GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reaching the point of desperation w/ vibrations @ 60mph+

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 11:05 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
very intresting read.

what causes the brake caliper to stick???

what can be done to prevent? clean calipers often??

I too have smelled something fishy.....I need to check this out
Here's my .02 worth from working on my TL and my own vibration problem on my GS. The caliper can stick from either dirt or too little/ much lub on the caliper slide pins. As you hit the brake pedal, the piston(s) are pushed out pulling the the caliper inwards. The caliper rides on the slide pins. Improper lub freezes the caliper inwards and does not release outwards when you take your foot off of the brakes. Thus your pads are always against your rotor and hangs them up.

As far as the vibration, where do you feel it? In your seat or more on your steering wheel? If you rotate your wheels does the vibration change? If you feel it in your seat, the vibration is likely in the rear. Steering wheel equals front. You replaced many parts but did not mention wheel bearings. If they went bad I think that could cause vibrations. Is anything bent/stripped like a wheel stud? As speed increases the force on the wheels increase and maybe forces the minor imperfection to show itself.
Old 09-01-07, 04:44 AM
06CWIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same vibration problem with my 98 GS 80K miles . In the last month I have installed:

All new Front TT Calipers and Rotors and Rotora/axxis rears SS lines
New 18" oem GS rims and new Falken 452 tires w/ H&R hb centric rings
new ball joints and tie rod ends
Daizen steering bushings and control arm bushings
New Bilstein sport shocks and eibach springs
got oem lug nuts 76lbs
had Hunter road force balance done $100
swapped rims with my is350 free
still vibrated above 70+ a little , under 60 really smooth
wheel bearings are the only thing left......
Old 09-01-07, 07:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Here's my .02 worth from working on my TL and my own vibration problem on my GS. The caliper can stick from either dirt or too little/ much lub on the caliper slide pins. As you hit the brake pedal, the piston(s) are pushed out pulling the the caliper inwards. The caliper rides on the slide pins. Improper lub freezes the caliper inwards and does not release outwards when you take your foot off of the brakes. Thus your pads are always against your rotor and hangs them up.

As far as the vibration, where do you feel it? In your seat or more on your steering wheel? If you rotate your wheels does the vibration change? If you feel it in your seat, the vibration is likely in the rear. Steering wheel equals front. You replaced many parts but did not mention wheel bearings. If they went bad I think that could cause vibrations. Is anything bent/stripped like a wheel stud? As speed increases the force on the wheels increase and maybe forces the minor imperfection to show itself.
Is there a way to test the caliper if its sticking? Maybe jack the car up and spin the wheel.. YOu should be able to hear the brake pad rubbing against the rotor or the wheel won't turn at all if the piston is stuck... right?

just a thought...
Old 09-01-07, 08:00 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could also tell when you push the piston in to fit the new pads. With the caliper still on and the two holding bolts loose take a C clamp and try to push the piston in. Hook the C clamp against the back of the piston and the other end against the outer pad. (I could do this on the TL, didn't try on the GS) This way you are moving the caliper in reverse rather than forward when you hit the brakes. If it takes superman strength to move them, they are stuck.
Old 09-01-07, 08:47 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you guys have the vibrating problem at a certain speed range or any speed above 70+? On my car it shakes like crazy at 65-75mph. I have a easy tempoary fix for now. Drive 80+

I have no vibrations at any other speed, even in the triple digits. It's just the 65-75mph range that's bad.
Old 09-01-07, 09:22 AM
chiamx
Driver

I also have the same problem at around 65-75 mph. The vibrations are somewhat annoying but going at speeds like 80+ the vibrations dissapear

This thread is helping alot in different ways. I hope I can get it takin care of soon.
Old 09-01-07, 09:23 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

I've got a slight vibration above 70mph, which seems to be coming from the rear. I've done new brakes, shocks, springs, sways, wheels & tires, tie rods, ball joints, SR bushings all this summer. Still have the vibration. A bad wheel bearing is my guess at this point. Having that checked next week.

