GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is that cracking/popping noise???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01, 05:22 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is that cracking/popping noise???

Guys,

I have a Nakamichi deck and started hearing this noise a popping or cracking noise somewhere on the left side speakers when the radio/cd is on. The sound is like my speakers are shorting out, but I can't quite find the problem. Here is what I have discovered:

1. Stereo sound is not degraded.
2. The popping or cracking noise come every 3 to 5 minutes.
3. The speakers are not blown, I have tested it by raising the volume, but not there.
4. When the volume is turned all the way down, the noise still comes.

I am thinking it's something with the wiring, this started happening a week ago.

Has anyone here experienced this? And if so, what did you do, it's buggin me...

-allen
Old 12-30-01, 05:39 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

maybe its popcorn, you know how tricky that thing is, or it might be your wiring, which has stripped a little.
Old 12-30-01, 06:36 PM
gsexploits
Driver

it may be the amp for the head unit. I had a similar problem with my Mark Levinson amp...Does the popping and cracking happen on AM/FM/and CD? If so, then your amp may be overheating. You may want to have Lexus check the amp (or any car stereo place you trust)...

hopefully it is just a loose wire
Old 12-30-01, 08:14 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Silver00Spike, I thought it was the popcorn, but I swear I ate it all.

gsexploits, it happens on both CD and FM, I was worried it was the amp, but I only hear it on the left side. I will check the wiring tomorrow. But when you had that problem with your stereo, what did the dealer do for you?

allen
Old 12-31-01, 03:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

fasthuh, the Nakamichi system is biamped but not in the usual fashion meant by the term. In the SC that I used to own, the amp for the right channel (which also drove the subwoofer, if I recall) had to be replaced. I suspect that it's your L ch amp, and Lexus will likely just replace.
Old 12-31-01, 07:22 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

I have staticc in my speakers in my infiniti j30, it has a kinda new sony reciever and a broken antenna, but I hear static at low volumes on CD and FM. And I ate all the popcorn, but that wasnt the solution.
Old 12-31-01, 07:44 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I had a similar sound as well from my front left tweeter, it ended up being a little loose, so I took off the grill and fiddled with it a bit. Now it is quiet. I doubt that's it, but it couldn't hurt to check out.
Old 12-31-01, 03:31 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to get down and dirty and check all the wiring. I have another amp and MB quartz I have been wanting to have installed but I'm just waiting for the money. I would rather spend it on my suspension.

allen
Old 03-09-03, 08:33 AM
robmck
Driver School Candidate

Default Crackling Sound in the Speakers

I had a similar problem in my SC400 after a rain storm. Even after I turned the car off, the speakers continued to crackle.

I discovered that water had built up in the fender where the amp and CD changer are mounted (passenger side trunk). The source of the water was a clogged drain. The drain is a plastic tube that runs from the gas cap area (if you open the gas cap door, you'll see a little hole at the bottom) through the fender to a hole in the bottom of the fender. The purpose of this drain is to drain run-off water that may flow into the gas cap area.

If you find water in the fender, the amp may be damaged. But, the easiest way to get the water out is to pull the drainage hose off where it meets the fender (the bottom). This will open up the hole and allow the fender to drain. Then, obviously, you need to remove the hose and either replace it or clean it out.

Good luck!