GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GX470 vs. X5 4.6is

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 01:37 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV

Have we somehow confused "sports" as in sports "car" with "sports" as in "Sports Utility Vehicle"?

One is for the racing venue and the other is for the hunting and fishing venue. At least that's how it used to be!
Old 01-03-02, 02:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I've driven a X5 4.4 with sports package (19" rims, etc.) and it's no sports car. Impressive, definitely. Nice interior. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's tall and not confidence-inspiring when taking a corner aggressively, even if the 'car' can handle it.

The X5 is a jack of all trades and master of none.

As for TX thinking it's 'sexy' - do you have centerfolds of one?
Old 01-03-02, 03:33 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default no, No, NO!

"Jack of all trades and master of none".

IMHO the X5 3.0 is an absolutely MASTER of its SUV(SAV?) class, "trade". The price is a bit high but no one does it better.

But if you buy it expecting the "sports" part to supplant the need for a true sports car you're out of luck, like bit says.
Old 01-03-02, 04:55 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

"Centerfolds" = manifolds??? Man, I'd sure like to see those valves but I bet the stems get pasties or airbrushed........
Old 01-03-02, 05:34 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I've driven a X5 4.4 with sports package (19" rims, etc.) and it's no sports car. Impressive, definitely. Nice interior. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's tall and not confidence-inspiring when taking a corner aggressively, even if the 'car' can handle it.

Bit, Bit, Bit. I notice you take alot of thimgs (at least here) too seriously or maybe you just like to "stir the pot". Yes cars and other inatimate objects can be referred to as "sexy". But o.k., I'll use "damn good looking"! Is that better?
Old 01-03-02, 06:15 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=599775395

Nice.
Old 01-03-02, 06:18 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

LOL! Brand new year, same ol' Bit. So far I've evaded the infamous "slap", and hopefully I won't be experiencing it anytime soon. But no one is safe! I must say, though, it IS pretty entertaining.
Old 01-03-02, 06:21 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 400DGRZ
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=599775395

Nice.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! That is very "sexy", oops, I mean "Good Looking!" But nearly $80k????????? OUCH! :eek:
Although, it is riding on high $$$ a** 22' Antera's, and has been lowered 2 inches with all kinds of electronic upgrades. :eek:
Attached Thumbnails GX470 vs. X5 4.6is-cec-x5.jpg  
Old 01-03-02, 07:45 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Hey TX....

How's is goin man?

In search of an SUV huh? Well if your goin for looks I would wait for the unveiling of the GX, ****, I can take pictures for you of it in Detroit if their not released all over the place by then. I really don't think the X5 looks all that good. To me is seems like a BMW wagon with a lift kit . And looks just like every other bland BMW.

Performanse wise. Yes I would love if my fat LX could pull a 6 sec 0-60 but that's not what it's made for. I highly doubt the X5 is very well performing SUV in the aspect of what a SUV was made to do. The GX on the other hand is off the Prado, the Prado is the 90 Series Landcruiser, I don't think I need to explain the prowess of the Landcruiser.
Old 01-04-02, 07:36 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey TXSTYLE, there is a dealer in my hometown that can't give the X5 away because of its price. PM if you want their name and address. I know they have at least 4 X5 that have been on their lot for several months. If you don't plan on taking it offroad, the X5 is probably the better choice.
Old 01-04-02, 08:13 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Hey TXSTYLE, why not a wagon instead? They have more cargo space than the X5 and better handling. And for snow and such, the Allroad has height adjustable suspension and 4wd. Or a 540i, which as better performance than the X5 and more utility.

Or go the way we went, a RX. It'll get burnt by the X5, but u get a more luxurious SUV, more cargo space, and lexus quality. If you need 3 rows of seats, get the GX.

just what i think....

Old 01-04-02, 08:45 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The Lexus GX470 is supposed to be at the 2002 NAIAS. So, you can check it out there to help you compare it against the BMW X5. If anyone goes and sees the GX, pictures please!!

Nick
Old 01-04-02, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Bit, Bit, Bit. I notice you take alot of thimgs (at least here) too seriously or maybe you just like to "stir the pot". Yes cars and other inatimate objects can be referred to as "sexy". But o.k., I'll use "damn good looking"! Is that better?
TX, TX, TX. Yeah dats it... stirring the pot. It's not that I'm too serious (those who have met me in person would hopefully agree), it's that I'm a contrarian if you hadn't noticed

But I like questioning literal interpretations... is a car 'sexy'? Do I want it to have my children? Or just make out with it? I don't think much of people calling their cars 'she' or 'her' either. Do gay men call their cars 'he'?
Old 01-04-02, 03:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

TX, TX, TX. Yeah dats it... stirring the pot. It's not that I'm too serious (those who have met me in person would hopefully agree), it's that I'm a contrarian if you hadn't noticed

But I like questioning literal interpretations... is a car 'sexy'? Do I want it to have my children? Or just make out with it? I don't think much of people calling their cars 'she' or 'her' either. Do gay men call their cars 'he'?
Well for the sake of keeping things between you and I friendly or let's just say "positive" please refrain from any sarcastic remarks where my posts are concerned and I will extend to you that same "RESPECT". I was raised with the principals of, "If you don't have anything good to say then say nothing." I believe in this as it not only reduces the chance for friction, but you never really know what the result can be.................
Old 01-04-02, 08:31 PM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

I have to admit that if I had the cash I'd love to have one of those hot rod SUVs. That one pictured above with the anteras is spectacular. Just my 2 cents.

Z

Quick Reply: GX470 vs. X5 4.6is