GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My check engine light came on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 07:48 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My check engine light came on

I just did my oil change and oil filter change yesterday, and after a day of driving...my check engine light came on. Car is running fine with no idle problems. Pulling strong...but the light is on and it's bugging me. Anyone have ideas on what it could be?

I checked to see if I was leaking oil...and I wasn't.

I checked to see if I tightened the oil drain bolt....and it was.

I checked to see if I tightened the oil cap....and it was....

I checked to see if I had oil...and it was good.

Anyone? Thanks
Old 09-24-07, 08:35 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

bring your car to autozone to get your CEL codes pulled. it could be a number of reasons that your light came on.

there's also a site that you can go to to find out what the problem is based on the code. it was posted on CL before but i forget where. if i find it ill put it up for you.
Old 09-24-07, 08:38 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd say probably a faulty O2 sensor. If it's only the check engine light and no other light on, then that's probably gonna be the culprit. Our cars have 4 O2 sensors, so one faulty one will not cause the car to drive abnormally. It may possibly a VSV or the charcoal canister, but my first bet would be the O2. Get the codes scanned and report back here your findings. Post up the trouble codes and I can look it up for you.
Old 09-24-07, 08:43 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it's kind of rare tho, for a GS4 to have bad o2 sensors, as i have seen them happen more often to the GS3's. but yea, get the code pulled out. like jeff said, it could be the charcoal cansister, as mine was replaced a few years ago as well.
Old 09-24-07, 10:01 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Cool thanks guys. It that a big problem? How much do they charge to pull the codes? Thanks!
Old 09-24-07, 10:26 AM
cdn2k1gs3
Rookie

Hey ssaristo,

Your vehicle and mine must have come down the assembly line one after the other. My CEL came on late last week! I took it to Advance Auto Parts. They charge $0 to check the code but prefer you buy the replacement part from them, My code was 0141 - faulty O2 sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2 which is the front exhaust manifold and the O2 sensor downstream from cat converter. Costs about $135 for a Bosch (OEM) replacement.
Heres the link from CL where a member defines the method to change one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=Oxygen+Sensor

Doing mine this weekend.
They way O2 sensors work, they are looking for a potential difference (voltage drop) between 2 zones in the sensor. This is detected by HC emissions and the fuel/air mixture is adjusted accordingly. When a sensor goes bad (all O2 sensors will eventually go bad) the CPU goes to a default voltage reading which keeps your mixture accurate.

Therefore, you can drive on it for at least a couple of weeks. Just don't exert the vehicle with hard starts.
Also, the dealership charges about $250 to change one!
Old 09-24-07, 10:30 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cdn2k1gs3
Hey ssaristo,

Your vehicle and mine must have come down the assembly line one after the other. My CEL came on late last week! I took it to Advance Auto Parts. They charge $0 to check the code but prefer you buy the replacement part from them, My code was 0141 - faulty O2 sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2 which is the front exhaust manifold and the O2 sensor downstream from cat converter. Costs about $135 for a Bosch (OEM) replacement.
Heres the link from CL where a member defines the method to change one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=Oxygen+Sensor

Doing mine this weekend.
They way O2 sensors work, they are looking for a potential difference (voltage drop) between 2 zones in the sensor. This is detected by HC emissions and the fuel/air mixture is adjusted accordingly. When a sensor goes bad (all O2 sensors will eventually go bad) the CPU goes to a default voltage reading which keeps your mixture accurate.

Therefore, you can drive on it for at least a couple of weeks. Just don't exert the vehicle with hard starts.
Also, the dealership charges about $250 to change one!
Awesome! Thanks cdn2k1gs3 for your inputs. I'll go check during the week to see if that is that is the case. Man I was so worried, I woke up at 5am, in my business outfit, jacking up the car and checking to see if I missed anything in the oil change process.
Old 09-24-07, 10:46 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

it's free at autozone as well. good luck and let us know what the problem is. i couldn't find the link on cl that gives the CEL definitions for various car makes. if anyone can find it please post!
Old 09-24-07, 10:49 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Thanks gsCrazy!
Old 10-02-07, 07:53 AM
cdn2k1gs3
Rookie

Changed my O2 sensor this weekend.
Purchased a Bosch sensor from Advanced Auto Parts. Wanted the OEM so the connectors would fit with no issue - WRONG!

Had to cut the connector off the defective sensor and solder it onto the new sensor. Also used anti-sieze compound supplied by Bosch.

Attached sensor and plugged everything back in. Check engine light out...problem went away!

Good luck!
Old 10-02-07, 09:12 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Hey guys...the light went away? Should i be worried?