GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Horse to the Nguyen Stable

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 12:44 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs
thanks...
your welcome. and happy modding carbongs-san.
Old 09-19-07, 12:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Honestly is only good if it has any merits. Looks are based on preferences. Just because certain people have different preference that may not live up to a particular standard does not mean his/her car isn't good.

You can't really say there are better looking GS that are tastefully done, while excluding personal opinion. There is no standard. It's an oxymoron. Looks and preferences coexist with each other. You judge looks based on your own preference.

I, for one, absolutely hate slammed cars because it looks ugly to me. I cringe when people suggest others to slam their car. The nasty camber looks retarded.But I wouldn't go around making comments about it just because it's not what I like. There are other people out there who look at our cars and wonder why we put body kits, LED, taillights, etc on a luxury car. Would they be wrong because they do not like what we like? of course not.

If a person is proud of his/her car, he/she will boast about it. Nothing wrong with having pride. If everyone had the same standard, all GS on this forum would look the same. Quite honestly, a lot of trends I use to like now looks boring.

[/discussion]
Old 09-19-07, 12:54 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks again for the refreshing comments. and i will continue to do so, taking the advice of others and intervening ideas into the mix. and yes i have used the ideas of others during my modifications. where it may not please everyone it makes me happy. just curious upstate, how many shows and achievements have you gone to and received? how many sponsors and companies stand behind you in what you do and believe in and trust you enough with your decisions to back you up financially, with parts, and with their brand names? how many articles have you been featured in with both local and national print media mediums? this is not being cocky but trying to show that there is a difference between someone who mods their car for the pure reason of modding it and someone who mods it to make it in print and place well at shows. i may be young but i have many mentors who have been in the show scene for years. also, the "show" scene in georgia is much different than that of other states. the import scene is still growing here and we have only heard bits and pieces about jdm and vip styling.
Old 09-19-07, 12:57 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Honestly is only good if it has any merits. Looks are based on preferences. Just because certain people have different preference that may not live up to a particular standard does not mean his/her car isn't good.

You can't really say there are better looking GS that are tastefully done, while excluding personal opinion. There is no standard. It's an oxymoron. Looks and preferences coexist with each other. You judge looks based on your own preference.

I, for one, absolutely hate slammed cars because it looks ugly to me. I cringe when people suggest others to slam their car. The nasty camber looks retarded.But I wouldn't go around making comments about it just because it's not what I like. There are other people out there who look at our cars and wonder why we put body kits, LED, taillights, etc on a luxury car. Would they be wrong because they do not like what we like? of course not.

If a person is proud of his/her car, he/she will boast about it. Nothing wrong with having pride. If everyone had the same standard, all GS on this forum would look the same. Quite honestly, a lot of trends I use to like now looks boring.

[/discussion]

that was very well put. thank you for your perspective. it is like when i attend shows. most recently was nopi nationals. there are a lot and i mean a lot of cars there that i either didn't like or did not understand. but i still appreciated every one of them because that was the output of someone else's work, time, and money.
Old 09-19-07, 01:29 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoah!!! I just saw this and I just have to ask why all the negativity surrounding Tony's car and style. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding his enthusiasm and energy for being cocky and snobbish?! If you actually look at his posts and event coverage, it really shows his sincere love of the sport/hobby of modifying cars, and competing in car shows. I realize that everyone has their opinions, but please base it on fact and not misconceptions. A lot of the negative comments are just uncalled for. If it's constructive, fine, and Tony has shown his maturity and willingness to learn from CONSTRUCTIVE negative comments. I too like a tastefully, cleanly modded car, but favor the more aggressive styling of some of the show cars, and honestly, if you want to compete in the show scene, you have to stand out. I've based alot of my mods knowing that I need to be aggressive, but I only choose the mods that appeal to me, yet will also help me compete. That being said, great buy Tony, and I look forward to seeing what you and your cousin do to bring the GS4 up to par, and what you have in store for the GS3. That GS4 is looking mean and clean, and your GS3 is tearing up the show scene!!! Keep it up bro!!!
Old 09-19-07, 01:36 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

thanks man, you are the one who inspired me to continue with the gs300 build. i've always looked to you for your opinion and it is times like these why i know i trust your judgment and your wisdom. you are a good friend, mentor, and team mate. you keep pushing the envelope with your builds. i can't wait to see the progress on the sc and the turbo gs. hopefully i will be doing some of the wrenchwork myself.
Old 09-19-07, 01:45 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

thanks again for the refreshing comments. and i will continue to do so, taking the advice of others and intervening ideas into the mix. and yes i have used the ideas of others during my modifications. where it may not please everyone it makes me happy. just curious upstate, how many shows and achievements have you gone to and received? how many sponsors and companies stand behind you in what you do and believe in and trust you enough with your decisions to back you up financially, with parts, and with their brand names? how many articles have you been featured in with both local and national print media mediums? this is not being cocky but trying to show that there is a difference between someone who mods their car for the pure reason of modding it and someone who mods it to make it in print and place well at shows. i may be young but i have many mentors who have been in the show scene for years. also, the "show" scene in georgia is much different than that of other states. the import scene is still growing here and we have only heard bits and pieces about jdm and vip styling.

