GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Present to my car for X-mas...A paint job!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-01, 05:56 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
Here's another shot. The Greddy Gracer Front lip and RMM front grill were just added not so long ago....well the 19's are recent too.

Very nice, did you get the whole car painted? or just parts? how much would a paint job for the whole car run?
Old 12-25-01, 06:15 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie

LOL
I didn't say that, it was the liquor!
Old 12-25-01, 06:24 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

sweet ride bro, love ilt
Old 12-25-01, 07:45 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

The color looks great. But wondering how it holds up to the dust and dirt. I live in South Florida where we have a lot of coral rock which makes my black car dirty in a day.
Old 12-25-01, 07:50 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by lex430

Very nice, did you get the whole car painted? or just parts? how much would a paint job for the whole car run?

Actually, the whole car did not need to be painted. I chose to have the entire nose painted (I hate those darn rock chips from highway driving) and blended in with the front doors. This includes the front bumper and the new Greddy Lip, the RMM grill which has a mesh backing that I love so much, the hood, and the two fenders.

I also had the rear bumper painted since there are people in this world that can never seem to learn how to parallel park and love to leave a copy of their front license plate in my bumper....

Of course this has happened again ALREADY and my new painted bumper was PERFECT for a few hours. So it looks like I need to start thinking about the next visit to paint shop already (not going to happen right away however as I'll need to see a few more scratches or get some additional mods that require painting before that happens).

The paint shop did an EXCELLENT job matching the paint to the rest of the car. My cost for the whole job which includes the L-sportsline rear window spoiler was $1000. I thought that that was very reasonable since they turned it around for me in 3 days as well.

As for quality of work, I could not be more satisfied.

LEX430, if you wanted to get the whole car painted, price could vary quite a bit. You could get a MAACO job (would be cheapest) but would not be the best option for quality. Quantity is what counts for MAACO and not quality.
You also have those paint shops which take nothing apart and use tape/paper to cover moldings, lights, etc... I would not recommend this either because even the best tape/paper install would be imperfect and paint would show up on non-painted surfaces which would look pretty *****y.
The body shop I went to, took away all the non-painted parts (lights, moldings, grill, etc) from the nose, including the front bumper and left the hood and the fenders only on the car. These pieces were painted on the car. Everything else was painted on their own in their paint booth to match the car. This is quality work and takes time to do.
You a probably looking in the 3 - 4 thousand range to paint a whole car in the same color you have now. I you wanted to change the color of your car, then that's a totally different story as now the whole car has to be stripped so that door jambs, motor chamber, etc also have to be painted. That's a lot of work.

Before you commit to any work take a look inside the paint shop and see what kind of cars are being worked on ...if all you see are 1970 and 1980 cars in the shop, you may reconsider. But if you see a lot of late model and especially luxury cars like LEXUS in the shop, there is a good chance shop is well trusted and your automobile would be well taken care of.

Last edited by LS4fun; 07-03-12 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-25-01, 07:51 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

My ES300 has a couple of rock chips on the hood and the side passenger door, they are very small, but you can see the metal underneath. Should I have them touched up? I am thinking of taking it to the Toyota dealership that i usually goto and have them do it, I have the Taupe color and i want to know if they will be able to match it.

Thanks

Erfan
Old 12-25-01, 07:52 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

How much did the paint job cost? and where did you have it done and how long was it in the shop?
Old 12-25-01, 08:06 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Rims look GREAT. Some questions:

What are the offsets?
What size tires front/back?
Do you have centering rings?
Any balance problems, particularly at 60-80?
Those rims are chromed, right?
Why did you pick that brand? I haven't heard of them (not that that means anything).
Bit,
Offset on 8.5's is 38 mm and on 9.5 is 40 mm.

Front tires are 245/35ZR19 and back are 275/30ZR19.

Yes I had a centering ring and a lock installed for each rim.

I have not had any balancing problems yet....took the car to about 95 mph with rims on and no problem....ride is very stiff and potholes are now my worst enemy but balancing is OK.

Yes, chromed.

As for the choice, I really liked the way the rim looked, made a quick minute decision and ordered them online from a store in Florida at a very reasonable price. The range I got from the same rims varied from the price I paid to a high of price I paid +1500. Talk about different profit schemes. It does pay to shop around and be patient. Once I ordered online, I got the rims about 4 days later by UPS (actually 3 rims on one day, 1 on the next...dont ask! ...I dont know). Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them.

Now I wish it was summer!

Last edited by LS4fun; 07-03-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-25-01, 08:12 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ceoart
The color looks great. But wondering how it holds up to the dust and dirt. I live in South Florida where we have a lot of coral rock which makes my black car dirty in a day.
That's life!

I live in NJ and state is not the most clean one in the country either. Dust seems to love to seek out the cleanest cars it seems like.

How often do I clean my car? Well lets just say that I visit my local car wash quite a bit and get car hand waxed on a regular basis.

I have a VIP card for the car wash....sick I know....

Manuel
Old 12-26-01, 12:11 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW MAN YOU FINALLY GOT MY RIMS! =] I think the rims are sick and I can't wait to put them on my GS in may. Looks tight as hell dude, keep it up, drop it and it will look P*I*M*P
Nice decision on rims =] hope me showing them ont he board helped you pick them =]
Also hows your ride with those babys??
Old 12-26-01, 03:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't say that, it was the liquor!
Dieselman, I thought it was something like that !!!
Old 12-26-01, 08:14 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by futuregs
WOW MAN YOU FINALLY GOT MY RIMS! =] I think the rims are sick and I can't wait to put them on my GS in may. Looks tight as hell dude, keep it up, drop it and it will look P*I*M*P
Nice decision on rims =] hope me showing them ont he board helped you pick them =]
Also hows your ride with those babys??
You better believe it buddy! Once I saw those rims, I fell in love with them immediately. Once I also found out that the price was reasonable, I had my order in.

I'll try to take some more shots of rims today and post.

As for the ride, the handling is amazing but of course ride has stiffen up quite a bit. I guess I have to slow down a bit to watch out for those evil potholes.....slowing down I guess is not a bad thing either I guess....hopefully will help keep my budget low when it comes to my driving offense attorney and my "contributions" to the city and state minimal.

Old 12-26-01, 11:22 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

As promised, here is a closeup shot of one of rear rim. This is a 19 x 9.5 rim.
Attached Thumbnails Present to my car for X-mas...A paint job!-rearrimtest.jpg  

Old 12-26-01, 11:26 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a shot from the back.....You can see the L-sporstline windown spoiler as well as the chrome trunk bar....I really like that bar it makes for a quite different look.

Sorry guys..no more pics for now....its 35 deg F outside....my hands are frozen.
Attached Thumbnails Present to my car for X-mas...A paint job!-rear8.jpg  

Old 12-26-01, 12:45 PM
enginyr
Banned

Wow what a nice paint job...Was that your original color? HOW MUCH???

Quick Reply: Present to my car for X-mas...A paint job!