GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Should I buy a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 05:09 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

with that question...i think you'll be better off with a 85 caprice and slap some 26" on it.... Dont mean to be an as* but why do you need the biggest rims? why?
Old 08-05-07, 09:23 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I am not the owner of a Lexus even though I said I owned one, sorry if ownership of one is required to be a registered user. I am in the market for a car. I am about to turn 20 in november and I am planning to buy my very first car(yay!!) The car I want and is in my budget is a GS300 1998-2000. I can either buy that or a standard 2006 chevy monte carlo or any 2006 car that isnt a luxury car(scion tc,scion xb etc). I was wondering what would you all go for(sorry for asking knowing this is a lexus owners club) I just want to have a car that looks good and not that not any 20 year old can own(buying cash,have been saving a lot). I am going to customize vehicle with body kit,rims,audio/video. Please help. I really like the Gs300 but I dont wanna drive something that people think is outdated. All input would be greatly appreciated.
if you have a buget, than the GS is not for you. A nice set of 20s, suspention, audio/video system, body kit, ect... will cost just as much or more than what you payed for the car. the GS is not outdated yet, simply because it did not change body style untill recently, but you must debadge and upgrade tails to pull it off. i would say buy the GS, but don't plan on doing any more than simple on a buget (ebay) mods.
Old 08-11-07, 01:02 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALeX300
with that question...i think you'll be better off with a 85 caprice and slap some 26" on it.... Dont mean to be an as* but why do you need the biggest rims? why?
Actually I wanted to see if I could fit 22" on it.
Old 08-11-07, 05:01 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-11-07, 05:07 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are looking to put on big *** rims, then I say go with a Monte Carlo, otherwise a GS is the way to go far none!
Old 08-11-07, 05:52 PM
phillygs3

Trust me you can't go wrong this is my second gs i had one back in 97 it was a 95 and loved it . unfortunately it was wrecked now i just bought a 2004 with 45 thousand miles from a local lexus dealer. soon as i drove the car i fell in love with it. go test drive one and im sure you will feel the same. drives better than most new cars and if you buy a pre certified one from the dealer you cant go wrong. good luck
Old 08-11-07, 06:24 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to customize vehicle with body kit,rims,audio/video.
here's my 2 cents and a heads up, I'm not trying to scare you or talk you out of gettign a GS. Try to address all the maitenance of the car first. The GS is a very durable ride as long as you do the suggested maitenance. All that you plan to do with the GS will run you almost as how much the car is. A nice body kit alone is expensive and so will be the rims and audio. enjoy the modding phase though, the 2GS is a sexy ride once treated with nice mods.

btw, please don't get 22's.
Old 08-11-07, 06:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm well i say they get it, and when ppl r talking bout maitnence for the car they r rite, but consider urself lucky, when i turn 16 i m getting my dads old es, and have my old old old mercedes. o and its an s class, so umm yea, good thing i saving up for repairs now o and i think 22 inch rims r a bit to bling
Old 08-11-07, 07:52 PM
skeoripper
Rookie

I think im gonna try it on mines next summer. I know these guys here dont like that stuff though...
Old 08-11-07, 08:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skeoripper
I think im gonna try it on mines next summer. I know these guys here dont like that stuff though...
it's not that these guys don't like them, including my self, but 9/10 people don't do it right. making the car look worse than stock
does not matter how hard you try, there are somethings that will not look good on a GS so why do it
Old 08-11-07, 08:10 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say this ... I have been looking forward to have this car ... I have worked my way up to it and now that I had the chance ... I say it was worth the wait ...

If you think the car is outdated ... you don't appreciate it yet ... esp being 20 ... I got mine on my own at 22 ... And wouldnt trade it in for anything ... Thinking of getting another ..white one this time around

Its a great thing ... To own the 2nd gen Gs ... There are many in here of course that appreciate it and its like a family when you have a problem ... many to turn to ..

I love Mine !
Old 08-11-07, 09:13 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
it's not that these guys don't like them, including my self, but 9/10 people don't do it right. making the car look worse than stock
does not matter how hard you try, there are somethings that will not look good on a GS so why do it
true, I think 22's are just too big for the 2GS.
Old 08-11-07, 09:28 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Thank for the input. My mind is made up, The Gs it is. I know that this isnt topic related but what are the biggest rims that will fit it?
22's are the biggest I've seen but 20's with a nice drop definately do the trick. that's what most people get. Check out the DUB section of this forum to see some G's with 22's
Old 08-11-07, 09:32 PM
blacklexT
Bluelex's Brother

if you are looking for a car to put big rims on get a donk,box,bubble,cut,reg,moty,impa,ss, well you get the pic. this is a jdm car this is a car the peps will look at you can say dame doing good in the hood. dude take a look at my brothers car bluelex he has 21'' on it that would be the biggest rim i think 99.9% of the gs fam. would put.
Old 08-12-07, 07:19 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What does everybody mean by maintance? I have read a lot of posts talk about maintance, other than a regular tune up, what do youall mean?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a GS?