GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

wood steering wheel questions ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:40 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
but what we are talking about is getting the new wheel and keeping the existing air bag soo why wont it work ??
you're right.. should work if he keeps the orig airbag.. its getting late.. I've got the case of mondays..
Old 07-24-07, 04:35 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

shawn

the wheel you are buying will work with your airbag , it will fit but will throw srs lights and disable your air bag from deploying. its a 2 stage sytem for 01 and up which has 2 plugs in back as opposed to our 98-00 which has 1 plug. the airbag itself fits in place but remember your srs light will be on

you would need a new harness and 01 + airbag to keep the light from coming on

as far as removing , remember to disconnect neg terminal then positive terminal and wait at least 10mins to discharge all energy from system .. once air bag is removed loosen the 19mm nut but do not remove nut all the way yet . gently rock the whell back and forth and lightly tap around until it gets loose. you want to leave nut on their in case it suddenly releases or else your mouth and nose will be kissing wheel

i just had my steering wheel rewrapped from american stiches while i was in jamaica heres a pic

Old 07-24-07, 05:10 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
shawn

the wheel you are buying will work with your airbag , it will fit but will throw srs lights and disable your air bag from deploying. its a 2 stage sytem for 01 and up which has 2 plugs in back as opposed to our 98-00 which has 1 plug. the airbag itself fits in place but remember your srs light will be on

you would need a new harness and 01 + airbag to keep the light from coming on

as far as removing , remember to disconnect neg terminal then positive terminal and wait at least 10mins to discharge all energy from system .. once air bag is removed loosen the 19mm nut but do not remove nut all the way yet . gently rock the whell back and forth and lightly tap around until it gets loose. you want to leave nut on their in case it suddenly releases or else your mouth and nose will be kissing wheel

i just had my steering wheel rewrapped from american stiches while i was in jamaica heres a pic

wow thanks for your help but what was being discussed is like gs3tek did was he got the newer wheel and used the old airbag thats what i was going to do so it should be the same with the wiring and stages of deployment ! soo hopefully i shouldnt have a problem... is there a chance i wil install the wheel off center or is there only 1 way off 1 way on ?? anyways thanks again for your help ed
Old 07-24-07, 05:14 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
wow thanks for your help but what was being discussed is like gs3tek did was he got the newer wheel and used the old airbag thats what i was going to do so it should be the same with the wiring and stages of deployment ! soo hopefully i shouldnt have a problem... is there a chance i wil install the wheel off center or is there only 1 way off 1 way on ?? anyways thanks again for your help ed
oh i forgot how do you remove the airbag itself ?? i see where you said how to take the wheel off but not the airbag