GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with Exact Motorsports RCA "lowering block"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 08:33 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnee78
Im pretty sure that I have figured out your problem..When you say your upper control arm hits the upper inner fender are referring to the top part of your upper ball joint hitting?If it is this may be your problem..The problem is your too low on your stock 17's..Because the diameter of your wheels are too small compared to 19's & 20's your car is sitting lower than it would be if you had bigger wheels.If you had bigger wheels you wouldn't be trying to lower the car so much in order to achieve a certain look.So because the RCA raises the steering knuckle it also brings the upper ball joint closer to the upper fender.When you lower the car even more, you are bringing the upper fender down closer to the balljoint..Make sense??What you need to do is raise the car up more for now and get bigger wheels later.Chances are that since your car is pretty low the bigger wheels may already tuck when you install them,you may even need to raise the car even more..Its funny the shop who sold you these couldn't figure it out..
Makes sense...So you are saying that If I get 19's and reinstall the RCA's to lower the car a 1/2 or so I wouldn't be having a problem with the Controls hitting? Thanks a lot Johnee
Old 09-21-07, 08:40 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taeng
Makes sense...So you are saying that If I get 19's and reinstall the RCA's to lower the car a 1/2 or so I wouldn't be having a problem with the Controls hitting? Thanks a lot Johnee
that would be correct..I am very familiar with these rca's because I introduced them to CL a couple years ago as a camber solution and installing them on my own car..
Old 09-21-07, 11:41 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Thanks Johnee!
Old 09-29-07, 08:07 AM
dle
Pole Position

i guess nobody has actual before and after specs on these camber blocks. How can anyone swear by them if are not even sure how much camber has been corrected? I bought the 3 year unlimited alignment plan with NTB so when I pick this up I will have solid correction numbers for everyone

Also, I found this online description of the camber block. If its the same thing, which I think it is, it is also called an SS Kit.

" The SS-Kit is developed to achieve the ride quality and lowered appearance all at the same time. Stiffness is usually increased as a result of changing the suspension coils to aftermarket products since the shortened spring interferes the damping capacity, although the SS- kit makes it possible to maintain the working range of the dampers by the unique technology of raising the tires instead of shortening the springs. The vehicle is lowered without changing the coils thus with no sacrifice in the spring and damping performance, the comfortness remains the same from stock."

I know exactly they mean, when I had coilovers on its lowest setting it greatly reduced the ride quality. installing the ss kit lets you ride at the same height you were at before but you can raise your coilover settings higher so the ride quality is affected as much.

hope this helps..

taeng - let me know if you want to sell your kit.
Old 10-02-07, 07:17 AM
DJC
Rookie

OK - not to hijack this thread, but I've searched CL and there seems to be limited information about these lowering blocks. Like dle, I'm looking for measurable results of before and after camber. Additional lowering is a secondary concern for me because I am tired of chewing up front tires after 12k miles!

Can someone reply with the names of vendors that carry these for our cars (CL sponsors preferred of course!), and if you have real experience with them, please comment on design/brand preference, structural integrity, durability, measurable camber change, etc. This is not a part that I want to break or have to replace again.

Many thanks,
DJC
Old 10-02-07, 07:26 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJC
Can someone reply with the names of vendors that carry these for our cars (CL sponsors preferred of course!)
Many thanks,
DJC
The title of this thread tells you the vendor he bought it from.
Old 10-02-07, 08:09 AM
DJC
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSoup
The title of this thread tells you the vendor he bought it from.
Yes, I realize that...just looking for input on different designs/brands/etc. As with many mods for our cars there are multiple designs to choose from. I don't know if there is a difference with these "blocks" or if they are all the same, that's why I am asking. Also looking for real experience with measurable camber change.
Old 10-02-07, 09:33 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

I'd also like to hear from someone who actually installed these and was able to see a clear and measurable camber improvement.
Old 10-02-07, 09:36 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by SloGS400
I'd also like to hear from someone who actually installed these and was able to see a clear and measurable camber improvement.
I guess my previous post didnt already answer your question..What exactly would you like know??
Old 10-02-07, 09:40 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Hey,

Just want to know if the blocks significantly helped alleviate the camber issues arising from lowering our cars. Were you able to get your alignment within factory specs?
Old 10-02-07, 09:52 PM
dle
Pole Position

Auto Couture sells this overseas. They are called " SS Kit ". It was in the 2007 newsletter they passed out at the tokyo auto salon i went to this past january. I'm not positive, but I think they are the same thing. no where in the product description does it say anything about improving camber...

thats why i want to see before and after results...
Old 10-03-07, 07:46 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SloGS400
Hey,

Just want to know if the blocks significantly helped alleviate the camber issues arising from lowering our cars. Were you able to get your alignment within factory specs?
It did help with the camber issue..I wasn't able to get the camber within factory specs but it was very close to the point were I didn't notice any inside wear..
Old 10-03-07, 07:53 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dle
Auto Couture sells this overseas. They are called " SS Kit ". It was in the 2007 newsletter they passed out at the tokyo auto salon i went to this past january. I'm not positive, but I think they are the same thing. no where in the product description does it say anything about improving camber...

thats why i want to see before and after results...
I dont think they are making these to help with camber but instead to help take pressure off suspension parts.When you lower a car 3-4 inches or more you are putting alot of negative pressure on the balljoints , bushings, ect..So with this it helps by lifting the steering knuckle which will make the car look lower and bring most of the suspension parts back to spec..When I was looking into these I assumed that it would fix camber and bought a set and once installed I was correct.
Old 10-09-08, 03:20 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question regarding the RCA block from Exact Motorsport....

I just got new Toyo Proxes and I don't want to ruin these like my previous PilotSport tires. I'm almost all the way down on HKS Hipermax and the camber is maxed out at -2.6 degree (just got an alignment few hours ago). How much camber would the thickest RCA block from Exact Motorsport give me back?

I like my stance, I want to fix my suspension geometry, and I need my camber to be closer to OEM spec so I figured this would be the perfect fix.
Old 10-09-08, 04:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I have a question regarding the RCA block from Exact Motorsport....

I just got new Toyo Proxes and I don't want to ruin these like my previous PilotSport tires. I'm almost all the way down on HKS Hipermax and the camber is maxed out at -2.6 degree (just got an alignment few hours ago). How much camber would the thickest RCA block from Exact Motorsport give me back?

I like my stance, I want to fix my suspension geometry, and I need my camber to be closer to OEM spec so I figured this would be the perfect fix.
Keep in mind, if you install RCA's, there is a big chance you will bottom out the suspension. That's what causes the UCA to hit on the top of the wheel well. As far as camber correction, I think is 1* to 1".

Quick Reply: Help with Exact Motorsports RCA "lowering block"