GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS400 lost all keys.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 06:11 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS400 lost all keys.

HI all,

I am in hell now. Just back from a long vacation and find out my home got robbed. They took all my keys for my 98 GS400.

I just got back from the dealer and they say I need a new computer unit if I don't have any keys with me. The good is Lexus is going to pay for the computer if I buy 2 master keys, the bad news is I have to pay $145 hourly labor for 3.5 hours (fremont Lexus). the key is $188 per key. so the total will be about $900.

I am still dealing with my insurance to see if that would be covered. but my question is do I really need a new computer unit?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-07, 06:31 PM
lexluger71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatKing
HI all,

I am in hell now. Just back from a long vacation and find out my home got robbed. They took all my keys for my 98 GS400.

I just got back from the dealer and they say I need a new computer unit if I don't have any keys with me. The good is Lexus is going to pay for the computer if I buy 2 master keys, the bad news is I have to pay $145 hourly labor for 3.5 hours (fremont Lexus). the key is $188 per key. so the total will be about $900.

I am still dealing with my insurance to see if that would be covered. but my question is do I really need a new computer unit?

Thanks.

sorr you got yuor house robbed,if i was you i would get it cause whoever robbed your house now have keys to your car. under warranty the dealer is supose to get a new computer unit for you.
Old 08-04-07, 06:34 PM
olddog
Pole Position

what are they going to do within 3.5hrs? progrmming a key?
that is such a rip off. if you take your car to some locksmith, they can reflash the ecu and make you 2 or 3 new master keys for under 300 total. the only problem is since you don;t have any copy(even valet) for them to copy from, you might have to remove one of your door locks for them to be able to cut out the key.
and why do you have to pay $188 for each key when you can easily get 2 or 3 solid uncut lexus keys on ebay for that price.
if you feel comfortable with the $900, i'd say go for it.
a reflash and new set of master keys would also render the stolen keys useless. in other words, reflashing the computer for under $300 at a locksmith is as good, if not better than getting a new ecu computer and paying $900.
i know i wouldn't.
good luck
olddog
Old 08-04-07, 06:52 PM
LEXTEK444
Rookie

I know personally that a locksmith can reflash the ECM but the downside is that if you want to add a key later down the road the scan tool will not communicate with the reflashed ECM. This means if it happens again you are forced to buy the computer. About the labor that is a bit much. I am a tech at a Lexus dealer and I normally charge 1.5 hours labor. This involves replacing the ECM, programming the immobilizer and wireless for both the new keys, and removing the computer from "learn mode". Hope this helps,
Allen
Old 08-04-07, 06:53 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olddog
what are they going to do within 3.5hrs? progrmming a key?
that is such a rip off. if you take your car to some locksmith, they can reflash the ecu and make you 2 or 3 new master keys for under 300 total. the only problem is since you don;t have any copy(even valet) for them to copy from, you might have to remove one of your door locks for them to be able to cut out the key.
and why do you have to pay $188 for each key when you can easily get 2 or 3 solid uncut lexus keys on ebay for that price.
if you feel comfortable with the $900, i'd say go for it.
a reflash and new set of master keys would also render the stolen keys useless. in other words, reflashing the computer for under $300 at a locksmith is as good, if not better than getting a new ecu computer and paying $900.
i know i wouldn't.
good luck
olddog
1. Lexus is probably replacing the whole ECU which involves time and labor. And yes Lexus does take their time...

2. Tell me where I can take my car to get the ECU reflashed AND get 2 or 3 keys for under $300. Keys alone are $150-200 new depending on where you buy, and the reflashing thing will sure as hell be at least an hour.

3. You don't need a valet key. Lexus can cut a key according to your VIN, but it won't start the car.

4. Lexus (or most locksmith shops) will NOT cut eBay keys.
Old 08-04-07, 07:48 PM
skeoripper
Rookie

Yea same thing happened to me I got robbed and they took my only key and it cost me about $600 to get a master and a valet key.
Old 08-04-07, 07:48 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by mikevanle
1. Lexus is probably replacing the whole ECU which involves time and labor. And yes Lexus does take their time...

2. Tell me where I can take my car to get the ECU reflashed AND get 2 or 3 keys for under $300. Keys alone are $150-200 new depending on where you buy, and the reflashing thing will sure as hell be at least an hour.

