GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LS430 too much like the GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 10:51 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 too much like the GS400?

I am a long time Lexus owner, driving my 98 GS400 for quite some time now and, 140K miles later, looking at getting a new preowned car. I have been fascinated by the Audi A8L ever since it was redone in 2004. I love the look of the interior, the all wheel drive, and the huge back seat. I never considered the LS as I felt it was just too close to my GS to consider. Since I have been driving my car for such a long time, I want something to be quite a bit different.

I was curious what everyone here thought about how the LS differs from a GS, and even from the A8L if possible. My biggest fear with the Audi will be reliability. I am only considering a 2005 as I will never buy a first year german car. I know I need to test drive them both back to back but I was hoping to get some feedback from people here as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-07, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i consider the ls430 big time couple years ago and i have a gs400. the cars are so different. the ls430 is so much quieter and softer, but the handling is very soft and not close to the gs. interior is quite a bit larger and also the layout is different. i wouldn't really think the ls430 is like the gs at all

now i am not sure about the a8l, but i love that car. it's extremely different from the ls430, from style to performance and also handling.
Old 09-26-07, 11:07 AM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i consider the ls430 big time couple years ago and i have a gs400. the cars are so different. the ls430 is so much quieter and softer, but the handling is very soft and not close to the gs. interior is quite a bit larger and also the layout is different. i wouldn't really think the ls430 is like the gs at all

now i am not sure about the a8l, but i love that car. it's extremely different from the ls430, from style to performance and also handling.
Hit the nail on the head. I'd test drive a ls430 with UL package prior to making the comparison. The ls430 is a lot different from a gs400 as mentioned above. Reliability is not so great on audi's due to the electrical problems. I used to see them come in for service a lot at the dealership meaning all audi's in general not just the a8.
Old 09-26-07, 04:53 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never drove a LS430 but I own a 96 LS400 and a 98 GS400. Both are great cars but very different IMHO. The LS400 is a fabulous highway car (quiet, smooth, need to push the gas pedal hard to get a response). Excellent for a long trip. The GS400 is more fun to drive, better handling and quicker acceleration.

I test drove an Audi A8 once and after I saw all those electronic toys and the reliability of European cars with their electrical problems (I've owned Saabs), I said "no thanks" if I plan to keep the car longer than 70,000 miles. Just like an American car, but for different reasons.

BTW, my 96 LS400 has 190,000 miles and the 98 GS400 has 223,000 miles, so I'm biased towards reliability.
Old 09-26-07, 05:19 PM
RedRider
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jz4203
I never drove a LS430 but I own a 96 LS400 and a 98 GS400. Both are great cars but very different IMHO. The LS400 is a fabulous highway car (quiet, smooth, need to push the gas pedal hard to get a response). Excellent for a long trip. The GS400 is more fun to drive, better handling and quicker acceleration.
BTW, my 96 LS400 has 190,000 miles and the 98 GS400 has 223,000 miles, so I'm biased towards reliability.
I also had a 96 LS400 (197,000 miles when the wife totalled it ) and have a 1999 GS400. I agree that the LS is a great cruiser but not as much fun as my GS. The LS430 has more power than my 96 LS did and almost as many horses as the GS400. So, the acceleration will be better than my 96 LS but still not quite as good as a GS400. However, ride and handling on the LS are more suited to those who want something really smooth and really quiet. To me, a full throttle start with my GS400 using e-shift is a lot more fun than stomping on the gas in an LS - just my two cents. I also like the way my GS handles more than the LS. The GS isn't as smooth or quiet but it is more fun to me.

If possible, I would try to drive both. Both are excellent cars, each with their own strengths.
Old 09-26-07, 05:24 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Ls and gs are nothing alike...
Ls430 is way larger, quieter, softer, and nicer car to be in..You can really feel the size difference in the corners.
The Gs moves a lot more like a sporting sedan when compared to the ls430

The only thing similar would be your maintenance...But that is a good thing...

