GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need to pass safety inspection,.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 06:58 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need to pass safety inspection,.....

Well I recently purchased a GS4 and was going over all the crap MD safety inspection involves and came across the high beams. Well long story short they don't come on, neither does the indicator on the instrument cluster. HIDs are ok but when I hit the high beams the fogs go out and only the HIDs light up. I changed the High beam bulbs checked the fuses. Still no luck any one have any other ideas?
Old 09-04-07, 07:50 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe a loose connection?
Old 09-04-07, 08:02 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the DRLs coming on? They're the high beams running at low power. If they come on, then your wiring is good. If not, then you probably have an open circuit somewhere.

JB
Old 09-05-07, 05:34 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Are the DRLs coming on? They're the high beams running at low power. If they come on, then your wiring is good. If not, then you probably have an open circuit somewhere.

JB
Now that you mention it I don't think they are. I'll have to double check. If they don't come on I guess it would be a open circuit somewhere, right?

Anything else I could check?
Old 09-05-07, 06:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

JB

DRLs were added mid-year in 1999, so this test isn't a sure thing for him since (his signature says) his GS is a 99.
Old 09-05-07, 06:04 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
DRLs were added mid-year in 1999, so this test isn't a sure thing for him since (his signature says) his GS is a 99.
Well the car was originally purchase in early 99 by the first owner according to Carfax. So I think you might be right. Is there a way i can be sure?
Old 09-05-07, 06:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare1
Well the car was originally purchase in early 99 by the first owner according to Carfax. So I think you might be right. Is there a way i can be sure?
If they turn on during the day, you have DRLs (sorry, only way I know to tell and it doesn't help you diagnose any).
Old 09-05-07, 10:49 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

ok,.. I do have DRL's according to the original window sticker, but they do not come on. The high beams/DRL's don't come on at all. When fogs are on and I turn on the high beams the fogs go out. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-05-07, 11:11 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If they turn on during the day, you have DRLs (sorry, only way I know to tell and it doesn't help you diagnose any).
The 98 and early 99's that did not run the high-beams at half power for DLR had a small (194) bulb inside the high beam enclosure that comes on with the low beams.
Old 09-05-07, 12:38 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DetMich1
The 98 and early 99's that did not run the high-beams at half power for DLR had a small (194) bulb inside the high beam enclosure that comes on with the low beams.
The little wedge bulb is not DRL. All GS has a wedge bulb, regardless of years.
Old 09-05-07, 02:09 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, definitely need to ascertain whether you even have DRLs. (The little wedge bulbs are the parking lights). But, I *smell* a faulty relay. Either way, you need schematics for your car. There's a Toyota website where you can download the manual and schematics for $10/day. Search the forum. I think it's the TIS or TIIS or something similar. Good luck.

JB
Old 09-05-07, 02:41 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Fogs....

Originally Posted by Rare1
ok,.. I do have DRL's according to the original window sticker, but they do not come on. The high beams/DRL's don't come on at all. When fogs are on and I turn on the high beams the fogs go out. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Rare1,

I don't know about the high beam problem, but the fogs are supposed to go off when the high beams are on. Was that one of your concerns as well? That's normal, now about your high beam problem I hope someone else can chime in and help. Let us know how it turns out...

-Joe
Old 09-05-07, 07:40 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Yeah, definitely need to ascertain whether you even have DRLs. (The little wedge bulbs are the parking lights). But, I *smell* a faulty relay. Either way, you need schematics for your car. There's a Toyota website where you can download the manual and schematics for $10/day. Search the forum. I think it's the TIS or TIIS or something similar. Good luck.

JB
Yeah I did check about the DRLs, I do have them. But they do not come on. So the whole DLRs and the high beams don't work. Does anyone know if the circuit is one in the same. Yeah schematics would help. Thanks I'll check it out. Does Hayes make a manual for the gs400?

Originally Posted by R.U. IN AW?
Hey Rare1,

I don't know about the high beam problem, but the fogs are supposed to go off when the high beams are on. Was that one of your concerns as well? That's normal, now about your high beam problem I hope someone else can chime in and help. Let us know how it turns out...

-Joe
thanks about that I was concerned that fogs going out was a part of the problem. this is good to know so I don't waste my time checking that out. I check out the relay as well. thanks for the info.

I really appreciate the help thanks everyone.
Old 09-06-07, 08:53 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the wiring diagrams for the lighting system, I hope this helps.

Old 09-06-07, 09:32 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

This should help. Thanks Bill_GS3. Where'd you get those anyways? I've been trying to find some and I've had not luck.

Thanks Again

Quick Reply: Need to pass safety inspection,.....