GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how easy is it to steal a gs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 08:46 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how easy is it to steal a gs?

i was just wodering..how easy is it for poeple to steal our cars?..i know "if they really wanted it..they will get it" but i was wondering..how easy is it?
Old 08-17-07, 08:52 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think you want to really ask that on here as other people(guests) might come on the forum and start getting ideas. But imo it's pretty difficult to steal any Lexus. Probably a flatbed would be the best way.
Old 08-17-07, 09:02 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

In terms of driving it away and starting the car by "hot-wiring" it and busting the ignition...it's not gonna happen. Only way is if you're a high tech car theif with a laptop and all that to bypass the security computer. Most of the time the 2GS isn't worth enough to be on their radar. The easiest true and tried way of stealing ANY car for that matter is just to throw it up onto a flatbed and drive away.

While we're on the subject. I read somewhere that the Aristo is one of the most stolen cars in Japan. I guess it could be a bad thing when your country is so high tech that all the car theives have a sophisticated laptop system to steal cars. Good thing the thieves here in the US aren't so advanced

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-17-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-18-07, 12:10 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
While we're on the subject. I read somewhere that the Aristo is one of the most stolen cars in Japan. I guess it could be a bad thing when your country is so high tech that all the car theives have a sophisticated laptop system to steal cars. Good thing the thieves here in the US aren't so advanced
hahaha, always leave it up to jeff to give up the funny comments! especially about U.S. thiefs! gotta watch 'world's most stupidest criminals! LOL!

Last edited by 4ntvings; 08-18-07 at 03:07 PM. Reason: to say united states thieves LOL
Old 08-18-07, 12:51 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would think the 3rd gen GS would be even HARDER to steal. thoughts? Jeff?
btw- jeff - pm gs300rich. he needs some retrofits.
Old 08-18-07, 03:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cliffud
i would think the 3rd gen GS would be even HARDER to steal. thoughts? Jeff?
Everything with security is only a matter of time. There is no security system is unbreakable no matter what/who claims. Given enough time and effort anything can be broken. Just like on desktop computers 64-bit encryption is now a joke and can be broken in seconds. 128-bit is starting to be chipped away as well. The new standard now is 256-bit. With encryption each increase of 2 raises the encryption level exponentially. The situation is futher worsened if someone has actual access to the hardware and is able to tear it down to analyze and reverse engineer it. That makes it much easier to find flaws if you have the actual unit in hand. They might not even have to crack the code fully, but rather find a loophole or backdoor into the system.

Anyways back on the subject...the KeeLoq encryption system in the 2GS has been broken a while ago already I believe. It only uses a 64-bit hopping code(not very secure in todays terms). But it would still take a computer whiz to operate such hardware and software. Then after they get past the software part, they still have to have the physical key to insert into the ignition and start the car.

As for the new lexus system with completely keyless ignition systems ....I'm sure they use at least a 256-bit or higher system to keep their codes safe. However, in the future when someone has enough hands on time and research into how the system operates they can technically break in more easily into a 3GS than in the 2GS which still requires a key. Can you imagine...someone walks up to a car with a laptop hits a few buttons, let it process for a few mins, the doors unlock, the car starts up, and they drive away lol.

Once again, this kind of computer cracking requires immense technical knowledge and research into the security system. The ones that are able to crack such systems most likely won't be very interested in going after a 8-10 year old car such as the 2GS. Once again 99.999% of the car thieves out there are not capable of operating such complex systems...unless they're from Japan

What I just typed up is probably over most of your heads here and it is just very basic knowledge. So how much of this technical knowledge do you think the common car theif will understand? And no, I don't jack cars lol.

EDIT: There's always the true and tried and least conspicuous way of throwing the car on a flat bed as I mentioned earlier. I mean just have a tow truck that says BANK REPO towing off a $60K Lexus. I'm sure the bystanders will understand

Last edited by JeffTsai; 08-18-07 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-18-07, 06:08 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
hahaha, always leave it up to jeff to give up the funny comments! especially about us thiefs! gotta watch 'world's most stupidest criminals! LOL!
Uh, I hope you mean "u.s. thiefs" and NOT "us thiefs"
Old 08-18-07, 03:08 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
Uh, I hope you mean "u.s. thiefs" and NOT "us thiefs"
yes indeed. united states thievery.
Old 08-18-07, 05:23 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the security chip in the key is not read, the ecm, starter and ignition is disabled if a unauthorized start is attempted if I am remembering correctly. Best way would be to tow it off, but even still it would be hell for the thieve to get it to run unless they get a new ecm and all new keys and locks etc. That would have to be through a dealer and they look things up by VIN so the theive is still screwed.
Old 08-18-07, 06:14 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

the reason i ask..is becuase im going to start to mod my car..and im wondering if i should get an alarm first..or if i dont even need one..but from ur responese...doesnt really seem i need one..if through it on a flat bed is the way to steal it..cuz even if i had an alarm..that wouldnt od anyhting VS a flat bed..thanks guys..
Old 08-18-07, 09:29 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Basically, if you're concerned that someone is gonna physically drive the car away...then no that's not gonna happen. Or at least the chance of it happening is extremely extremely slim. Obviously no security system can get around the flatbed issue so I'll just leave that out of the discussion. The biggest thing you're gonna worry about is keeping stuff out of plain sight in your car. Don't leave a cellphone, mp3 player, radar detector, etc sitting out when you leave the car.
Old 08-19-07, 08:41 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

thanks for the valuable informatoin.
Old 08-19-07, 08:52 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Basically, if you're concerned that someone is gonna physically drive the car away...then no that's not gonna happen. Or at least the chance of it happening is extremely extremely slim. Obviously no security system can get around the flatbed issue so I'll just leave that out of the discussion. The biggest thing you're gonna worry about is keeping stuff out of plain sight in your car. Don't leave a cellphone, mp3 player, radar detector, etc sitting out when you leave the car.
True true.... People still continue to leave valuables in plain view in their cars. I'm a IT Security Analyst and I have to protect from the bad guys. More and more things in cars are becoming computerized. Of course theives still just break in and hot wires cars. Security systems whether it's software or hardware at some point can AND will be broken. There are computer literate people out there who spend loads of their time in just wanting to crack something that's been deemed safe and secure. Sometimes it can take some of the littlest ways that the average person wouldn't even think of. My friends Escalade got broken into from the moonroof and the alarm didn't go off. The thieves grabbed cd's, a phone, and 2 headrest tv screens. Seriously though, it's spooky if someone with a laptop, cracking software, and good amount of knowlede coming up to your car and starting it.
Old 08-19-07, 09:14 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spmeone just asked this question on evom yesterday.
Old 08-21-07, 06:27 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

get a wheel lock from united rentals it locks around your tire (front) to prevent the car being towed or yanked onto a flat bed..

Quick Reply: how easy is it to steal a gs?