GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Polyurethene or Fiber Glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 11:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know, how hard it is to modify a stock bumper? How hard is it to modify a PU bumper?

Alot of people modify aftermarket fiberglass bumpers on Civics and Integras. Those are fairly easy. What about stock bumper? Harder? What about modifying a PolyUrethane bumper? Hardest but still do-able?

thanks!
Old 12-27-01, 03:54 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Does anyone know, how hard it is to modify a stock bumper? How hard is it to modify a PU bumper?

Alot of people modify aftermarket fiberglass bumpers on Civics and Integras. Those are fairly easy. What about stock bumper? Harder? What about modifying a PolyUrethane bumper? Hardest but still do-able?

thanks!
Globe do I smell a DIY special??
Old 12-27-01, 08:26 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know if you go with fiberglas, you definitely get a wider selection. But a lot of those Japanese kits don't fit that well and require some reworking.
i was under the impression that japanese kits will fit perfectly.. thats why most ppl buy them.. can anyone confirm this??? thanks!
Old 12-27-01, 12:05 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

Globe do I smell a DIY special??

LOL

we'll see. Gotta know if it's do-able. Don't wanna end up with some combat-looking mess.
Old 12-27-01, 12:54 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Globe,
the modifications to a stock bumper is fairly straight forward. The only thing you will have to worry about is if you try to add something to it. Obviously taking the slots away is not problem and filling in the areas you have cut shouldn't be to big a deal, but getting a major part to stay on and remain intact if you hit something is a differnt story. The stock bumper that I had modified is a combination of f-glass and PU. getting the two parts to stay together was tricky but it has been done. tell me what kinda mod you are trying to do and I will get you information on how difficult or easy it may be. If you have questions PM me.

BTW my finished product is under the listing "it's finally on" if you haven't seen it yet.

HI98GS
Old 12-27-01, 01:13 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tmasta

i was under the impression that japanese kits will fit perfectly.. thats why most ppl buy them.. can anyone confirm this??? thanks!

Yes only if its the real thing,not some knock off kit,but not all real kits will fit perfectly and most of those are overpriced as well.
Old 12-27-01, 01:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by HI98GS
Globe,
the modifications to a stock bumper is fairly straight forward. The only thing you will have to worry about is if you try to add something to it. Obviously taking the slots away is not problem and filling in the areas you have cut shouldn't be to big a deal, but getting a major part to stay on and remain intact if you hit something is a differnt story. The stock bumper that I had modified is a combination of f-glass and PU. getting the two parts to stay together was tricky but it has been done. tell me what kinda mod you are trying to do and I will get you information on how difficult or easy it may be. If you have questions PM me.

BTW my finished product is under the listing "it's finally on" if you haven't seen it yet.

HI98GS
thanks for the info.
I've seen your finished product. Very clean and very nice!

I was thinking about modifying my stock bumper too. Do that and keep my front lip. So I get both the ease-of-maintainance-in-painting of a front lip, and also the not-so-easy-to-damage quality of PU. Yet look different from just a lip.

but that project will be after rims. I will PM you if I have Qs. Thanks for the help man!