GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reaching the point of desperation w/ vibrations @ 60mph+

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 04:26 PM
gs430navmw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Wobble - GS

From the UK and we unfortunately suffer the same problem...Had my wheels balanced 4 times, including as centreless rims.
Had the alignment done - which improved it a little but still pretty bad.
Finally found a tyre place with the Hunter 9700 Force Balanced machine and what a huge difference - but didnt solve entirely - still particularly bad at 60mph and road surface seemed to make a difference.

Had all steering components checked - no problem.

Finally - I had my 02 sensors replaced (not cheap!) as they had failed....drove car away from the garage and immediately thought the car felt a lot smoother - even at low speeds. Hit 60 - no wobble, 70 - no wobble - all the way up to 100 - still no wobble.

I was absolutely amazed as I was sure it was a wheel/steering issue. It turns out the engine was not running correctly due to faulty 02 sensor - which was causing a harmonic vibration. I'm amazed at just how much vibration was caused and the fact it came on like a switch was pressed at 60mph+.

I'm not suggesting you all go out and replace your 02 sensors - but just bear in mind that the issue may not be steering/wheel related at all. I too threw loads of $$ at the wheels/steering and never entirely solved the problem.

A couple of points though - If you are getting the wheels balanced - dont waste your time on any other machine other than the Hunter Road Force Balancer - It has solved loads of issues here in the UK and is worth the extra money - should be your first (and cheapest) port of call
Alignment - Well worth reading the article at http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk - you could be wasting your time on "tracking" issues if the alignment is not done correctly.
Finally - dont give up - I nearly did myself and nearly sold the car - I'm now happily driving a GS the way it should drive - Smooth - and dont just assume its the wheels or steering at fault - even though everything appears to indicate thats the problem.

Good luck to all you guys and hope you solve the problem )

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I've had similar experiences too. I have fairly new lower ball joints and outer tie rods, Daizen steering rack bushings, adjusted pre-tensioner, alignment, road-force balanced tires, etc. and I still get vibration with my 18" 07 GS430 wheels. The amount of play in the steering is just ridiculous. This is my only complaint about the car.

Last edited by gs430navmw; 09-14-07 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-14-07, 04:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gs430navmw
From the UK and we unfortunately suffer the same problem...Had my wheels balanced 4 times, including as centreless rims.
Finally found a tyre place with the Hunter 9700 Force Balanced machine and what a huge difference - but didnt solve entirely - still particularly bad at 60mph and road surface seemed to make a difference.

Finally - I had my 02 sensors replaced (not cheap!) as they had failed....drove car away from the garage and immediately thought the car felt a lot smoother - even at low speeds. Hit 60 - no wobble, 70 - no wobble - all the way up to 100 - still no wobble.

I was absolutely amazed as I was sure it was a wheel/steering issue. It turns out the engine was not running correctly due to faulty 02 sensor - which was causing a harmonic vibration. I'm amazed at just how much vibration was caused and the fact it came on like a switch was pressed at 60mph+.

I'm not suggesting you all go out and replace your 02 sensors - but just bear in mind that the issue may not be steering/wheel related at all. I too threw loads of $$ at the wheels/steering and never entirely solved the problem.

A couple of points though - If you are getting the wheels balanced - dont waste your time on any other machine other than the Hunter Road Force Balancer - It has solved loads of issues here in the UK and is worth the extra money - should be your first (and cheapest) port of call
Alignment - Well worth reading the article at http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk - you could be wasting your time on "tracking" issues if the alignment is not done correctly.
Finally - dont give up - I nearly did myself and nearly sold the car - I'm now happily driving a GS the way it should drive - Smooth - and dont just assume its the wheels or steering at fault - even though everything appears to indicate thats the problem.

