GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bulbs and cleared tails

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 08:47 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bulbs and cleared tails

Finally got some free time so today I am going to clear out my 99' tails. I was wondering what turn signal bulbs people were running? I'd like to not see an orange/amber bulb in there, although I'm not sure how noticable one would be through the clear. I've looked at pics from searching and I can't really tell so I'm asking. I've seen the stealth bulbs but I'm not paying $30 for some turn signal bulbs, that is retarded.

Thanks for any help/insight,

Sean-
Old 08-12-07, 09:16 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just keep the stock white bulbs in there, when it blinks it's hella bright.
Old 08-12-07, 09:42 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Silverstar signal bulbs. They're kind of amber with a blueish weird tint. The chrome ones are not bright enough.

Last edited by chrispy; 08-12-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-12-07, 10:32 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Silverstar signal bulbs. They're kind of amber with a blueish weird tint. The chrome ones are not bright enough.

that's what i have in mine too... but i think he's referring to clearing his 98 tail lights
Old 08-12-07, 10:34 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by rayy
that's what i have in mine too... but i think he's referring to clearing his 98 tail lights
They would still work the same. I'm actually a fan of the cleared 98-00 tails.
Old 08-12-07, 11:18 AM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

how do u go about clearing it?
Old 08-12-07, 12:31 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Finally got some free time so today I am going to clear out my 99' tails. I was wondering what turn signal bulbs people were running? I'd like to not see an orange/amber bulb in there, although I'm not sure how noticable one would be through the clear. I've looked at pics from searching and I can't really tell so I'm asking. I've seen the stealth bulbs but I'm not paying $30 for some turn signal bulbs, that is retarded.

Thanks for any help/insight,

Sean-
I can send you some of the LED websites that I was using. I'm getting some more bulbs because the 9 facing LED's that I have are not bright enough in the day time. The sock yellow/amber bulbs don't look good with the 99' cleared tails. It makes it look yellowish which defeats the purpose. I have the cleared tails too.
Old 08-12-07, 01:46 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, those silverstars look like a viable option. I thought about LEDs but I don't want the indicator light on the dash coming on. I'm replacing the interior lights with LEDs but I think I'll leave the tails as they are with regular filament bulbs. I also thought about leaving the clears in but I would think that would get me pulled over for not having an amber signal bulb.

LiLS - Gotta pull them apart, pull the orange insert piece out and put them back together... simple! Fixing to do it here shortly, I ended up having to go show some houses on a day I had scheduled off F'n HOT here in Houston today!!!!
Old 08-12-07, 01:59 PM
chrispy

You can use bright LEDs but make sure you have resistors or else they with hyperflash.
Old 08-12-07, 02:24 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisES
You can use bright LEDs but make sure you have resistors or else they with hyperflash.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest (resistors). That way you won't have the hyperflash or the indicator lights on the dash.
Old 08-12-07, 03:05 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tried amber LEDs and they aren't bright enough. They are worst than the chrome amber bulbs that came with my LED tails. The Silverstar turn signal bulbs have a slighly blue-ish tint which is a bit weird but is at least 2 or 3 times brighter than amber LEDs or chrome amber bulbs. Trust me....
Old 08-12-07, 03:15 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to try these LED's that have 26 facing and 6 side lights. Hopefully they will perform much better than the 9 I currently have.
Old 08-12-07, 10:27 PM
Kromekicks
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Thanks guys, those silverstars look like a viable option. I thought about LEDs but I don't want the indicator light on the dash coming on. I'm replacing the interior lights with LEDs but I think I'll leave the tails as they are with regular filament bulbs. I also thought about leaving the clears in but I would think that would get me pulled over for not having an amber signal bulb.

LiLS - Gotta pull them apart, pull the orange insert piece out and put them back together... simple! Fixing to do it here shortly, I ended up having to go show some houses on a day I had scheduled off F'n HOT here in Houston today!!!!
it sure is hot in houston, hey, i'm in houston too, one day if you have time? can i pay you clear my tails? i just really don't want to mess them up. i've heard something about baking them, but i don't know what i'm doing. i have 99 gs 300 and would rather pay you to get me looking fly. let me know.
Old 08-13-07, 02:48 AM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

word texas is hot...so u gotta bake the taillights to pry em apart?
Old 08-13-07, 07:12 AM
Kromekicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by LiLS
word texas is hot...so u gotta bake the taillights to pry em apart?
that's what i heard. i'm really just paranoid ima mess them up. i'd rather pay somebody to do it, as long as it's not too expensive.

Quick Reply: Bulbs and cleared tails