GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radio Install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 03:49 PM
bricoop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Install question

Hey Guys, I'm kinda aggrevated right now. I purchased a car audio system from Circuit City for over a thousand dollars(new pioneer head unit, 4 polk speakers, MTX amp, 2 MTX 12" Subs, and Install). After 3 days of trying to install the system it's still in boxes. First day they said not enough time. Second day the head unit wouldn't work with the stock wiring harness so they needed to hardwire it. Today he couldn't figure out where to hook into a 12V power source and that he couldn't figure out how to do it. Well I did a search and this is the only thing I could come up with: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=volt

If you guys have any links to how to wire a 99 GS300 audio system I would be very appreciative.

Last edited by bricoop; 08-08-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 04:03 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if he can't find a 12V power source i'd suggest he's in the wrong business. if it were i'd take all of that crap back and get my money back and then consider the whole thing a lesson to stay away from places like circuit city for car audio.
Old 08-07-07, 09:58 PM
bricoop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbgs400
if he can't find a 12V power source i'd suggest he's in the wrong business. if it were i'd take all of that crap back and get my money back and then consider the whole thing a lesson to stay away from places like circuit city for car audio.
Yeah, that's definetly run through my mind, but it doesn't answer my question. Does anyone else have any clue about this system?
Old 08-07-07, 10:05 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is plenty of info man, i've wired my GS and so have many other people. just search for it. you can get two metra harnesses and adapt them to work, it's not going to work with the stock pioneer amp if that's what you were planning. my point, which i guess i didn't get across clearly, is that this guy is not going to be able to do what you want.
Old 08-07-07, 11:10 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basicly, you can use 95 camry harness( need to switch the wire). When you buy camry harness package, which come with 2 harness, speaker harness and power harness. You dont need the speaker harness.

For the head unit power, by using the Volt metter to meansurement the volttage from the factory harness. and you can find: battery(B+), ground, and ign(12V). The head unit should work.

For the speaker, you need at least 2 pair of RCA cable(F+R), run into the amp.You need to rewire the speaker cable.
Thats the way i did my system. Hope this help
Old 08-08-07, 04:34 AM
olddog
Pole Position

wow, an installer cannot find a 12volt connection?
that's scary. i would take my car somewhere else just cos of that. i had noclue/idea on radio installs but some instructions from CL had me installing my on nav unit,subs,speakers, amps etc saving myself over $1500 in install/custom work fees. i suggest you take it somewhere else before they do a nasty patch up job for you.
good luck
or better yet, DIY
olddog
Old 08-08-07, 07:56 AM
bwilder10h
Driver

Get a refund and go to a competant installer.

The 12v, acc power and ground are tapped from the stock radio plugs using a basic Toyota wiring harness.
Old 08-08-07, 08:19 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure of what is originally installed in your car, but for me it was easy, after two weeks of figuring out what to do.

For one, cutting into the harness is a big nono

For two, you need two wiring harnesses. I will explain.

I just hooked up finally with success an Alpine HU into my 2000 GS300 with the Pioneer deck. Using the Metra 1987+ Toyota 71-8113 harnesses, I took one of the wiring harnesses and extended the cable to just behind and on the right of the glove box. Do not use the harness behind the deck, you wont get sound because the factory amp requires a digital turn on lead aftermarket stereos don't have. The two bottom white plugs on the amp (standing vertically on its side) are what connects all your speakers and constant power (Yellow on the harness). The little plug containing the rear and subwoofer (you will lose the subwoofer) The larger plug has your fronts and your constant power. This requires removing and repinning the harness to correctly correspond to the factory configuration. Do this by taking a small pin to bend back the plastic locks and pulling out the pin/wire assemblies from the harness.

As for your accessory power you will need to use the smaller plug on the second wire harness package to securely connect the switched power. This too requires removing all pins and wires and using the red to repin to the exact location.

After this, it was cake.

This was copy and pasted from www.the12volt.com:

2000 Lexus GS300/400 Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Blue/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Gray
Ground Brown
Illumination n/a
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Rear Window
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors
Left Front (+) Pink
Left Front (-) Purple
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Blue
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Rear Door
Left Rear (+) Black
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Red
Right Rear (-) White

Originally Posted by dung0981
Basicly, you can use 95 camry harness( need to switch the wire). When you buy camry harness package, which come with 2 harness, speaker harness and power harness. You dont need the speaker harness.

For the head unit power, by using the Volt metter to meansurement the volttage from the factory harness. and you can find: battery(B+), ground, and ign(12V). The head unit should work.

For the speaker, you need at least 2 pair of RCA cable(F+R), run into the amp.You need to rewire the speaker cable.
Thats the way i did my system. Hope this help
Question for you dung0981, how did you get the amp to turn on? This will give me something to do this weekend. I hear its a digital turn on...or not? Right now its sounds alright with the Alpine internal amp, but obviously I lost the factory sub.

Last edited by flipicanez; 08-08-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-08-07, 11:18 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipicanez

Question for you dung0981, how did you get the amp to turn on? This will give me something to do this weekend. I hear its a digital turn on...or not? Right now its sounds alright with the Alpine internal amp, but obviously I lost the factory sub.
He will not use the factory amp + factory sub. So he just need to use the remote wire from the aftermarket head unit, which is labled...

Personally, I am nerver mess up with the OEM amp, So i am not sure how to turn it on. In the case, you want to use stock sub without the facroty amp, just need to add 1channel amp, less than 100W run into the stock sub
Old 08-08-07, 11:56 AM
bricoop
Driver School Candidate

Huge thanks to Flip and Dung. I will post pictures when it's finished(hopefully tonight).
Old 08-19-07, 09:34 PM
bricoop
Driver School Candidate

So my system's done. All I have to say is that it hits hard! here's a few pics guys. I plan on having them remove the stock sub/amp so I can get my trunk space back by sliding the box back. Also the Pioneer head has the iPod cable with it, which is really cool. My next upgrade will be the blue tooth adapter.

Old 08-19-07, 09:57 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

glad he got it working but I would never trust someone who couldn't find something as simple as a power wire.
Old 08-19-07, 11:07 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry you had such a time at CC. i work in car stereo at CC here where i live and we have been lucky to get some of the best car stereo guys around. there is a lot of young guys who don't know jack or even care to know anything about car stereo who are installers at CC. we have fixed many a screw ups by other stores. We don't all suck and if the sales man didn't tell you the USB plug only works on new version I pods. i have dealt with that already. hope you bought the City Advantage plan lol.
Old 08-20-07, 02:39 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alrighty then, nice job on getting it all together!! Hope the directions were easy for you.
Old 11-01-07, 07:55 PM
deejay
Driver

sorry to revive, but does this include nakamichi? plugs the same?

thanks