GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Foglight on - Headlights off Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 02:54 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
only a prob if you have HID high beams. I do and I only use them if I absolutely need them. if you keep your factory halogens you will have instant on and light further up the road.
For me it wouldn't be any good because I have the bi-xenon projector retro.
Old 08-25-07, 10:10 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Sorry dude, it was kind of spur of the moment. If you still want to do it I can try to help you, but Henry knows way better than I do.
chrisEs/GSteg-can you guys help a fellow so cal CL'er? man, i'd pay ya or even a nice lunch? help? i'll be at Dynamic next wk for install, are you guys near there?
Old 08-25-07, 04:43 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I'm trying to figure out when you need to have your foglights on but your headlights off....
Im with him on this.
Old 08-26-07, 06:51 AM
dl5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I just got my gs3 tuesday and my fog lights do not work. I initially thought it was just a bad relay or fuse, but everything checks out there, so i think there may be a kink in the wiring or in the combination switch on the steering column.

is there a way for me to diagnose the problem? please correct me if i'm wrong but in this picture from bananags' website:
http://bananags.grantham-internation...D/P1010097.JPG

it says that the two vertical slots where the relay goes, one is a constant and the other goes to the fog lights. would that mean that if i got a piece of wire and connected the two slots, my lights should turn on? if that works, i'd happily install a switch into the system to make it functional.

and if i were to want to keep the use of relay so that i can tap it into the washer amp and to have safety back up in case that i don't forget to turn the lights off and end up with a dead battery, do i just ground the other end of the relay with a switch between the ground and the relay?

thanks all!
Old 08-27-07, 05:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

dl5, this picture is the key to the DIY:

Follow that diagram and you should be good.

Also take note that in this picture, the plug should be put back into the harness. If you have the green wire dangling out like whats shown in the picture, the fog switch wont be connected to the system at all:
Old 08-27-07, 07:10 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
dl5, this picture is the key to the DIY:

Follow that diagram and you should be good.
can you explain to me in words what this picture is doing? and how to make the extension cable? i'd really appreciate it.... i will be doing this mod this weekend
Old 08-27-07, 08:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The method to have all 3 on is to run a third triggering relay with a diode specifically for the foglights. Basically it senses when the low beams are on and turns on the fogs along with it regardless of anything.
Old 08-27-07, 10:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyLexyNy
yeah....thats the link i wanted to send you

---BUTTT

if we do that...when we high beam..i dont think the foglights will flicker..

will they?

thats y i wasnt doing it..bcuz went he foglights flicker with high beam..the driver in front notices it more..

correct me if im wrong..im nto sure...
Doing the mod will not effect the fog light flicker. I have done it to my GS... and the fogs still turn off when high beams are on.
Old 08-08-09, 08:41 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

anyone in the MD/VA/DC area that would like to earn a lil $ and help me do this mod? please let me know (PM me). thanks
Old 08-08-09, 10:43 PM
GCOP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also use a relay tripped by the parking lights to turn on the fogs, they would be on all the time, with lows/highs or just parking lights and fogs.

Old 08-09-09, 12:48 AM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

thats just tooo much work for something that you would hardley ever use
Old 08-09-09, 08:01 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

ya i dont think i want fog lights all the time. i just want fog lights on/off whenever i want (by flicking the fog light switch).

Originally Posted by GCOP
You could also use a relay tripped by the parking lights to turn on the fogs, they would be on all the time, with lows/highs or just parking lights and fogs.

Old 08-09-09, 10:32 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

I've had this mod for several years now the fogs flicker if you leave it ON mode and start the car. This also has cause problems with my wiring because I've melted the new wiring for this mod. Sort of dangerous I know. I've reworked this mod 3x now and I think I finally got it down good. Please make sure to solder all new connections. Also I don't know which wire it is but one of them runs hot so make sure you have adequate insulated wires. I can't confirm but I believe I ran 14g stranded wiring.
Old 08-10-09, 03:13 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

the easier way is to just switch the coil side to acc or ign instead of low beam..not need make extension or tap the switch side on the column...i will be cleaner install that way.
Old 08-10-09, 06:36 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

josh, does it mean if i don't leave the fog on when i turn off the car then i wont have this problem? i think i can do that

Originally Posted by joshoowa
I've had this mod for several years now the fogs flicker if you leave it ON mode and start the car. This also has cause problems with my wiring because I've melted the new wiring for this mod. Sort of dangerous I know. I've reworked this mod 3x now and I think I finally got it down good. Please make sure to solder all new connections. Also I don't know which wire it is but one of them runs hot so make sure you have adequate insulated wires. I can't confirm but I believe I ran 14g stranded wiring.

Quick Reply: Foglight on - Headlights off Mod