GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What would you pick? A Certified Pre-Owned Lexus, or an Auction Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 11:36 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you pick? A Certified Pre-Owned Lexus, or an Auction Lexus?

I'm trying to make the decision here myself. I've always been going for the auction car (looking for a lower cost GS4, this one is just too much for me!) because you can save thousands at auctions, especially if you know somebody in the business who will just charge you for shipping plus a small commission (usually $200-$500) But recently, I've been attracted to buying from the dealer--a Lexus dealer that is. (Mine in particular) Sure, prices are several thousand dollars higher, but there’s alot you get in a Certified pre-owned Lexus. Full bumper-to-bumper warranty for 3years/100,000 miles, free loaner cars, (like when you buy new!) completely updated maintenance, a perfect pre-owned vehicle, and piece of mind. See, Lexus wont certify the car unless they know it’s a good one, they don’t want to have to pay for repairs in the future, so they check, clean, and update the vehicle inside out before they certify it, that’s the only way for them to maximize their profit. Its not that Lexus's are not dependable vehicles, its just that you never know what to expect.

That’s my dilemma, Save a couple thousand, or spend a couple thousand and get it certified from your Lexus dealer? What do you think?

Midnite
Old 01-03-02, 11:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think several thousand will get you peace of mind. You'll get a Lexus that's completely taken care of, and you won't have to worry about years to come. I would say it's a worthy investment.

Go with a certified-preowned.
Old 01-03-02, 11:59 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Default Re: What would you pick? A Certified Pre-Owned Lexus, or an Auction Lexus?

Originally posted by MidniteLexus
Sure, prices are several thousand dollars higher
True, but depending on your negotiation skills you might be able close that gap to a reasonable amount.

but there’s alot you get in a Certified pre-owned Lexus. Full bumper-to-bumper warranty for 3years/100,000 miles
Depends on how many miles and how old the car is you might still have factory warranty. I bought mine with under 17,000 miles so CPO didn't really make that much of difference. I still have approx. 2 years or 18,000 miles left on factory. For added security buy an extended warranty...usually 5 years 100,000 miles.

With mine I have so many overlapping warranty, I won't be paying anything for the next 5 years.

free loaner cars, (like when you buy new!) completely updated maintenance, a perfect pre-owned vehicle, and piece of mind.
From what I hear it all depends on the Dealer...some treats every customer the same...others have not. So, if you have high praise for your dealer then I see why they wouldn't give you a loaner. Updated maintance is good. Perfect pre-owned is probably overstated....I would say it is probably better than an auctioned vehicle and with a CPO you can definetly ask them to fix it any problems you see....my dealer is great I had a few things they repalced and charged it to the used car department. My same thoughts exactly...I felt more at ease that I got a CPO....might be more psychological but hey the key is that I don't have to think about it.

That’s my dilemma, Save a couple thousand, or spend a couple thousand and get it certified from your Lexus dealer? What do you think?
Well, I went with CPO but knew that I would have to pay for that premium...not to mention the tax...ouch. In addition my CPO vehicle was a lease return and was able to talk to the previous owner...so I feel like I was getting a car that has not been abused. The previous driver was like 80 years old.

Also check Lexus website to see the list of things that is guaranteed on a CPO Lexus.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 01-04-02, 06:11 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO

Definitely CPO, Auction is a crapshoot, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Alot of money riding on the line, not just the couplke thousand dollar price difference.
Old 01-04-02, 09:44 AM
888GS430
Driver School Candidate

I've been working for a Toyota Dealer for 12yrs. Toyota Factory employees get the certified vehicles themselves. Let the Lexus dealer buy it from the auction then certify it for you. Just remember, Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 01-04-02, 11:33 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default auction

Only did that once, a 92 LS400, went directly to Lexus dealer's financial manager and bought the extended warranty for $700.
Old 01-04-02, 04:36 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Arrow ya me too....

Thats what I'm probobly going to do.. get the Lexus dealer to pick one out, certify it and sell it to me.... now if only everything in life operated as smooth as they are said!

