GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Flood Damage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 05:08 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Flood Damage!

Very unfortunate thing happened to me today, first off it was hailing on the side of town that i work but no damage from what I could tell so far, but something even worse happened.... when the hail stopped and it was just regular rain I jumped in my car to bring it into the install bay of Circuit City to have some speakers installed and at the back of the plaza theirs a 8foot wall to my right I turn into the plaza making a right then make an imediate right to head towards the install bay and boom! a big splash and the car stallsi opanic and jump out of the car and tried to push it but wasnt getting very far very fast so I called a co-worker of mine and eventually we got it out of the water....when trying to start the car it made a very loud ratling noise so i figured my engine was gone...i lock it up and start walking away and a big off white cloud starts smoking up from the battery section and somehow my ground wire catches on fire! i think just one of my EDFC wires was damaged with that happening though...anybody have and experience with this? How deep of a hole am I in? Progressive says "flood damage it will more than likely be totaled" but I actually like this 400..... sorry so long.
Old 09-12-07, 05:21 PM
17gs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damnnn man, sorry to hear that. I woulda jz let the car sit there and let it dry up a lil bit, before start it back up.
Old 09-12-07, 05:36 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

im hoping its not too bad.... when it was getting towed maybe a pint of water came out of the muffler...
Old 09-12-07, 07:30 PM
cheap300
Rookie

That sucks, I had the same thing happen tome on of my cars. If you really like the car and just need help fixing it have your body shop write a low estimate. They will pay to put a junk yard motor in it with about same miles. I would let them total the car if it had alot of water in it. Our cars have way to much electrical crap in it that dont like water and it just causes problems later. On a lighter note I still havent put your wheels on my car.
Old 09-12-07, 08:31 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you might have hydrolocked your motor if it is making a loud sound. bent valves and piston damage i think. might need a new motor just to start.
Old 09-12-07, 10:43 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the oil and start the car and see what's up. Hopefully there isn't much damage and it's still driveable. I got caught up in rain last year and a rod blew a hole in the back of the block about the size of a golf ball.

It isn't exactly totalled. Was like $3500 for another engine + labor from wherever you want (prob around 700-1500). It's VERY HARD to just find a shortblock for the GS400.
Old 09-12-07, 11:05 PM
questnyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres an idea. If progressive says its a total. They will give u the book value for the car right? Well you can buy the total car back from them for about $500. (thats wat my girlfriend did) and fix it up, and pocket the change. Just a suggestion...
Old 09-12-07, 11:06 PM
hoboattack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lxgs4
sounds like you might have hydrolocked your motor if it is making a loud sound. bent valves and piston damage i think. might need a new motor just to start.
That's what it sounds like to me. Take any mods you have off the car before progressive takes a look at it and takes it from you (if it's totaled). Either sell the mods for cash or put them on a new GS since you'll get a decent sum of money if it is totaled.

Here's to hoping for something minor though...
Old 09-13-07, 12:54 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so the wall collapsed??
Old 09-13-07, 06:13 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

no the wall didnt collapse, ther boom i was refering to was my car crashing into the water...
Old 09-13-07, 07:05 AM
rayy
Lead Lap

wow.. that sucks.. lucky for me that i dont have to deal with water like that up here in nyc.. but i do have to deal with all the crazy people they let on the road
Old 09-13-07, 08:29 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Change the oil and start the car and see what's up. Hopefully there isn't much damage and it's still driveable. I got caught up in rain last year and a rod blew a hole in the back of the block about the size of a golf ball.

It isn't exactly totalled. Was like $3500 for another engine + labor from wherever you want (prob around 700-1500). It's VERY HARD to just find a shortblock for the GS400.
I agree with mikevanle. Change all your fluids and see if the car will start. Most of the cars we get at the dealership that are flooded will not turn over at first, but will after the fluids are changed. Hydolock seizes the engine. Most of the time you will not get it to turn over at all. If the water did not get up to the steering column, you might get it fixed by insurance, not totalled.
Old 09-13-07, 09:32 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

man that sux..good luck to you man
Old 09-14-07, 01:20 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

.....totaled!
Old 09-14-07, 02:01 PM
excluesive