GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Whats needed to install an aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 10:42 PM
G3Johnson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats needed to install an aftermarket head unit?

Hello im new to this site and just recently switched from a Cadillac STS to a Lexus GS300...and now I wonder why I didnt buy the Lexus a long time ago. Anyways I have had my GS for about a month now and I love everything about it. The 6-disc is a nice feature but only half of the Stock player lights up..which seems to be a problem with a few of them after researching. My question is what is needed to install an aftermarket Double Din DVD/Nav unit. I remember on my Cadillac the new harness plugged into the amp in the trunk, and all the wires had to be extended to the new head unit, is this the same for the GS300? Also does anyone have any good recommendations for what Brand of unit to go with? I want it to be able to play DVDs while driving so it must have a bypass code or have the ability to be set up to do so. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-24-07, 06:37 AM
dusouth
Pole Position

yes the wires have to be extended to the amp behind the glove box..............also the harness you need will not be plug and play you will need to relocate some of the wires in the harness............ you will get all sorts of info from members on here about their recommendations for head unit. i've recently installed pioneer avic d3, i like it cause its priced right commpared to others and it recently came on the market. i suggest you do alittle research on here and your local audio shops on which unit will suit you best!
Old 07-24-07, 06:43 PM
Fusionwork
Driver School Candidate

The Eclipse units are some of the cleaner double dins out there and they can be permanently bypassed by grounding out the parking brake wire.

www.eclipse-web.com
Old 07-24-07, 06:49 PM
Mirazge400
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you get your double DIN face plate and brackets OEM from Carson Toyota. I just got mine in today, PERFECT match to the AC unit and ash tray. Don't mess around with any other after market Double DIN kit.
Old 07-25-07, 02:06 AM
G3Johnson
Driver

Default Avic D3

Thank you. I bought a Pioneer Avic D3 today and the L-tuned double din dash kit is on its way. I have read plenty of threads on how to make it play dvds while driving, that will not be a problem. The question I have now is will I be able to find a plug that needs no modification? And do I just have to extend the wires from the HU to the new plug that goes into the amp and keep all factory speakers/sub? I was kind of iffy buying the new HU because of all the problems I have read on installing, but I hope you guys can lead me in the right direction. I figured i've seen pictures of it installed on here so it can be done, I just need to know what I need and what mods need to be made. Thank you.
Old 07-25-07, 02:52 AM
G3Johnson
Driver

Default stock radio

Oh yeah I dont know if this will change anything but the stock radio in my gs300 is the (Naki?????) model. thanks.
Old 07-25-07, 01:12 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...l+radio+in+2gs

look at pics of my install it might help some...........as for the sub it's not going to work after the install............but you can remove the factory amp and replace it with a small amp to power the sub and use the wiring from the old amp to hook up the new one!
Old 07-25-07, 01:19 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Dusouth- Any more info you can give on an install??

I have a Z1 coming in and a JL Amp and Sub to accompany it. I'm going to keep the factory speakers for now, but lose the sub. Should I just pick up a 4 channel JL and run the car speakers through that (obviously I figure that i'm going to lose the factory amp.)???

Any other info or links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-07, 01:35 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

my headunit is more than enough to power the factory spkrs...............i think you should just amp the sub, if it isn't good enough for you than maybe amp the cabin spkrs, but they don't hold alot of power and you will probally blow them after a while!
Old 07-25-07, 01:36 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dusouth
my headunit is more than enough to power the factory spkrs...............i think you should just amp the sub, if it isn't good enough for you than maybe amp the cabin spkrs, but they don't hold alot of power and you will probally blow them after a while!

Awesome! That is what I needed to hear. I'm assuming if the D3 is enough power, then the Z1 should have no problem? Is that correct?
Old 07-25-07, 01:45 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

it should! the d3 is 50x4..... the z1 should not be any less but check the output anyway!
Old 07-25-07, 07:43 PM
G3Johnson
Driver

Default Plugs

What plugs will I need to connect into my stock system (Nak)? And I will have to relocate wires on the new harness, correct?
Old 07-25-07, 08:52 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G3Johnson
Thank you. I bought a Pioneer Avic D3 today and the L-tuned double din dash kit is on its way. I have read plenty of threads on how to make it play dvds while driving, that will not be a problem. The question I have now is will I be able to find a plug that needs no modification? And do I just have to extend the wires from the HU to the new plug that goes into the amp and keep all factory speakers/sub? I was kind of iffy buying the new HU because of all the problems I have read on installing, but I hope you guys can lead me in the right direction. I figured i've seen pictures of it installed on here so it can be done, I just need to know what I need and what mods need to be made. Thank you.
go to the stereo section, there is a lot of after market HU info there. i don't recommend running an amp to stock sub and stock sub will be lost with new HU. you will also loose the changer aswell. I have a Z1 with stock mids and 2JLs in trunk. the mids sound good because the EQ in the deck can really clean them up, but i think you should upgrade the sub if you want your car to sound good.
Attached Thumbnails Whats needed to install an aftermarket head unit?-avic-z1.jpg  
Old 07-25-07, 09:00 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
Dusouth- Any more info you can give on an install??

I have a Z1 coming in and a JL Amp and Sub to accompany it. I'm going to keep the factory speakers for now, but lose the sub. Should I just pick up a 4 channel JL and run the car speakers through that (obviously I figure that i'm going to lose the factory amp.)???

Any other info or links would be greatly appreciated.
don't amp stock mids up grade to a good set of 6.5s if you think you need more.
use your EQ to remove any low freq on stock mids and they should sound pretty good.