GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Favorite tire on the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 04:46 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Falken FK452's FTW
Old 09-17-07, 04:57 PM
fbapacible
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AW99GS400
General Acclam UHP are the best tires i had ever owned. I am running 245/35/19 front 275/ 30/19 rear, great treadwear, great performance, great in wet, u wont be disappointed.

adrian
+1 price great, treadwear great, grips great too.
Old 09-17-07, 07:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

am I the only one that cannot stand Michelin PS? They are sooooooo loud!
Old 09-18-07, 06:35 AM
pgaplaya
Driver School Candidate

Kevin GS,
I actually have a staggered set up, I am running 245/35/20 on the Front and 275/30/20 on the Rear. They look great on the car, I will try and get some pics up in the next day or so.

The Ebay seller I purchased mine from is "Cleanin_out_the_garage" if you do a search for Vredestein Sessanta you will find them. The phone number listed is 818-340-9444. Again, my set up only cost me $800 to the door.

Let me know what you decide.
Old 09-18-07, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Kevin, my suggestion is don't cheap out. Tires are the biggest deal with performance for our cars, from braking to acceleration to handling.

In reading all over the web, go with PS2s, GY Eagle F1s and other top tires. Crap tires just equal crap most of the time.

I'll be taking off my craptastic Riken Raptors this month for GY F1s and I will NEVER get cheap crap again. (not sure what the hell I was thinking).
Old 09-18-07, 10:05 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pgaplaya
Kevin GS,
I actually have a staggered set up, I am running 245/35/20 on the Front and 275/30/20 on the Rear. They look great on the car, I will try and get some pics up in the next day or so.

The Ebay seller I purchased mine from is "Cleanin_out_the_garage" if you do a search for Vredestein Sessanta you will find them. The phone number listed is 818-340-9444. Again, my set up only cost me $800 to the door.

Let me know what you decide.
Thanks, PGA.

Ironically, I've already talked to that guy and few others extensively about those tires, and they sound like a winner. I talked to one guy who doesn't even sell them, and he said to buy them without hesitation. He was a Goodyear dealer. I was like "wow!"

HOWEVER, my one major issue is that I can't move them from side to side to extend the inside wear on each side. With my current Goodyears which are directional (and I have the staggered 19s setup too), I can just move the front tire to the opposite side of the car, which means the inside becomes the OUTside. I do this every 10,000 miles or so which lengthens the life of the tires, especially with the extensive negative camber which wears out the inside of the tires first.

With the Vredestein's, you can't do that. I can move it to the other side (since they're non-directional), but I have to flip them...so the inside has to stay the inside, and the outside must stay the outside. So, that inner wear is still going to wear out first on each individual tire.

How long have you had them? And how's your inner tire wear?

Other than that, those tires are winners!

Pictures would be great, of course.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Kevin, my suggestion is don't cheap out. Tires are the biggest deal with performance for our cars, from braking to acceleration to handling.

In reading all over the web, go with PS2s, GY Eagle F1s and other top tires. Crap tires just equal crap most of the time.

I'll be taking off my craptastic Riken Raptors this month for GY F1s and I will NEVER get cheap crap again. (not sure what the hell I was thinking).
Thanks, Mike. It's a tough decision. MANY people are happy with their more affordable tires, and for good reason. They got them at a decent price, they handle well, and they are getting good wear.

Michelin PS2s and Goodyears are excellent tires, for sure, but if I can 95-90% of their goodness at a reasonable price, I at least have to consider it.

I am doing tons of research right now, talking to various tire people.

Still deciding though.

Rest assured though, I'm not buying any "craptastic Riken Raptors".
Old 09-18-07, 12:53 PM
pgaplaya
Driver School Candidate

Kevin GS,
I have only had them for several weeks and I don't have my car lowered, however i am considering lowering it. Tell me about your set up? Could they not fix the camber on the alignment?

Let me know, I am thinking about the Swift Mach Springs only lowers 1" or I may get the L-Tuned springs.

THanks for the help!! BTW I had Proxies on my BMW with 19's and the Vredestein's IMO are far superior. I believe this will be the only tire I will by going forward.
Old 09-18-07, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Thanks, PGA.

Ironically, I've already talked to that guy and few others extensively about those tires, and they sound like a winner. I talked to one guy who doesn't even sell them, and he said to buy them without hesitation. He was a Goodyear dealer. I was like "wow!"

HOWEVER, my one major issue is that I can't move them from side to side to extend the inside wear on each side. With my current Goodyears which are directional (and I have the staggered 19s setup too), I can just move the front tire to the opposite side of the car, which means the inside becomes the OUTside. I do this every 10,000 miles or so which lengthens the life of the tires, especially with the extensive negative camber which wears out the inside of the tires first.

With the Vredestein's, you can't do that. I can move it to the other side (since they're non-directional), but I have to flip them...so the inside has to stay the inside, and the outside must stay the outside. So, that inner wear is still going to wear out first on each individual tire.

How long have you had them? And how's your inner tire wear?

Other than that, those tires are winners!

Pictures would be great, of course.

Thanks, Mike. It's a tough decision. MANY people are happy with their more affordable tires, and for good reason. They got them at a decent price, they handle well, and they are getting good wear.

