GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GX470 vs. X5 4.6is

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 09:56 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb GX470 vs. X5 4.6is

Well guys I'm coming to a crossroad here. The lease is coming up on my wifes SUV and we have both agreed that one is neccessary for hauling & safety purposes, not to mention when we have little "superstars" running around! (That's kids!) At any rate I have had my eyeballs on the X5 for a while now. It to me is without question the "sexiest" SUV out there, and I'm no truck man by any stretch. (Give me a 450 hp moded GS & a Diablo 6.0 and I'll be a happy fool!) But then I heard about the upcoming GX470 from my manager up at the dealership who said it would be based on the GS platform. Well I finally dug up some info so here it is. But I see that it is not on the GS but rather an existing truck platform that Toyota already has. None-th-less, I'm sure it will be pretty damn sweet! But now, enter the new X5 4.6is which recieved modest exterior treatment (including factory 20's!)
and a 0-60 of @ 6 sec. not to mentioon those sexy good looks! But here is the GX info: The new SUV, the GX470, will debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January and be shown at the Chicago Auto Show in February before going on sale in the United States in January 2003.The $45,000 to $50,000 GX470 will join the $35,000 RX300 and the $60,000 LX470.
While the RX300 is built on a Camry-based car platform, the GX470 will be built on the platform of the Toyota Prado truck sold in Japan.Lexus spokeswoman Nancy Hubbell said the GX470 will be about the size of a Mercedes-Benz ML sport-utility and offer the same full-time all-wheel-drive system and 4.7-liter V-8 now offered in the larger LX470, which is built on the Toyota Land Cruiser platform.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-02, 10:15 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

txstyle,

man..i was just ponder the same thing the other day. i was never a suv guy, but taking care of parents meaning sometimes you need the room for long trips..here's my thoughts:

1. if budget allows, i would tip the scale more towards the x5 4.4/4.6 for its bit more sprting factor, relatively speaking. since the 4.6 will be new, the price will be quite stiff..and there is that quality issue..

2. i usually do not get the 1st year production car, but lexus/toyota quality is as good as they get.

3. i do not even mind getting a demo/slightly used one, as i saw a ml55 with 6k miles for $49500.

let us know what you decide.

william
Old 01-03-02, 10:20 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

And now for the new X54.6is:
The high-performance powerplant in the BMW X5 4.6is sets new standards for power output and fuel efficiency. The immensely successful V8 petrol engine has been enhanced for the X5 4.6is. A modified engine management system squeezes even more power out of the bigger 4.6 litre unit, helped by new charge cycle components, including a redesigned camshaft and manifold intake. More power, more torque, more responsiveness: the BMW X5 4.6is is an all-wheel-drive athlete ready to take you wherever you want to go. Power and reliability - the
V8 petrol power unit in the
BMW X5 4.6is produces an
enormous 480 Nm of torque,
and 244 kW (347 bhp) of pure,
non-stop power: an irresistible
combination for the lover of
all-road sports performance.

So what do you guys think? It's all about "opinion" you know what I'm saying.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 vs. X5 4.6is-redx54.6.jpg  
Old 01-03-02, 10:45 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Performance SUVs/wagons are the dumbest things on earth. That's my humble opinion. If you want performance, then a GS4xx or M-x is what you want. Or a Ferrari. Or a Lambo. I could go on. How often do you take full advantage of your GS's 5.8 sec. time? If the answer to this question is "Not often" then you shouldn't look at "performance" SUVs unless you want to brag or have $$$ to burn, or both. The X is a fine SUV. Good-looking, extremely safe, good performance for an SUV, and BMW's awesome South-Carolinian reliability and quality built in. Will the performance-version X out handle or out-accelerate your GS? No. Leave performance to the GS. Leave grocery-getting, family-hauling, etc. to a "normal" SUV; no need to spend all that $$$ on a "performance" SUV. I think the GX would be just fine for your purposes. I see no need to spend the extra money on the 4.6i. Just my $0.02...PLEASE NOTE: I'm not trying to stirr anything up or criticise you. It's just that in my mind, a performance SUV has no place anywhere. Oh, if you want off-road performance, get a Land Crusher or a Rover truck. The GX will probably be really good, too. The X-series isn't the best choice for off-road.
Old 01-03-02, 10:49 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
And now for the new X54.6is:
The high-performance powerplant in the BMW X5 4.6is sets new standards for power output and fuel efficiency. The immensely successful V8 petrol engine has been enhanced for the X5 4.6is. A modified engine management system squeezes even more power out of the bigger 4.6 litre unit, helped by new charge cycle components, including a redesigned camshaft and manifold intake. More power, more torque, more responsiveness: the BMW X5 4.6is is an all-wheel-drive athlete ready to take you wherever you want to go. Power and reliability - the
V8 petrol power unit in the
BMW X5 4.6is produces an
enormous 480 Nm of torque,
and 244 kW (347 bhp) of pure,
non-stop power: an irresistible
combination for the lover of
all-road sports performance.

