. I chose the GS for the power, braking, comfort and reliability, so far I am happy with my choice.
Old 12-26-01 | 08:19 PM
GScorpion
Driver

Originally posted by TMitchell
GR8WHTLEX---
Thanks for the write up. I have had my GS for 10 months now and every time I get the urge to lower it, I read this forum and see numerous complaints from people that did it. There are complaints about front end alignment, shock noise, harsh ride and now scrapping. I have owned Porches and BMWs and I like a sport suspension ride, but I don't think Lexus has quite got their act together with their "sport suspensions" for the GS. I chose the GS for the power, braking, comfort and reliability, so far I am happy with my choice.
TMitchell,

There are many other companies out there that make suspension products for the GS. L-tuned is not the only company out there for example: TTE, Blitz, Tanabe, Eibach, L-sportline, Bilstein, H&R, Intrax, Tein, Toms, Ugo, TRD all make suspension upgrades for the GS. I am sure that there are others out there, I believe these are the most commonly mentioned/known. If you are interested having a "sport suspension" for your GS I don't think you can go wrong if properly installed followed up with a proper 4 wheel alignment.

Last edited by GScorpion; 12-27-01 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-26-01 | 09:50 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another vote for L-Tuned

This is really a subjective thing – I’ve owned and driven soft rides (Cadillac’s and Lincolns) and handlers (BMW’s) – the handling and ride of my GS4 with L-Tuned shocks and springs is just about perfect – for me. So far, I haven’t scraped anything, anywhere. The ride did suffer with the install of the LT, it doesn’t ride like a Town Car and while handling improved, it doesn’t handle like an M3, but for me, the combination is just about right. Just my .02.
Old 12-26-01 | 10:24 PM
GR8WHTLEX
Driver School Candidate

I don't believe anything was installed improperly at this point. When I took the car in, they went over what would be installed in the L-Tuned suspension. This included the shocks and an aligment.

A few people have posted that they never scrape but I have to question whether they are ever driving with a total of 4 people in the car (including driver). This obviously adds about 800 lbs to the car. When I'm driving by myself or with my wife, I never scrape. That's why it wasn't a question until the in-laws showed up. Obviously coming at driveways and large speed bumps at an angle helps considerably but I just wasn't expecting it to scrape when I was moving so carefully and slowly the other night. It still was embarrasing to have this happen with such an expensive car.

On the bright side, the car handles much better than my AWD Talon. On Christmas day, I needed to get away for awhile and I took the car out to a nice twisty road with some high speed straights. This road runs along a river with some fairly breathtaking views. I was driving it hard and the car handled like a dream. It put a big smile on my face. I drove this road frequently in my Talon so I had a good comparison. When I first bought the Lexus, I drove this road to see how it handled and that experience convinced me to upgrade the suspension. The GS is very well balanced for such a big car.
Old 12-26-01 | 10:44 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default You're right

I have to admit that I seldom have a car full so it's possible that I'll scrape on some inclines as well.

And they were in-laws too - they probably thought that their daughter married some bum whose car scrapes - what a loser - and she could've landed that nice young doctor who drives a Town Car!

Unfortunately, if you showed them what the GS is capable of (leave a little rubber, pinning them to their seats - haul *** around some curves, et al) THEY'D file for divorce!
Old 12-26-01 | 11:13 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MEMYSELFNMYG300
o0oh shet

MEMYSELF,

you fixed your damaged GS?? I thought you were going to have the car totalled and get an M3?

Quick Reply: L-Tuned Suspension (scraping?)