Michelin PS2s and Goodyears are excellent tires, for sure, but if I can 95-90% of their goodness at a reasonable price, I at least have to consider it.

I am doing tons of research right now, talking to various tire people.

Still deciding though.

Rest assured though, I'm not buying any "craptastic Riken Raptors".

I guess in the limited time I've driven against you I know your style and I think the best tire is what you need. You, bitkahuna, lexism and myself I consider to be the best drivers I've seen in a GS.
Old 09-18-07, 03:13 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess in the limited time I've driven against you I know your style and I think the best tire is what you need. You, bitkahuna, lexism and myself I consider to be the best drivers I've seen in a GS.
Hey Kev, sounds like we need to get Mike up to one of our NELOC meets, LOL. Quite a bit of uuhhh skillful driving. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the Nitto 555. I have had good luck with them and the tread life has been excellent. Have any of you guys had bad luck with them?
Old 09-18-07, 03:33 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Continental contisportcontact 3 best tire i have ever used.
Old 09-18-07, 05:45 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Love the PS2s, but pricey to be sure. Had Goodyear F1-GSD3s, which have tons of grip. But, they ride hard, they're directional, and are loud as HELL when they get worn.

PS2 has been a dream. Smooth ride, VERY quiet, and non-directional, so you can rotate them as needed to get more wear, if you go with a matched set.
Old 09-18-07, 07:13 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelin Pilots thats the tires that go on High performance sports cars.
Old 09-18-07, 09:01 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Good lawd, Mike, that's high praise, especially coming from you.

I baby my GS most times, but when I want to get into it, I do push that baby to the upper limits. So thanks for reinforcing the fact that the quality of the tires really matter over the long haul. Sometimes I need to be reminded that in many cases "you get what you pay for".

It's coming down to the PS2s and the Sessantas. Reading about them and talking with some Sessanta dealers, I hear nothing but good things about them, especially at high speeds and high-speed cornering. It's a favorite over in Europe on the Autobahn amongst many of the high-speed cars. So it's a definite maybe.

Originally Posted by GREED777
Hey Kev, sounds like we need to get Mike up to one of our NELOC meets, LOL. Quite a bit of uuhhh skillful driving. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the Nitto 555. I have had good luck with them and the tread life has been excellent. Have any of you guys had bad luck with them?
They look pretty good, Greed. And I think I can get those for about $1000+ shipping. That's a nice deal on 4 performance tires.

Reviews are mixed, some reviewers said they're loud, some complained about a lack of traction in the rain, and some said the wear was fast. But others loved them, and loved the dry weather traction.

Since I can get the Sessantas for less, I'd still lean towards them.

And YES, let's get Mike up here for some spirited driving, or let's go south. An Oohpapi/1Sick caravan would be HELLA fun.

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
Love the PS2s, but pricey to be sure. Had Goodyear F1-GSD3s, which have tons of grip. But, they ride hard, they're directional, and are loud as HELL when they get worn.

PS2 has been a dream. Smooth ride, VERY quiet, and non-directional, so you can rotate them as needed to get more wear, if you go with a matched set.
Lex, I have the GSD3s now, and I agree with you on all counts. Great grip in the rain though, the few times I have driven in the rain. Very secure footing on wet payment, even with my V8.

PS2s are certainly the tire I'm truly considering, but I can get the Sessantas at half the price of the PS2s. So, I may just have to give those a shot. At least I can then give my CL review of them over time, to see if they meet my satisfaction. And I don't think they'll be any worse than my current Goodyear's, so I think I'll be OK. Even if they wear fast, I think I can get my money's worth out of them.
Old 09-18-07, 09:05 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pgaplaya
Kevin GS,
I have only had them for several weeks and I don't have my car lowered, however i am considering lowering it. Tell me about your set up? Could they not fix the camber on the alignment?

Let me know, I am thinking about the Swift Mach Springs only lowers 1" or I may get the L-Tuned springs.

THanks for the help!! BTW I had Proxies on my BMW with 19's and the Vredestein's IMO are far superior. I believe this will be the only tire I will by going forward.
I have the 19" fat setup staggered, lowered on Teins. Alignment can't fix the camber, so the inside wears MUCH faster than the middle and outside of the tire. It really accelerates the wear on the tire, so that's why being able to move one tire from the left to the right, making the inside now the OUTside, it really has extended the life of my tires.

With the Sessantas, I won't be able to swap sides like that....so I am worried about excessive inner wear severely shortening the life of the tire. So we'll see. So far, this is the ONLY negative I can find about the tire. So I'm still tempted.

Again, thanks for posting your input...I had never even heard of the tire until you posted. The power of the internet still amazes me.
Old 09-18-07, 10:52 PM
vborder
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiLS
why are tires directional??

i just got 20s and was wondering
Soulja boi... Im thinking they are designed to be directional, is maybe it will break the water better, grip better, and tract better thats my theory, but mabe i can be all wrong. Think about it, if the design was for the water to break out through the back (as the tire is rolling forward). Maybe im confusing myself too, who im i kidding

Quick Reply: Favorite tire on the GS?