Interesting findings... Thanks
Old 09-15-07, 12:59 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

What if I only get vibrations braking from 60mph+ and have the vibration stop once I brake below 60mph+ what problem would that be?
Old 09-15-07, 07:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
What if I only get vibrations braking from 60mph+ and have the vibration stop once I brake below 60mph+ what problem would that be?
I think vibrations when applying the brake means warped rotor? Not sure.. though.. GL..
Old 09-16-07, 01:22 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs430navmw

Were you throwing an 02 code and CEL?
Old 09-16-07, 06:57 AM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think when you put aftermarket wheels on your car your gonna have issues no matter what. some people get lucky and have no issues. But i been buying wheels for the last 12 years now all different sizes , all different cars and every car had a lil vibration at high speeds no matter what i did. thats the price we have to pay to have are cars look sweet.
Old 09-16-07, 07:29 AM
gs430navmw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Were you throwing an 02 code and CEL?
Eventually yes......several different codes and CEL - although indicated other faults.....but ultimately they were all down to the 02 sensors messing everything up (missfire plus running rough)

My local lexus dealer tried to stitch me up and said it was a possible bent piston.....suggested I'd driven through water....wanted £1000 to investigate and £2000 + parts if it was a bent piston......took to an independent who correctly diagnosed.
Old 09-16-07, 09:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by phillygs3
I just think when you put aftermarket wheels on your car your gonna have issues no matter what. some people get lucky and have no issues. But i been buying wheels for the last 12 years now all different sizes , all different cars and every car had a lil vibration at high speeds no matter what i did. thats the price we have to pay to have are cars look sweet.
I agree with you but even some members have or had vibration issues with there cars stock.. Ireally think its a design flaw somewhere in the build of our GS.. Is it only the GS4's or GS3's or both?
not sure but this is the first car i put wheels on and your right its the price we pay for the GS to look sweet..
Old 09-16-07, 10:17 AM
LockLex
Driver School Candidate

My gs was smooth with the stock wheels. When I got my 20's that all changed. I got hub rings and had it balanced twice and still vibration. The second place had the Hunter 9700. Do you guys think it is better to take it to the dealership for a balance?
Old 09-16-07, 12:58 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if it is the way the wheel sits on the hub? I took off 1 Acura wheel today to see if a stock Lexus wheel would fit. I know its a 15in vs 17in and the offsets are a little off but the bolt patterns the same. The Acura wheel was snug without lug nuts on the Acura and the Lexus wheel was loose as soon as I loosened the lugs on the Lexus. Both wheels were at the correct torque 76 vs 80 as I rotate my wheels every other oil change. The center hole was the main difference as the stock Acura seem to have a 2.5 in center while the stock Lexus had a 2.25. Rust also was not an issue.
Old 09-17-07, 12:43 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I've had similar experiences too. I have fairly new lower ball joints and outer tie rods, Daizen steering rack bushings, adjusted pre-tensioner, alignment, road-force balanced tires, etc. and I still get vibration with my 18" 07 GS430 wheels. The amount of play in the steering is just ridiculous. This is my only complaint about the car.
You've done everything I've done and yet, you still have a vibration. Very odd....mines smooth now. What speeds are you getting the vibe? I had them at 65.
Old 12-01-07, 06:18 AM
LockLex
Driver School Candidate

Ok this may help someone. I had no vibrations with my stock 16's. I got 20's and it shaked like crazy. My inner bore of the rim is 66.56mm. The hub rings I had were 66mm. I got custom hub rings to fit the hub and rims. That .56mm made the difference in the world. Make sure the hub rings fit snug on the hub and in the rim..
Old 12-01-07, 11:00 AM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hub rings also fixed my vibrations i also took wheels and had them rebalanced somewhere else and they had a hunter balancing machine
Old 12-01-07, 11:01 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LockLex
Ok this may help someone. I had no vibrations with my stock 16's. I got 20's and it shaked like crazy. My inner bore of the rim is 66.56mm. The hub rings I had were 66mm. I got custom hub rings to fit the hub and rims. That .56mm made the difference in the world. Make sure the hub rings fit snug on the hub and in the rim..
Sounds like you're running Mercedes wheels. Hopefully the bolt
circle was changed from 5x112 to 5x114.3 as well!

Brake vibrations are usually caused by brake pad deposition.
Usually turning the rotors will clear this up if the rotors are
still thick enough.

Also, I've experienced slight brake vibration after some ape has
over-torqued the lug nuts. Remember, the Lexus cars only require
76 ft./lbs.!
Old 12-01-07, 11:10 AM
LockLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Sounds like you're running Mercedes wheels. Hopefully the bolt
circle was changed from 5x112 to 5x114.3 as well!
That was what the custom hub ring guy said. I have the Giovanna Dalar's 20X8.5 all around. I will post some pics when I get back home.

Quick Reply: Reaching the point of desperation w/ vibrations @ 60mph+