GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with Exact Motorsports RCA "lowering block"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 06:11 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The RCA's I had on my car are now on my brother's car. They correct 1* of camber. And if you go too low the upper control arm will hit. You'll have to cut a hole or something so it'll stop happening.
Old 10-09-08, 07:35 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....this whole lowering a GS thing is a friggin PITA.
I go lower, my tires rub, need alignment, can't get within spec, eats up tires, get SS kit, and now I have to deal with the upper control arm?? As if it wasn't hitting the wheel wells already...ugh.

so do i take the SS kit, fix 1 degree of camber, and bottom out even more

or

get new tires every few seasons...
Old 10-09-08, 07:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I have a question regarding the RCA block from Exact Motorsport....

I just got new Toyo Proxes and I don't want to ruin these like my previous PilotSport tires. I'm almost all the way down on HKS Hipermax and the camber is maxed out at -2.6 degree (just got an alignment few hours ago). How much camber would the thickest RCA block from Exact Motorsport give me back?

I like my stance, I want to fix my suspension geometry, and I need my camber to be closer to OEM spec so I figured this would be the perfect fix.
The RCA thickness gives about a 1 inch drop, so if you add the RCAs and raise the coilovers up the one inch to keep the ride height the same, then the camber correction should be roughly the same as if you had no RCA's and raised the coilovers up 1 inch.

The camber improvement will vary depending on how much drop you have. It all depends on your starting and ending point. There is not a constant amount of x-degrees improvement.

At the end of the day all this talk on camber improvement will be minimal.

The RCA stands for "roll center adapter" for those that don't know. It's primary purpose is to adjust the roll center geometry.

It does not stand for CCA = Camber Correction Adapter.

If people want to use the RCA's for some other purpose other than to help roll center, well sure there are other advantages for these blocks, such as lowering 1" without buying coilovers, or clearing your LS400 BBK. It may help camber a bit, but if you are trying to correct for example: -2 degrees of neg camber, this is not the solution.

Adjustable upper A-arms is the real solution IMO.

Last note to the OP, Taeng. The RCA's ARE NOT to blame for his A-arm problem. If you lower our cars using coilovers, air ride, cut springs or RCA's. It doesn't matter what you use, at a certain drop point YOU WILL eventually hit the upper control arm. Unless your tire diameter is large enough to hit the inner fender well first. In Taeng's case he had stock dia tires, so trying to tuck is going to hit the A-arm for sure.

This is the mechanical limit of the suspension. If you want to exceed the design limits of what the Lexus engineers built into our cars, do so on your own accord, but don't blame the RCAs, or anything else.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-09-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 07:58 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
The RCA thickness gives about a 1 inch drop, so if you add the RCAs and raise the coilovers up the one inch to keep the ride height the same, then the camber correction should be roughly the same as if you had no RCA's and raised the coilovers up 1 inch.

The camber improvement will vary depending on how much drop you have, there is not a constant amount of x-degrees improvement.

At the end of the day all this talk on camber improvment will be minimal.

The RCA stands for "roll center adapter" for those that don't know. It's primary purpose is to adjust the roll center geometry.

It does not stand for CCA = Camber Correction Adapter.

If people want to use the RCA's for some other purpose other than to help roll center, well sure there are other advantages for these blocks, such as lowering 1" without buying coilovers, or clearing your LS400 BBK. It may help camber a bit, but if you are trying to correct for example: -2 degrees of neg camber, this is not the solution.

Adjustable upper A-arms is the real solution IMO.
Blow Design makes adj upper A arm but at 97500 yen. I've been talking to the Aristo guys and they pretty much told me if its only 2.6 degree, don't worry about it.

I just want my camber to be within 1.5 - 2 degrees since the GS is my dd. I understand that the primary purpose of the RCA is to fix the suspension geometry. But considering it is a GS, I'm not too worried about it. I'm interested in the by-product of the camber correction.
Old 10-09-08, 08:03 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are these RCA?
Old 10-09-08, 10:28 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
get new tires every few seasons...
Find a shop that is willing to flip your tires every few thousand miles.
Most shops say this does not work and tires will cotinue to wear uneven, but trust me, flipping the tires will prolong the life of a camber wear tire.
Old 10-12-08, 07:57 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Find a shop that is willing to flip your tires every few thousand miles.
Most shops say this does not work and tires will cotinue to wear uneven, but trust me, flipping the tires will prolong the life of a camber wear tire.
i acutally do this every season. it's a PITA though