GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

rear spoiler and 3rd brake light issue..need help??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 06:00 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy rear spoiler and 3rd brake light issue..need help??

Hi guys, I am new to this site and in need of some help/advice. I have a GS400 that did not come with a factory spoiler. I had the lexus dealer install a brand new spoiler. However, the spoiler he installed is not OEM like the ones on the factory GS400 that sits higher, and is much wider in length. The one he installed looks like some aftermarket one, which sits much lower and is smaller in length. I am not really happy with the look of this spoiler. To make matters worse, the dealer will not disconnect the 3rd brake light inside the car. Now when I brake, I light up light a X-mas tree. His reason is he is not allowed to disconnect the 3rd brake light and if he does or removes the bulbs, the dash light will come on. Anyone know how to get around this problem so the dash light does not come on? Now if I get the OEM spoiler installed, the drilled holes from the previous installed spoiler is different and will be exposed when the new spoiler is mounted on. Has anyone else gone through this painful ordeal or have any advice?
Old 01-03-02, 06:12 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Drew, I also had a spoiler attached (OEM) but you need to know beforehand to request that a new decklid (where old brake light was) be installed that doesn't have the brakelight on it (it does cost extra btw). They simply connect the spoiler light which will replace the decklid light so that your dash won't show a bulb missing. I also suggest that you make them replace that spoiler with the proper one and make them REPLACE the trunklid, not simply fill the holes, if they give you a problem either contact Lexus corporate or bring to another dealer and explain your story.
Old 01-03-02, 06:19 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Or, when I had my car tinted, my shop used some black tape, and cut it nicely around the lights, and covered the 3rd light. Can't see at all, probably the cheapest/easiest way to go for that 3rd light.
Old 01-03-02, 06:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

But learn to use the search function my friend

I recently have started this journey into solving this too:

PROBLEM:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=29343

SHORT TERM RESOLUTION:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=27667

I've since had my rear window re-tinted to cover the light in addition to taping it.

I may leave the bulbs hooked up and simply route them to the underside of the metal rear deck.

My 'audio' rear deck will be rebuilt by the shop that did my audio install later - I just haven't had the opportunity to get back there yet.

The pic you see here - the black is Factory / the Blue is mine; a hair different in a few respects, but I love it.

HTH.
Attached Thumbnails rear spoiler and 3rd brake light issue..need help??-dsc00541.jpg  

Last edited by ///MDex; 01-03-02 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 07:07 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

yes, black tape is the cheapest solution. since this 3rd brake light topic pop up too much, I am gonna spend sometime today afterwork to make some measurement and calculate a circuit which would emulate the light bulbs

5 bulbs, 2 set of wires, it's not very hard to create 2 Thevenin equivalent circuits. (if you take EE, you should know this circuit ho ho)

Dexter, will you be my test mule if I show you how to build the circuits (should only be 2 resistors, now I need to figure out the correct value for them) ?

now, I just need someone to step on the brake for me when I am in the back measuring, i wish my legs are alittle longer :eek:

now wish if we get a little warmer here in texas...it's freezing!!!!:eek:

Last edited by BananaGS; 01-03-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 07:18 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Sure. That would kick ***.

You've got to be idiot specific though - I mean a list I can take to Radio Shack to get everything with idiot proof instructions like cut - tape - stick in here....

I don't like cutting wires, especially factory wires, so I'll be extra careful.
Old 01-03-02, 07:51 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys its been real helpful. Dex, your car looks real sharp, you and I have the same color saphire blue GS4. Your car looks ten times better though. Does your GS4 have the oval tip borla's on them? If thats the case, how do you like them? I like the sound of the stock exhaust not too loud, but want the borla tips which I belive are coming out in a few months.

Dex, your links have been helpful too. I plan on removing the brake light assemly all together and use this connection to connect my spoiler as lexuspride suggests. I do not want to drill a hole in the trunk and bring the bulb down. I called lexus parts and they can get a rear trunk cover/lid for $285. I know I can go the cheap route and use the black tape to cover it. But since I don't plan on tinting my windows that would look ugly. Plus, by removing the brake assemply, my rear view will be increased allowing me to get a better view of those clk430's in my rear view mirror. "Nice to look at, but can't run with the GS4's"

Does anyone know the part number for the OEM factory spoiler?
Old 01-03-02, 08:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Thanks

98 - Spectra Blue - I love it

Borla Mufflers - tips attached I love them too.

Yeah - I plan on removing it too, just not enough time yet, and I'm getting mine rebuilt since my JL10W3 puts a little vibration in the OEM rear deck at certain frequencies.

$285 sounds reasonable I guess for a drop in solution though - I know it will look clean for sure. I like clean.

True that about the CLKs

Enjoy!
Old 01-03-02, 09:19 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default resisters

Three 9 ohm 5 watt resisters in series across the bulb circuit will do the trick. Just plugging the spoiler LEDs into the rear brake circuit will not work becuase the LEDs do not draw enough current to "simulate" the incandesent bulbs.

But: I drilled a hole just large enough to pass the connector through to the trunk and plugged in the incandesent bulb assembly from there. Also replaced the "package shelf" with the one without the light assembly.
Old 01-03-02, 10:16 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: resisters

Originally posted by wwest
But: I drilled a hole just large enough to pass the connector through to the trunk and plugged in the incandesent bulb assembly from there.
Can you take some pics for us? I'm very curious to see where you drilled and how you mounted it.