GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Suspension Issue - Shifty suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 10:20 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steering rack bushing, front control arm bushing set, and tom's 6 link should resolve all these problems as long as you're on stock struts and have a good set of tires.
Old 09-10-07, 11:25 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Have you been able to check the steering rack bushings? On the SC and even the early LS the steering rack busing would go bad just like all the other bushings. This would cause the entire steering rack to shift causing irratic steering, vibration, bump steer and what not. It may not be your problem, but woth checking out.
I checked the steering rack bushings by jacking up the front end and turning the steering wheel from side to side. The rack didn't budge so I am thinking the bushings are fine, but, just to be on the safe side, I have ordered them and am waiting for them from Sewell. The car has 127K miles and I doubt they were ever replaced, so even if they look good, they probably still need to be replaced.
Old 09-10-07, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
I checked the steering rack bushings by jacking up the front end and turning the steering wheel from side to side. The rack didn't budge so I am thinking the bushings are fine, but, just to be on the safe side, I have ordered them and am waiting for them from Sewell. The car has 127K miles and I doubt they were ever replaced, so even if they look good, they probably still need to be replaced.
Of course the steering rack wont move if you have the car jacked up.
When you turn the steering while the car is up, all the energy will be used to turn the wheel. Since there will be nothing to stop the wheels from turning, the rack wont move.

To test the steering rack bushings, you must have your front wheels on the ground so that the wheels can't be turned as much. This creates enough force on the steering rack that it may actually move before the wheels turn.

Copy and paste from the DIY thread:

Q: How do I know if I need to replace my bushings?:

A: You'll want a friend/buddy to help you with this. First, turn your ignition to the "on" position without turning the engine on. This will prevent the steering from locking up. Next, have your friend sit in the car and continuously steer the steering wheel back and forth quickly. While your friend is doing this, look under the car at the steering rack. If it's moving, your bushings are worn out.
Old 09-17-07, 03:44 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Of course the steering rack wont move if you have the car jacked up.
When you turn the steering while the car is up, all the energy will be used to turn the wheel. Since there will be nothing to stop the wheels from turning, the rack wont move.

To test the steering rack bushings, you must have your front wheels on the ground so that the wheels can't be turned as much. This creates enough force on the steering rack that it may actually move before the wheels turn.

Copy and paste from the DIY thread:

Q: How do I know if I need to replace my bushings?:

A: You'll want a friend/buddy to help you with this. First, turn your ignition to the "on" position without turning the engine on. This will prevent the steering from locking up. Next, have your friend sit in the car and continuously steer the steering wheel back and forth quickly. While your friend is doing this, look under the car at the steering rack. If it's moving, your bushings are worn out.
Thanks, for the info.
Old 10-02-07, 10:57 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

any update?
Old 02-08-08, 10:44 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my steering wheel is all over the place on the highway too. 94k miles. its been a few months, any updates chenzo?
Old 02-08-08, 06:15 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

oo. bumped this thread up after a while...
last I checked he was waiting for some more stuff to come in before putting everything on..

might want to shoot him a PM.