GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Locked Trunk, No Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 10:56 AM
onedropz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Trunk, No Key

ok well i just got a 2nd gen GS and someone asked me what the lock thingy was to the lower left of the steering wheel... needless to say i totally wasnt thinking and pushed it in to show them it keeps people out of the trunk when i have people park the car. i tried it and it worked... then i tried to stick my key in and unlock it and realized it takes a different key... haha needless to say the dealership i got it from only gave me one ignition key and nothing else with the car.

im assuming that it there are 2 keys... one for the ignition and doors while the other is for the trunk and that security feature and also shiftlock. is there a way to open my trunk without buying a trunk key from a dealership. also how much do these keys run? glad i didnt put anything in the trunk yet.
Old 08-13-07, 10:59 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about every1 else, but my master key and backup key both unlock the valet trunk lock.
Old 08-13-07, 11:27 AM
onedropz
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah i forgot that i only have the valet key. metal shanks cost 50 bux in concord CA. bout an hour drive away from me...

in order to have a master key they would have to change out the computer and id have to buy 2 new master keys. he estimated the cost at 700 for parts and labor. the parts id get would be 2 new master keys and one free computer. you guys think its worth it?
Old 08-13-07, 01:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onedropz
oh yeah i forgot that i only have the valet key. metal shanks cost 50 bux in concord CA. bout an hour drive away from me...

in order to have a master key they would have to change out the computer and id have to buy 2 new master keys. he estimated the cost at 700 for parts and labor. the parts id get would be 2 new master keys and one free computer. you guys think its worth it?
You dont need a new ECM. All you need is the metal part of a master key, and you can program away.

Read up on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292053
Old 08-13-07, 01:55 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would a dealer sell you a car without a master key?
i can understand a private sale but a dealer? no.
i think you should escalate the case back to the dealer.
olddog
Old 08-13-07, 04:06 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

ok well i just got a 2nd gen GS

the dealership i got it from only gave me one ignition key
oh yeah i forgot that i only have the valet key.

In your first post you wrote that you received only one ignition key. Was that ignition key the valet key? If so you didnt think this car came with keyless entry? Or did you simply lose the key and are too embarassed to let us know? I'm just a little confused to how you could've bought this car with out the correct key.
Old 08-13-07, 04:15 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
In your first post you wrote that you received only one ignition key. Was that ignition key the valet key? If so you didnt think this car came with keyless entry? Or did you simply lose the key and are too embarassed to let us know? I'm just a little confused to how you could've bought this car with out the correct key.
I bought my car with valet key only lol,if it is used, most of the times the owners or dealers in the process keep the keys and sell them, I am sure my cars key made it to ebay at somepoint (the metal part in the trash or junk drawer) and the transponder chip in someone else's key, how else will one owner cars end up with no manual, no master keys, no tool kits etc, the dealers that send those cars to auctions pocket that all and resell.

my car is only missing the master key, unfortunately thats the most expensive part

it is very common, and well the lexus dealers arent going to make one for you...why? because they know what the cost and they want it to come out of YOUR pocket..DUH!!! lol jp

but its pretty common, I have a couple of friends that were in the same boat with their bimmers,benz's etc
Old 08-13-07, 04:23 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

oh and FYI, while you wont be able to unlock that button under the steering wheel (mines locked too lol), you should be able to still open the trunk with the key by the cylinder lock located on the trunk, it sucks, but at least you are still able to open it

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOCK YOUR KEY IN THE TRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if anything play it safe and throw the keys on the ground right after you have opened it, thats what I do, I learned my lesson lol
Old 08-13-07, 04:37 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
if anything play it safe and throw the keys on the ground right after you have opened it, thats what I do, I learned my lesson lol
Why don't you just throw them in your pocket?
Old 08-13-07, 08:48 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

u didn't get a master key with the car??? wow....
Old 08-13-07, 11:54 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KnightRidr
Why don't you just throw them in your pocket?
becuase I may have other things in my pockets i may need while the trunk is open and could place the keys in my hands once again, and if the trunk is open theres a chance ill put my hands in there lol

almost did it once, I was installing new tailights and I was keeping all the bolts in my pocket, and yup i went to lay out all the bolts on the trunk mat, and I placed my keys there...my girl friend was there though watching me and well she knows me better than anyone, right when I was done with the install she told me to grab my keys lol, I am sure I would have left them there and shut the trunk...ive found the floor is the best place for just about everything, since i dont mess with it until i need it
Old 08-13-07, 11:57 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

did you buy it from a Lexus Dealer? If so thagt would be unacceptable to me. Heck even if it was from a lemon lot, I would still pitch a *****.
Old 08-14-07, 05:15 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

becuase I may have other things in my pockets i may need while the trunk is open and could place the keys in my hands once again, and if the trunk is open theres a chance ill put my hands in there lol

almost did it once, I was installing new tailights and I was keeping all the bolts in my pocket, and yup i went to lay out all the bolts on the trunk mat, and I placed my keys there...my girl friend was there though watching me and well she knows me better than anyone, right when I was done with the install she told me to grab my keys lol, I am sure I would have left them there and shut the trunk...ive found the floor is the best place for just about everything, since i dont mess with it until i need it
Lol, makes sense.
Old 08-14-07, 09:11 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

what if you step on the key & crush the chip inside?
Old 08-14-07, 01:47 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

it is very common, and well the lexus dealers arent going to make one for you...why? because they know what the cost and they want it to come out of YOUR pocket..DUH!!! lol jp

but its pretty common, I have a couple of friends that were in the same boat with their bimmers,benz's etc
I dont know where you and your friends buy your Lexus, Bimmer and Benz' but I have NEVER known of anyone going through something like this from a dealer (i.e lexus from a lex dealership, bimmer from BMW dealership).

And as far as cost remember that they are charging you a fee which includes a profit margin. Anyone interested in buying car could easily haggle down the price for only having the valet key.

Oh well, good luck with your whole trunk/only-having-the-valet-key/never-being-able-to-unlock-the-doors-without-manually-doing-so deal.

P.S. I have a little secret, I've almost left my key in ther and my girlfriend too yelled out "GET YOUR KEY OUTTA THERE".

Quick Reply: Locked Trunk, No Key