So I say for a more comfort orientated ride Ls430 wins...But if you are looking for a super sporty large luxury car....it may not fit your bill.
Old 09-26-07, 06:30 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly I own a gs and compared to the ls430 they are different cars like everyone stated. But I love the new style Audi A8L, it all depends on what you are looking for. In my opinion the audi is a better handling car than the ls430 stock vs stock. The audi has more horsepower 330 vs 290. The audi also has AWD while the ls is still a rwd vehicle. I dont know if you drive the car all year round but the audi has good handling in the snow definitely better than the ls, it is always a bonus of course. Every car manufacturer has problems with their cars while german cars are always said to have electrical problems we do have to realize that they do employ more electrical function than other manufactures used to do, now everyone is using electrical amenities, so maybe it won't just be a problem with german car only anymore. But I would always get an extended warranty. My brother had an Audi A6 the car had a 140,000 on it and no electrical problems. So I don't think that it should hinder you from looking at the Audi. I love my gs but the Ls430 is a very good crusier as well as the Audi A8. So it is all up to you just go and test drive it and see which you like. good luck in your selection.
Old 09-26-07, 07:13 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered a S8 before purchasing my GS430. Beautiful car. Ever seen Ronin? Transporter 2?(Alright it had the V12). I also test drove a LS430 before I bought. My thoughts on the three. The LS had an older dignified gentleman feel about it. Cushy ride. Lots of bells and whistles. Good cruiser. No fun. Had a hard time getting it out of the dealers lot as they had it boxed in. S8. Not as long as the A8L(extra length only in the back seat leg room) but kicked ***. The AWD would be a bonus in the winter to help handle the horse power. Much more sportier feel. Real sleeper feeling. Downside - I would not own one that was out of warranty. My research concluded that they are great cars up to about 90,000 miles. After that you are taking your chances. May last, may not. The 4.2 is about the best engine Audi makes. If it had the reliability of a Lexus, that would be my ride. My GS430 was the best choice for me. Had the Lexus reliability. Sportier feel then the LS(same engine-weight-size= more zoom zoom). Even though the dealer only had LS's and a GS300 on his lot(not into mods), he said I wasn't as old as his typical LS buyer. That turned me completely off the LS. Once I saw the look of my son's face when I pinned him against the seat back when I punched it. I knew I made the right choice.
Old 09-26-07, 07:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I have both a 1998 GS400 and 2005 LS430.

The two cars are nothing alike, save the Lexus reliability and heritage on the motor. My 98 LS400 (previous LS) was a lot more like the GS... the new LS430 is significantly different.

The LS430 WILL get up and move, especially with the six speed transmission... you won't miss the GS power too much, but you'll be more isolated from it.

Look for a Euro/Sport suspension LS430 (I can't recall exactly what its called) vs the standard if you want something closer to the GS ride but a little plusher.

The LS is a much nicer ride around town, quieter and smoother, but not as fun to drive. Its more refined and offers a higher level of refinement both in gadgets and interior materials (mine is an Ultra so it has the suede headliner, leather dash and glovebox, and other cool stuff).

I'll try to pop back in tomorrow and add more.
Old 09-27-07, 10:02 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you have become to comfortable and spoiled by your Lexus! I would stick with the Lexus....whatever model....doesn't matter....you get a great vehicle, excellent workmanship and excellent reliability. The Audi does look great....but a couple trips into the shop.....you will be very sad and wish you still had a Lexus. As eveyone has said....the LS and GS are very different. The GS is much more sporty, feels quicker and handles better while the LS is the ultimate in comfort and a great cruiser.

Stick with the Lexus and put the A out of your mind!
Old 09-27-07, 11:36 AM
mpsarmi
Driver

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Once I saw the look of my son's face when I pinned him against the seat back when I punched it. I knew I made the right choice.

That's BEAUTIFUL.
Old 09-27-07, 01:05 PM
nytoy
Driver

Are there any suspension mods like anti-sway bars or L-tuned spring/shocks you can do to the LS400/430 to make it handle like the GS or is it that far away in terms of handling?
Old 09-27-07, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nytoy
Are there any suspension mods like anti-sway bars or L-tuned spring/shocks you can do to the LS400/430 to make it handle like the GS or is it that far away in terms of handling?
i don't know of any sway bars. i wonder if the euro suspension has thicker sways that you can put on normal ls430. there are coilovers for the car which will improve the handling. but i wouldn't expect it to handle like a modded gs
Old 09-30-07, 07:26 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theanimala
I have been fascinated by the Audi A8L ever since it was redone in 2004. I love the look of the interior, the all wheel drive, and the huge back seat.
I just read this post and wanted to suggest a little known car......VW Phaeton. They are built on a A8 / Bentley under pinnings and are pretty sweet riding cars. It was on my list of possilbe cars but the GS fit the budget much better. I've read they are built like a tank and are actually hand built in Germany in a brand new "glass" plant (hardwood floors thoughout the plant, it's pretty amazing to see). The best thing is since they were WAY to expensive in the US, ($80K new for a VW!!) they did not sell well and can be had at a pretty good price.

VW does have a horrible reliability but from what I read the Phaetom is pretty good.

When I was thinking about them, I looked at the interior of both the Bentley Continental and Phaeton, they are similar.

Anyway, just wanted to share that option.

Last edited by cobra2top; 09-30-07 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 01:46 PM
NBart
Pole Position

All of the post are correct as to the differences betweent the GS and LS. Longer and wider wheelbase will provide more room inside and out. The euro suspension is a different spring set and thicker sways, much like the L-tuned suspensions. Personally the LS 430 is too old for me. My mother drives it and until I see myself feeling that old, I will not purchase one. Now the LS 460L, I would love to have one of those!!! Just can't afford it.

Quick Reply: LS430 too much like the GS400?