GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where Is Lexus Going...............

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 09:30 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Where Is Lexus Going...............

Well as you can see, the upcoming GX is a "hot" topic here in the GS section, and rightfully so. Although I own and totally enjoy my GS4, I take interest in what Lexus is doing with it's other models. Particularly due to the fact that there appears to be a "trend" in "softness" on their part. Again I have said this time and time again, I do consider myself the "minority" when it comes to Lexus sales statistics, as are 95% of us on this forum! How many potential buyers are going into the Lexus dealerships and inquiring as to: available superchargers? More displacement engines? Sportier suspension? Beefier wheels & tires? etc. We want all out performance & luxury to boot! But seriously, when I/We take a good ernest look at the last few models i.e. The new ES, SC, & GX, (LS is geared for pure luxury) w/ the exception of 1 model the IS, it appears that Lexus will maintain a "softer" edge over it's competition. Which has me seriously wondering if the forthcoming GS will be stronger or at least an optional model (direct competition for the M5, E55 and others) or just be enough to keep it's performance numbers where they are currently? I just received my Feb. issue of Motor Trend. In it I quote a Lexus ES owner:
There is great competition in the "affordable Luxury Sedans" as your Nov. issue points out. I was really looking forward to the 02' ES as a previous 98' owner and current 01' owner, I was expecting "something special". Lexus did a decent job w/ the interior, but "failed" w/ the power delivery. We can get 45 more hp from the I30 and 50 more from Acura TL-S. How sad it is for Lexus that the competition is walking away from them in this tight market.
I totally agree w/ this point and I believe the same can be said for the new GX. This raises the question of what is in store for all of us GS guru's and the faithful GS owners alike........... I will go so far as to say that we are not alone in requireing/wanting more "Bang" in our personal haulers. Just flipping thru the pages of my mag, you are hit with 2-page advertisemets for the new Nissan Altima bosting it's 0-60 times of 6.28 (just a few minor tweaks and this car will easily run w/ a stock GS400 :eek: ) or the new mucsle of the I30 w/ 255 hp!
And get ready for this! :eek: I just read of Jaguar's planned release of the 03' S-Type R!!! In the article they say, "We don't have the room here to talk about all that's up with the S-Type for 03'! With the BMW M5 clearly in it's cross-hairs, the R packs a supercharged 400-hp DOHC V8, along with suspension, brake, rolling stock, interior, and appearance upgrades! The naturally aspirated S-Type powerplant grows from 4.0L/281-hp to 4.2L/300-hp!!! You think the "Luxury Marque" makers aren't waking up to the fact that we want to ride in a 4-door w/ supple leather, but hang or surpass that Corvette or Porsche next to us on the tollway?????!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Old 01-08-02, 09:41 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know how we would be able to Contact Lexus?? or get them to come to ClubLexus forum and get some ideas, I totally agree with TXSTYLE, I forgot which carsite I was on, about three months ago, they said that the New 04 or 05 GS would be built to compete with the M5, but Lexus doesn't really target the crowd who buys superfast luxury cars that handle like sport cars, they should come out with a GS500 where it could have a 5.0 V8 Supercharged, crankin out like 460 hp, -=) that would be nice....
Old 01-08-02, 09:48 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the Upcoming Jaguar S-Type R......
Attached Thumbnails Where Is Lexus Going...............-jag.jpg  
Old 01-08-02, 09:49 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default 1 More.........

S-Type R 400hp!!!
Attached Thumbnails Where Is Lexus Going...............-jag3.jpg  
Old 01-08-02, 09:55 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
Does anyone know how we would be able to Contact Lexus?? they should come out with a GS500 where it could have a 5.0 V8 Supercharged, crankin out like 460 hp, -=) that would be nice....
I would much rather see a "normally aspirated" engine cranking out 400+hp!!! When you start addind "power adders" you are prone to more mechanical issues. I have personally spoken with L-Sportline and they have (or know of) researched and tweaked the current powerplant to well over 400hp!!! It is a $$$ issue for them, but with the manufacturer at the helm, Lexus could easily tweak this/our engine on a mass production scale without breaking the bank!
Old 01-08-02, 10:11 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Txstyle,

