GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sad... Mad... In Need Of Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 10:00 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sasha, if the battery is totally dead you will need to charge for more than 4 hours, leave it charging for a day.
Old 01-02-02, 11:12 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aright thanks guys..

i'll pick up some stainless bolts

what do you think about the rusting screw holes? should i re tap them? i think i will then spray them with rust-protective spray
Old 01-02-02, 11:49 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charging

If the "modern day" car is running, even at idle but with no other electrical loads, it will fully charge ANY battery appropriate to the car, dead or not. Once the car is running the alternator provides its own field excitation.

And don't I remember that car batteries can be charged to a HIGHer level in colder weather?
Old 01-02-02, 01:44 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the "modern day" car is running, even at idle but with no other electrical loads, it will fully charge ANY battery appropriate to the car, dead or not.
Every day I see that that just isn't the case!!
A dead Battery will not except the charge that the car provides.
If the battery has any life left in it you can try it with an external charger and try to charge it with a low charge.
Old 01-02-02, 02:16 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Sasha, Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the battery but this isn't the first time you've had "issues" with your electrical system, right?? I thought that was the reason you got the yellow top in the first place. I would get it checked out. I know you've been doing very well with the DIY projects but electrical problems can be tricky. If I remember correctly all the troubles started when you took your "system" out?? I would have someone check there first.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-02, 02:56 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

no i've been having problems ever since we got the car... the system made it worse... ever since the subs came out and i put in the yellow top its been fine... i think i hope it was the door
Old 01-02-02, 04:35 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Selective electrons

Richie,

Can you please tell me how a battery manages to discriminate between electrons of one "color" vs another?

Under what circumstance have you encountereed a battery, dead, partially dead, or otherwise that knew from where its charging electrons were coming?

I can readily see where a defective voltage regulator might damage a battery by over-charging it but I fail to see how a properly functioning automotive electrical system could fail to charge a battery.

But I'm willing to learn.
Old 01-02-02, 05:31 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I hope nothing serious is wrong, Keep us up to date and informed.
Old 01-02-02, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Default Re: Selective electrons

Originally posted by willard west
Under what circumstance have you encountereed a battery, dead, partially dead, or otherwise that knew from where its charging electrons were coming?

I can readily see where a defective voltage regulator might damage a battery by over-charging it but I fail to see how a properly functioning automotive electrical system could fail to charge a battery.
I've been told a couple of times that once a battery is COMPLETELY flat it's basically toast.
Old 01-02-02, 05:57 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

ok well i guess mine wasn't compleatly.. just too dead to light anythign up
Old 01-02-02, 06:05 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive been having similar problem on my car lately. I think that is just my fault. I will have to go through everything I have ever touched to fix that. I suggest you do the same thing.

P.S. Yellow Top is really hard to kill fast.
Old 01-02-02, 06:17 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The yellow top batteries are excellent and very expensive, so they better be very good
Old 01-02-02, 06:49 PM
cdn2k1gs3
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sasha:

Any current draw by a power source will drain an automotive battery within a certain period of time if the battery is not replenished. However, nothing should be wrong with the battery itself.

Frankly, you don't even have to remove the battery to charge it. Just get a jump start and go for a LONG drive (you have a great excuse!)

Just make sure all lights are off for the next few days and start the car after 12 hours or so...

Should be fine... GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-02-02, 07:31 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Embarrassing

But...

Just this very morning when I went out to start up our 94 AWD Aerostar the doors would not unlock with the remote. so opened using the key and immediately noticed that none of the interior lights came on.

My daughter had left the rotary switch on the headlamp switch on all night. She said she saw that the lights were still on when she locked it up but "knew" they would extinguish automatically once the doors were locked.

But not if they have been left on manually....

I can't say if the battery was completely dead but about twenty minutes on a charger, with the charger still connected on "boost", and the Aerostar started. I let it set and run for about another twenty minutes to further charge the battery and for the rest of the day everything was fine.

The only completely dead battery is one where the residue from the lead plates has piled up in the bottom and is shorting out the plates.

Give me a good automotive lead/acid battery to begin with and we'll discharge it as completely, as DEAD, as you designate and I'll recharge it in any operating, running, automotive system.
Old 01-02-02, 08:03 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Which one of you would dare step up and take on the challenge put forth by WWest, who dares challenge the king?!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sad... Mad... In Need Of Help