so you want to take this route with it huh? fine. ill remind you about our conversations thru PM a ways back about your "sponsorships" that we've had in the past, and also about the PM's in which we've discussed my previous show and track vehicles and sponsorships ive obtained netting upwards of $20,000 in parts (full turbo kit, tires, multiple sets of wheels, clutches, nitrous/cooling, exhausts, suspensions, body pieces, interior components, seats, engine builds, etc; as compared to your highly boasted 4 tires & cleaning products). im 26 years old, ive already done the import & track "scene" for a solid run. i saw what it was turning into for 95% of the population involved after the "fast & furious" catastrophe (ex: your gs and every other civic out there with a shaved gas door and halo projector headlights with glowing exhaust tips) and i've since stepped out. the past gs i owned and the one i drive now will be admired by anyone that sees them, young and old, because they were put together with passion and proper focus to clean detail. neither had been or is being built for show, but ill tell you this, if we park together at a venue, minus your carbon fiber shift boot, tvs, neon led and headlight eyebrow points they give out to every car just for "having stuff" and not for building a car that flows, i will place over you. peoples choice awards? mine. 9 out of every 10 people will stop and use the last shot on their camera to take a picture of the 430 instead of yours. i hate sounding conceited but you are absolutely making me do it. trying to tout your "major" sponsorships in your sig. and all this "coverage" in any serious print you're saying i dont have...ever heard of superstreet, import tuner, modified mag, sport compact car, you know, real "import" & "show" style magazines that companies actually care about having their products displayed in? did i miss you in those?..i absolutely would NOT have touched this base in this thread i already stepped out earlier, but now the comments about my achievements and where i've been? come on. all im saying is to most the way you come across with your car on here is more than a little self consumed, as compared to others on here with some of the most incredible cars ive ever seen that will barely even bother to post up the occasional pic without it being harrassed out of them.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 09-19-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 01:50 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

wow, i remember how that conversation ended as well. but you also must remember that i've only been in this scene for 2 years. and it is all props to those who have helped me get where i am for such an inexperienced and sometimes naive enthusiast. that's great for you and i admire your car too. thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion. hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can sit down and have a real discussion and get to know each other better. i can probably learn alot from you. the internet does not allow for such conversations as words can be perceived in many different ways by different people.
Old 09-19-07, 01:56 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

wow, i remember how that conversation ended as well. but you also must remember that i've only been in this scene for 2 years. and it is all props to those who have helped me get where i am for such an inexperienced and sometimes naive enthusiast. that's great for you and i admire your car too. thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion. hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can sit down and have a real discussion and get to know each other better. i can probably learn alot from you. the internet does not allow for such conversations as words can be perceived in many different ways by different people.
apparently so.
Old 09-19-07, 02:45 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carbongs, just do what you do man...I really like your attitude when it comes to the razzzing...I admit that I've razzed ya once or twice but you always have a good attitude about it. Remember though, don't get too cocky because of a few trophies at minor shows and magazine shots from "show coverage". Stay humble, keep modding and maybe one day you'll get a full feature article in a real magazine and some 6 ft trophies from more "elite" shows....do what you do man....and keep it up
Old 09-19-07, 03:04 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff notes?

Anyone?
Old 09-19-07, 03:06 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know. i've done my research and am deciding on which tires to go with for the next show season. we are currently looking at falken, nitto, and cooper tires for next year. looking to do 235's in the front and 245's or 255's on the rear.
thanks!
i would go with Falken or one size smaller on the Nitto for the front. i changed from Falken to Nitto and it's like night and day, you might want to reasearch a little more on this.
well, it realy comes down to wheel's width as well, so GL.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 09-20-07 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 03:17 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by golfkid777
Cliff notes?

Anyone?
he said this, then he said that, then he said this back, then he said ,"oh yea?" then he said this and that.... got it?? cause there will be a test on it.... PS, I'm going to miss your ride man
Old 09-19-07, 03:43 PM
jecko714
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man this is gettin' better and better......cant we all just get along..
Old 09-19-07, 04:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please take it to PM guys.

Quick Reply: New Horse to the Nguyen Stable