Midnite
Old 01-04-02, 06:37 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck, Let us know how it turns out. I usually look in the local ads for Lexus and goto the private sellers house and look over the car real good and sit down with them and look at all the maintanence records they have and then borrow the vehicle for about 4 or 5 hours and have my buddy at my local Toyota dealership check it out from top to bottom and if he gives the go ahead, I negotiate the price in my favor and buy it. I save thousands of dollars that way over the dealer and I have piece of mind that it all checks out and I pay no dealership overhead fees and commisions which add thousands of wasted dollars for the buyer. Just my .02 cents
Old 01-06-02, 07:38 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default they found one..!!!

My dealership found one for me..im going to look at it tomorrow..

hopefully i can get rid of my white one and get this black one and save my butt some money on payments! shhheeessh!

its a '98 GS4 blk/tan 41k miles...17" chromes... rear spolier, and Nak ( i wanted nav but nak sounds so awesome) ... price should be just around 30-31k. and it will be certified..

I'm going to test drive it, and test the Nak system tomorrow..... i just burned a CD with tracks specifially to see how that nak system performs!

Midnite
Old 01-06-02, 09:07 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Keep us posted and hope you get a smashing deal
Old 01-07-02, 10:33 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default its si nice

Who said that the Nak system in a GS4 is "similar" or "not that much different" from the standard audio? (98-2000 models) Its off the hook!

I played this CD that I made just for the Nak system and boy did it bump and sound just awesome. I loved it. As for buying the car, if they give it to me for under 30 grand (which i can probobly pull off because i work there) then I'm taking it---and I'm gonna try and not think about missing out on Nav. I can wait for them to find me a Nav car.. but ive been waiting since october and I need to lower my payments. QUICK!

If its under 30.. its mine.

Midnite
Old 01-08-02, 05:58 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

What does the Nakamichi sound system give you over the Lexus Premium sound?
Old 01-08-02, 09:35 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Midnite:

I'm in the market for a GS4 just like you. Couple of things I've learned:

1. Many Lexus dealers get the vehicles from "Lexus" auctions, which can include other Lexus dealers and private dealers as well.

2. CPO Lexus is done by the dealer, at their discretion. The only thing that can't be certified is a vehicle with 60k+ miles or 5+ years old, car has been flooded or frame damaged.

3. The cars are tuned, cleaned up, and put on the lot. The CPO warranty does NOT cover adjustments, trim items, paint, battery, glass, and normal wear/tear items.

4. You can get the maintenance history of a CPO vechicle from the Lexus dealer as long as the car was taken to a Lexus dealer for service. Otherwise, it won't show up on the report.

So to sum it up, if you or some you know is mechanically savvy, and can spot body work, you can save a few grand by getting it from an auction. Or you can look for a CPO GS this has the factory warranty still remaining , that way you'll have a bit more coverage. Best bet is buying from a private party - it's usually cheaper, and they tend to be more honest and retain all the paper work.
Old 01-09-02, 01:32 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default ALTAF...ERFAN>. others...

ok.. here is my new dilemma...

They bought the car for $26500.. remember... a 98 blk/tan GS4 Nak, 17" chromes, brand new tires... and rear spoiler on the car.... 41k miles..certified, and ready to sell... after about $3,000 in tune ups, certification and cleaning, its list price with their mark-up is $32900. He said its mine for $31,000. I think that If i walked in there and told them to sell it right now $30,500, they'd do it... BUT....I told myself if it was under $30,000 id buy it... if not.. id wait to the next auction and hope he comes up with a Nav car,.. which is what i originally wanted! (Two weeks down the road)

So..should I buy this one? Or take the chance, wait, risk losing this one...and hope for a nav car at their next auction?

Midnite
Old 01-09-02, 02:05 PM
genius1512
Driver

I got mine from an auction too fresh off lease and it saved me alot and my local dealer also does alot for me.

Quick Reply: What would you pick? A Certified Pre-Owned Lexus, or an Auction Lexus?