So what do you guys think? It's all about "opinion" you know what I'm saying.
Do the exhaust tips still stick through the rear bumper? Are there six of them now for this performance version? Maybe eight if we get lucky...One for each cylinda...The trim and rims are nothing special. Nice, but nothing special.
Old 01-03-02, 11:10 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Do the exhaust tips still stick through the rear bumper? Are there six of them now for this performance version? Maybe eight if we get lucky...One for each cylinda...The trim and rims are nothing special. Nice, but nothing special.
Well thanks for your "humble" opinion wantAnewLex, but if you knew me, then you would know that "performance" is not all I'm after. And this question is more or less for those who do have a general liking or actually own an SUV (in this class-sporty) you understand what I'm saying? And since this is a "serious" purchasing decision, I would like to have "serious" feedback. But thanks for your opion all the same.
Old 01-03-02, 11:21 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Well thanks for your "humble" opinion wantAnewLex, but if you knew me, then you would know that "performance" is not all I'm after. And this question is more or less for those who do have a general liking or actually own an SUV (in this class-sporty) you understand what I'm saying? And since this is a "serious" purchasing decision, I would like to have "serious" feedback. But thanks for your opion all the same.
I thought my first reply was somewhat serious. You're right, I don't know you and I wasn't implying that performance is all you're after. I like SUVs. I just don't see the need to buy THE ultra-performance SUV (4.6i) if you already have a very capable sports car (you do). The X5 4.4 or 4.0 (I don't know what engines they offer) would do you fine, I think. The V8 should be plenty quick for an SUV that size. You could always put 20"s on it if you want. You'd save a bunch of money too.

Last edited by SecPole14; 01-03-02 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 11:22 AM
JWgs430
Rookie

TX
my dad has a 2001 v8 sport package X5 which i drive quite often. We also had a 99 landcruiser, which is similar the lx470, (which we also test drove before we got the X5). I know it is not the same as the GX but here are some observations.
1) the X5 is probably one of the best handling and driving SUVS out there. It's very torquey and handles on rails for and SUV. It feels more like a sports car. The shifts are not smooth and engine noise is very loud while cruising.
2) comfort wise, the lexus is much better in terms of quietness and ride quality. I have a gs430 lowered(l-tuned) on 19's and 30 series tires and the ride on the x5 feels similar if not stiffer than my car!
3) quality of interior parts definely goes to the lex. The BMW interior feels cheap for a mid 50K car.
I do not know about the new GX but if you want a fun driving suv, the X5 V8 w/ sport package is the way to go.
Old 01-03-02, 11:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JWgs430
TX
my dad has a 2001 v8 sport package X5 which i drive quite often. We also had a 99 landcruiser, which is similar the lx470, (which we also test drove before we got the X5). I know it is not the same as the GX but here are some observations.
1) the X5 is probably one of the best handling and driving SUVS out there. It's very torquey and handles on rails for and SUV. It feels more like a sports car. The shifts are not smooth and engine noise is very loud while cruising.
2) comfort wise, the lexus is much better in terms of quietness and ride quality. I have a gs430 lowered(l-tuned) on 19's and 30 series tires and the ride on the x5 feels similar if not stiffer than my car!
3) quality of interior parts definely goes to the lex. The BMW interior feels cheap for a mid 50K car.
I do not know about the new GX but if you want a fun driving suv, the X5 V8 w/ sport package is the way to go.
Yeah, what he said. Again I say, no need for the 4.6i. You know, TXSTYLE, Porsche is going to release their SUV in the near future, you might want to wait for that. I heard it's going to have a very fancy adaptive suspension on it and it will feature engines that are more powerful than even the 4.6i. Turbos, I think. Don't know about the price. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-03-02, 11:39 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

TX, presumably you are after some of the "U" as well as the "S". With that in mind, the Beemer is probably the least utilitarian of the SUVs. Less luggage space than the 540i wagon!!!