Has anyone really checked into the true expected life of the wheel bearings? I've got 122k miles and my mechanic says they 'look' fine, whatever that means. Its a sealed bearing, so if it goes bad, its a replacement item.
Old 09-01-07, 09:31 AM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

get some who knows how to road force them...the first guy who did it ...got them to .25 lbs...vibrated like a bastard. Second place got the lbs down to .00 on three wheels..and .02 on the 4th. No more vibrations...
Old 09-01-07, 10:34 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Wheels have been road force balanced, and also hi speed on car balanced. This is the same issue I had when the stock 16" wheels were on the car, and with 18s its even more of an issue.

Balancing is the first logical step, but in this case the cause of the problem has 3 other notable characteristics: It is something that spins (causing the wheel to hop), something that gets hot (takes 2 or 3 minutes @70mph before it vibrates), and is something that, depending on the wheel load, comes and goes.
Old 09-01-07, 01:48 PM
skyak
Driver School Candidate

When you get your 98-00 GS tires balanced ensure that the tech (lexus or otherwise) has the attached technical service bulletin. I used to continually have vibration problems until I found this (the wheel balancing machine inputs need to be set up a certain way).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
balance.pdf (121.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 09-01-07, 10:12 PM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually didn't have any vibration on my gs400 but I started to get vibrations after I installed new ball joints....go figure. Maybe I should have just left the busted ball joints on. lol
Old 09-02-07, 09:53 AM
bwilder10h
Driver

Yesterday I took the wheels back off and was playing around with the caliper mounting bolts (greased them up well) and was looking at the rotor as I tightened the two bolts back up. What I noticed is when the caliper is tightened down in the cradle that holds the pads, the rotor stands off the hub opposite side of the caliper about a 1/16th of an inch. Now in theory, when you mount and torque the wheels down, the rotor should flatten down to the hub.

With this in mind, I wanted to try something so I left the caliper bolts loose, mounted the wheel and with the wheel still off the ground, placed a block of wood under the tire to keep it from moving and torqued the wheel down... starting with the lug furthest away from the caliper. I then tightened up the two bolts on the caliper and took the car for a drive. It seems from a single test drive that the vibrations are a little better. They certainly aren't perfect but it's an improvement.

I'll post back after more testing to see if this really makes a difference...
Old 09-04-07, 10:08 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I have a easy tempoary fix for now. Drive 80+

QUOTE]

lol, I;ve been driving 80 for a week now...

funny thing is.....on Sunday the car had a loooooooong day driving everywhere...

and ever since then the car drives like a dream! no shaking right now
Old 09-10-07, 10:10 AM
bpc23
Rookie

I've got the 65mph steering vibrations too, however, mine come and go. But I've got a slightly different opinion on the cause of the vibrations.

I tend to believe the vibrations are caused by excessive play between some of the steering rack components. I tried tightening the drag of the steering column (using the steering rack "big nut" adjustment trick), but that only served to increase my steering effort and prevent the steering wheel from shaking back and forth. I can still feel the steering vibrations, however, now it feels like something within the steering rack has too much play. The sensation I feel through the steering wheel is quite unique and feels like play between the rack and pinion.

I'm at a loss to explain why the vibration goes away after a while, but suspect it's got something to do with the speed sensitive steering.

Oddly, my '93 Nissan 300ZX suffers from the exact same steering vibration problem and I've replaced a ton of parts trying to fix it. I refuse to replace that many parts on the GS400 until we can come up with a concrete diagnosis.

Brian
Old 09-10-07, 10:27 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure I've read somewhere on CL, another member with 2GS was having the same problem. I remember that he mentioned that he took the Lexus Tech. for a test drive and was informed that the GS reaches it's harmonic at 62 mph, and two other speeds. I will attempt to find it again.

Quick Reply: Reaching the point of desperation w/ vibrations @ 60mph+