GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 10:07 AM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter? WTF

Hey guys, I have been having some issues with the lex lately. Sometimes in the morning I will turn over the key and get nothing. It doesn't click like a alternator it just doesn't do anything. After a few times or letting it sit a few minutes it starts right up. I just don't get it and have never seen this before.

Has anyone else experienced this same problem with an outcome of what needs to be replaced.

Or should I bring it down to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

00 Lexus gs400
Old 09-22-07, 10:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Starter is dying/dead.

It's a common problem on the 98-00 GS400.

Expect to pay about $250-300 for a brand new starter. It's a 6 hour job so figure out what your dealer chargers by the hour.

Or get them to rebuild the starter. The rebuilting kit itself is only $50. Labor still applies.
Old 09-22-07, 10:23 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try checking the connections/wires/grounding/power from battery first. Try checking cheaper things first. When the car does not start, tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts right up GSteg is on the money.
Old 09-22-07, 10:35 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem this time last year.

What happens is solenoid gradually goes bad in your starter. It cannot carry as much power that is needed to turn your engine over. If you are keeping your starter until you can get a new one on, I would recommend carrying some jumper cables with you incase it gives you any problems. When you hook up the jumpercables to your battery and crank, it gives just enough power to start it up. This will not work too long, but its a fix to hold you over until you can get a new one.

I installed a Bosch starter that ran me around 350. The cost of labor at a show put me right at $800! Thats a ton, but looking back, the money may be worth it with all that is required to change the beast.

I'd get on the starter situation because oneday it will leave you high and dry. Mine clicked on and off for nearly a month, then oneday it just wouldnt turn over at all.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

dan
Old 09-22-07, 10:38 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Try checking the connections/wires/grounding/power from battery first. Try checking cheaper things first. When the car does not start, tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts right up GSteg is on the money.

Are you able to reach the starter to tap it? It is below the intake manifold.
Old 09-22-07, 11:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Can't hit the starter in our GS400. It's impossible without taking the manifold out. Then again, if you have the manifold out, you might as well install a new starter

Specifically for our cars, if the starter acts up once or twice, you'll know it's definitely going to go out very soon.

Mine died on me on a rainy weekend leaving me on the side of the road. This was 2 weeks after I bought my car Heard the imfamous clicking noise once or twice, and the car worked fine for awhile until that dreaded day came
Old 09-22-07, 11:17 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine also died a few weeks after getting my car. Not a cheap fix either. Good luck!
Old 09-22-07, 01:18 PM
denvergs4
Driver

So I went down to the local shop today and had everthing checked out. They said NO problems, however they said if it's the starter's cylanoid (bad speller) they won't be able to tell unless it's doing it right then.

Does that make sense to anyone?
Old 09-22-07, 01:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

If your car has a rattling noise that occurs once in awhile, you'll take it to the dealer to get it diagnose. The service manager might take your car around the block and come back only to tell you "NO problems". Will you take his word for it, even though you truly heard the rattles with your own ears?

The problem with our starter is that the problem occurs randomly. Some starters die of slow death, and others die of instant death. There isn't really a way to diagnose it unless the starter doesn't work at all.

If the problem happens one more time, then fix the problem. Either have the starter replaced for about $600-700 (parts and labor), or have it rebuilt with Lexus starter contact brush kit for ~$350-400 (parts and labor).

But before doing that, take the advice above and check out the little (cheaper) fix first. Check the battery connection, the battery's life, etc.
Old 09-22-07, 02:16 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
If your car has a rattling noise that occurs once in awhile, you'll take it to the dealer to get it diagnose. The service manager might take your car around the block and come back only to tell you "NO problems". Will you take his word for it, even though you truly heard the rattles with your own ears?

The problem with our starter is that the problem occurs randomly. Some starters die of slow death, and others die of instant death. There isn't really a way to diagnose it unless the starter doesn't work at all.

If the problem happens one more time, then fix the problem. Either have the starter replaced for about $600-700 (parts and labor), or have it rebuilt with Lexus starter contact brush kit for ~$350-400 (parts and labor).

But before doing that, take the advice above and check out the little (cheaper) fix first. Check the battery connection, the battery's life, etc.
Hey Gsteg,

Is the rebuild as reliable as a new one? Or is it better to spend the money on a new one when you are paying that much labor to begin with? Also - what's the difference between an oem starter and the Bosch one mentioned above? Anyone know?

Scott
Old 09-22-07, 02:35 PM
smarti
Intermediate

i just finished installing my starter this afternoon. bought starter from ebay and $100 for labor. i work at a bodyshop so i got one of the guys to do it. took a total of 2 hours. i knew my starter was going out when i would sit in my car for about 5 mins trying to turn the key over but would only hear a click.
Old 09-22-07, 02:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey Gsteg,

Is the rebuild as reliable as a new one? Or is it better to spend the money on a new one when you are paying that much labor to begin with? Also - what's the difference between an oem starter and the Bosch one mentioned above? Anyone know?

Scott
A rebuild should be pretty much reliable. Most of the dead starters out there are because of the contact brushes. They get worn down over the years with so many cranks. The armature, body, magnet, etc are generally fine. If you want a peace of mind, get a new starter.

I dont know the difference between bosch and the OEM unit. The OEM unit is $250 brand new at the dealer. You can probably find them for $200 if you shop around or look for a hookup. In any case, the new starter should last you quite some time unless your car is a pizza delivery car

I've 'heard' that the starters you buy nowadays are better than the ones coming from the 98-00 starters. Then again, you hardly hear any problems with the 01+ GS430s. Its generally the 98-00 GS400 guys who have this problem.
Old 09-22-07, 03:03 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denvergs4
So I went down to the local shop today and had everthing checked out. They said NO problems, however they said if it's the starter's cylanoid (bad speller) they won't be able to tell unless it's doing it right then.

Does that make sense to anyone?
There are 4 tests that a shop can do to test a starter:
1.A pull in test 2.A hold in test 3.A clutch pinion rear return test 4. A no load test. All require access to the various leads to the starter. I have never attempted any so will defer to others more experienced as to the access availability. I would have hoped that with a breaker bar and a hammer a tap would have been possible.

I would ask myself how long I am planning to hold on the car as to what option I would go with,rebuild same with few parts, factory rebuilt up to original spec with more parts if avail by Lexus(Honda does this), aftermarket -Bosch makes some pretty good products, new lexus redesigned as suggest by GSteg. Go online and compare specs between the two.
Old 09-22-07, 09:25 PM
996TT
Driver School Candidate

Had the same symptoms on my car, 99 GS400 56K mi. Took it to Lexus of Tampabay and was ready to spend about $1000 to replace starter. Turns out it was the starter relay, the purple one and not the green one that I had tested beforehand. Relay was $88. Maybe this will help.
Old 09-22-07, 10:00 PM
kelly400
Driver

Default iTS THE STARTER

A starter in a gs400 is worth about 100k, I have two of them, one with 250k miles plus and the other with 125k. Two replacements in the first and one in the second, both around 100k each. There is alot involved with replacement, so I usually have the dealership do it for about $1000. Get it to the dealer before you are stranded as I was the first time this happens. Also, it tends to happen more for some reason when cold outside. GL

Quick Reply: Starter? WTF