3. You don't need a valet key. Lexus can cut a key according to your VIN, but it won't start the car.

4. Lexus (or most locksmith shops) will NOT cut eBay keys.
1. you would be amazed at how many things they do in 5 seconds but still charge "hundreds" for. Time and labour are the two things the dealers rip you off with mostly. there are many mechanics out there that take their time and don't charge that amount.
2. Here in toronto, i have seen 3 or 4 locksmiths. and am pretty sure, they are plenty more in the US.
3. Same thing with many other companies. CarsonToyota for one can use your vin.
http://www.mikadotechnology.com/ , there is also a member on CL(Tami) and she works at a company that specialize in reflashing the ecu. programming the key to lock the doors and start the car are the easiest things but the Lexus dealers still charge 1.5hrs for that which takes only about 2 mins.
4. doesn't the entire money-saving idea have to do with not taking it to Lexus in the first place?

Last edited by olddog; 08-04-07 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 08:10 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

As mentioned, where do you even get a source to get "2 or 3 Lexus keys" for under $300? Perhaps if you buy a shell and buy a transmitter off eBay you can do that, but with reflashing included hell no.

And like I said, most places will not cut keys from eBay. Lexus as well as any dealership will overcharge, there is no arguement there. But where's all these quotes for reflashing and keys you are coming up with are beyond me.
Old 08-05-07, 10:40 AM
chris350
Driver School Candidate

you need a new computer because one of those keys that person stole was a master key. with out a master key you cannot register any other keys.
Old 08-05-07, 10:43 AM
darrylg33
Rookie

www.streetkeys.com worked for me, keys and ecu...good luck, sorry about your misfortune...D
Old 08-05-07, 10:47 AM
Vitaliy23
Driver

I had only my valet key cus the other keys were stolen , and I found a guy to come to my house program a master key from the valet key . everything cost me $150 (key, to cut they key and program it) took about 15 minutes to do
Old 08-05-07, 11:04 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vitaliy23
I had only my valet key cus the other keys were stolen , and I found a guy to come to my house program a master key from the valet key . everything cost me $150 (key, to cut they key and program it) took about 15 minutes to do
I noticed you have an 03. The newer models (I'm not sure what year when it first started) can easily be reflashed and keys reprogrammed with a scanner tool. My aunt lost all keys to her 04 RX330. I brought it to a locksmith who reprogrammed it in about 15 minutes.
Old 08-05-07, 12:39 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BatKing
The good is Lexus is going to pay for the computer if I buy 2 master keys, the bad news is I have to pay $145 hourly labor for 3.5 hours (fremont Lexus).
Are you getting the car rekeyed entirely? Or just two new keys? My dealer charges one hour @ 109.88 per hour. From what I have been told that is all Lexus wants us to get for replaing the computer, which is right in your engine compartment. You may want to ask the service manager about this or even Lexus. I'm sorry but something is NOT right here. Three and a half hours should be for every lock on your car being changed out, two master, one valet, and one flat key.
Old 08-05-07, 02:34 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Sorry to hear this has happened. Reflash is only possible starting with 01' models. 98' - 00' GS400 computers cannot be reflashed/reprogrammed, only replaced. Without a master key, you are indeed hosed. $900 for a new computer and 2 master keys is fair. I lost a master key for my 99' GS400 back in the day, but I fortunately had the spare. I had extras made.
Old 08-05-07, 02:43 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by mikevanle
As mentioned, where do you even get a source to get "2 or 3 Lexus keys" for under $300? Perhaps if you buy a shell and buy a transmitter off eBay you can do that, but with reflashing included hell no.

And like I said, most places will not cut keys from eBay. Lexus as well as any dealership will overcharge, there is no arguement there. But where's all these quotes for reflashing and keys you are coming up with are beyond me.
i am speaking from experience. the only difference between my situation and his is that i had a valet key which another master key could be cut from for the locks etc. but like you said most can use the VIN.
whichever way works best for the guy is up to him. if i had $900 to shell out and not feel it, i would definitely go the Lexus dealer route to get the keys. same with other repairs and maintenance which they rip us off on. if i was rich enough, i would just let them do it all instead of DIYs.But until then, cheaper ways will always be sought after.
good luck anyways.

Quick Reply: 98 GS400 lost all keys.