I know you where you are coming from, the lex keep staying the same as far as performance numbers and such. And the competition leaves them in the dust as far as number wise and performance. I think Lexus is geared more toward the casual driver and the buyer that is looking to be wrapped in pure extasy, you know. I stepped into a LS430 at the Local lex dealer and as i sat in it I climaxed and creamed my pants:eek: It was a embarrasing moment to say the least But, that is what Lexus is all about now, quality and luxury.
Old 01-08-02, 10:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TXSTYLE, I know where you are comming from but as you said, we are the minority here. Most owners are happy with the stock car.
Old 01-08-02, 10:48 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie
TXSTYLE, I know where you are comming from but as you said, we are the minority here. Most owners are happy with the stock car.
Yes guys, but the "FACT" can't be overlooked that People (including us of course) are wanting and needing more powerful lurury-sport-sedans! I believe my above post confirms that. Hell, a few years ago you only had the super high $$$ car like the E500
now the market is there for every car maker to produce a 400+ hp sport sedan at a somewhat reasonable price!
Old 01-08-02, 10:57 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Lexus is starting to worry me, first they set their sights low with a so-called "3-series killer", yeah, a 325 Then they feel that their entry-level market doesn't need a faster vehicle, just nicer ammenities, and follow that up by replacing a dual model coupe with a higher priced single model convertible ?? And if LX sales weren't slow enough they decide to cannibalize them further by adding ANOTHER truck to the stable. At this rate, any hopes of a new GS with quad headlights and a considerable HP bump don't look too good, hey..maybe they'll introduce a GS wagon !!! :eek: :eek:
Old 01-08-02, 11:00 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusPride
. At this rate, any hopes of a new GS with quad headlights and a considerable HP bump don't look too good, hey..maybe they'll introduce a GS wagon !!! :eek: :eek:

Laugh Out Loud!!! That was hilarious Lexuspride. I needed that! And wouldn't that be a stomp in the face? :eek:
Old 01-08-02, 11:37 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

So is there any real indication that the new GS won't live up to our expectations, or just this uneasy feeling based on design changes for other models? I'm trying to hold on to the fact that the GS was really a huge step forward in the "general consumer" sedan market that most automakers have be playing catch up to. 300hp and some of the best brakes still available, nuff said!

Their other sport oriented vehicles have been improved and enhanced, so it seems logical that the GS would follow suit. When the IS was first released the general public said "nice, but I wish it had a manual tranny", and now it does. The SC, in my opinion looks and performs better than the previous model.

It seems to me that Lexus is continuing to enhance performance within the arena where their sport cars exist, and continuing to build mass appeal cars in their other segments. I think that with the redesign, we will probably see "some" improvement in performance, to keep the GS in the game, but the real jump came when they introduced the GS4 in late '97.

So, in summary, if there is any concrete evidence that shows the next GS4 will be a disappointment, please keep it to your self cause I like living in "dreamland".
Old 01-08-02, 11:40 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Mumbles,

I doubt that the GS will be a dissapointment, they never have been. They are an awesome car for the money.
Old 01-08-02, 12:12 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Erfan
Mumbles,
I doubt that the GS will be a dissapointment, they never have been. They are an awesome car for the money.
Erfan,
I agree, it's just that it seems like the tone of this thread is that if the new GS isn't a 400hp fire breather then Lexus is going soft. I was really trying to point out that the GS4 started out above the market, so any increase will keep them competitive. If you look at the 540 (which is in the GS4 market segment) as an example, the only real advantages it holds over the GS4 are a manual tranny, and maybe handling (but just because BMW offers a sport package).
Admittedly, if Lexus did choose to go wild with performance, I sure wouln't complain, after all, you can never have enough HP! Then again, I might complain, because then I'd want a new GS, and that would be bad... for my bank account!
Old 01-08-02, 01:12 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I know right, My bank account would suffer as well because of the High cost of insurance and monthly payments:eek: I like to buy my cars outright with no financing, I dont believe in payments. In about 2 years when my house is paid off I will have no bills at all, it is the only bill that i have and it is $635.00 a month and the rest of my money goes to me Once i have no more house payment, I will get a nice tricked out 2000 GS400 with Nav and spoiler and by then the prices will fall substantially and I should get a nice deal. I cant wait
Old 01-08-02, 01:26 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

They have been staying on a softer side I agree but if reports come out that they are designing something that will compete with a M5 or E55 AMG then I think they will take they will take notice of the industry. Look at Lexus and their rise to the top in 10 short years they have arrived at the top of the luxury car market. That has been by making changes their competitors (BMW, Mercedes Benz) were not willing to do. They have an ability to change and deliver a car not only of marque quality but of performance as well. I think the IS430 is a good example of this, many people including myself don't like the exterior of the IS but with the 430 they are showing off what engine wise it has planned for the 2nd generation IS. The 2nd generation GS flipped the car industry, I think Lexus knows that it has to do the same thing again with the competitive sport sedan arena.

Quick Reply: Where Is Lexus Going...............