Unless you just really are after the testosterone look, it seems to me that your better choice would actually be the wagon. Better handling and more utility all at the same time.

Off-road, you say?? Well, I can only go by the mag's reviews but we've both read those; the Roundel is optimized for on road ***-hauling.

Now that I think about it, in a strange way the BMW reminds me of the SC430. It almost seems to me that both were designed as, sort of, adult toys with minimal emphasis on day to day function other than driving fun in a particular segment. I think both are niche market vehicles that fit their niche well, but not much else.

But as SUVs go, the 4.6 looks pretty good!!!

And the Cayenne is an unknown at this point. Knowing Porsche, I'd be willing to bet it's more in the vein of the 4.6 than having any real "utility".

Last edited by mooretorque; 01-03-02 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 11:41 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Fascination

Now, I can understand, completely, why a big V8 is apprpreate to something like an LX470, Tahoe, Suburban, or and LC. Personally I would buy never any one of those, but if I did I would want enough HP appropreate to the weight and size of the vehicle.

I think the BMW X5 3.0 is absolutely the ultimate SUV.

The ML320 is second, and the RX comes in third.

The MDX will supplant the RX in third position once it has HID, VSC and TRAC.

Actually the MDX would then go to the top if it could be torque biased to the rear instead of the front.

The "U" in SUV (yeah, I know, that isn't the term BMW uses)means utility and to me utility means functionality. And when I think of functionality with regards an SUV I think of "FINESSE".

It seems to me that the result of having an over-powered SUV is trying to figure out how to depower it during the times its basic functionality is useful! Like that "snow" switch on my GS300.

Yes, a high HP can really get up and go on dry pavement. But that will never be the primary reason for buying as SUV.

So why all the fascination over high HP medium size SUVs?

Am I just too old or just too practical for this thread?

Oh, I'm not looking forward to the Cayenne becuase I think it will be the beginning of the end for what has been a really tremendous marque. A real shame, really.
Old 01-03-02, 11:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Without question, obviously this vehicle succeeds at one thing: Being a rather large performance vehicle w/ "SUV" branding! It just happens to look Damn Good at it! I know about the lacking cargo and sporty suspension, believe me, so obviously I'm just gathering opionions. Wantanewlex, you are referring to the upcoming "Cayene" from Porsche. Not even a consideration for me. I think it's Butt-Ugly! The911 looks ridiculous at being an SUV. No thanks.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 vs. X5 4.6is-cayenne.jpg  
Old 01-03-02, 12:02 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Without question, obviously this vehicle succeeds at one thing: Being a rather large performance vehicle w/ "SUV" branding! It just happens to look Damn Good at it! I know about the lacking cargo and sporty suspension, believe me, so obviously I'm just gathering opionions. Wantanewlex, you are referring to the upcoming "Cayene" from Porsche. Not even a consideration for me. I think it's Butt-Ugly! The911 looks ridiculous at being an SUV. No thanks.
Is that an official pic or the mag's rendering? If it's official, then I wouldn't want it either. If you want more sport than utility, get the X-whatever. As someone else mentioned, the 540 wagon would be a great alternative. In any case, follow your heart. Take a test drive.
Old 01-03-02, 12:34 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Is that an official pic or the mag's rendering? If it's official, then I wouldn't want it either. If you want more sport than utility, get the X-whatever. As someone else mentioned, the 540 wagon would be a great alternative. In any case, follow your heart. Take a test drive.
Thanks Wantanewlex, that's exactly what we need to do. And no, unfortunately, that is not a rendering! :eek: Here's another gruesome shot:
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-02, 12:37 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thanks Wantanewlex, that's exactly what we need to do. And no, unfortunately, that is not a rendering! :eek: Here's another gruesome shot:
Good God! Take it away!

Quick Reply: GX470 vs. X5 4.6is