GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Jackass put 1 liter of diesel in my gas tank...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 10:53 AM
ARISTOFIED
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackass put 1 liter of diesel in my gas tank...

Well as the title reads, a smart AAA employee put in a liter of diesel in my empty tank. The car ran fine got it to the gas station and everything was fine, put in $10 of gas and all of sudden the car started sputtering like crazy, not to mention the car died and wouldn't start. I am aware of the consequences to this, but I do not know the extent of damage to my car after running on diesel for a block. The tow company has accepted responsibility for wrong doing and will fix the problem, but they kept saying that the problem could be fixed if the diesel was diluted. I think that is a Mickey Mouse, another thing they say it would be fixed in a day. Some insight on this, love my 2jz and the strength of the motor, but not sure if it will run the same.
Old 09-29-07, 11:01 AM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think u drain the tank and clean out the fuel injection,, but this never happened to me before so i'm not much help
Old 09-29-07, 11:13 AM
LexFather

You should make him drink $10 of diesel...
Old 09-29-07, 11:17 AM
jriggs
Lead Lap

the guys at work did this to my old 528i. drain the tank, flush the fuel lines and rail with fresh gas, clean the inectors, change the fuel fliter, and when u fill it back up run some tank cleaner aditive or something to that effect it should be ok.
Old 09-29-07, 11:28 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jriggs
the guys at work did this to my old 528i. drain the tank, flush the fuel lines and rail with fresh gas, clean the inectors, change the fuel fliter, and when u fill it back up run some tank cleaner aditive or something to that effect it should be ok.
sounds about right to me. when its running good, get a compression test just to make sure
Old 09-29-07, 01:22 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

You probably do more damage by not filling up before your car goes empty.

Once you get down to the last 1/8th tank or so, the filter starts sucking up sediments on the bottom of the tank, which in turn clog up your fuel filter and some get past and into your motor.

Just make sure you fill up your tank once it gets down to the 1/4 mark.
Old 09-29-07, 02:35 PM
ARISTOFIED
Rookie

, I picked up the car an hour ago, and it seems fine, they flushed the fuel system and drained the tank. The Service center put fresh gas in it and said if it had any problems to go ahead and take it back. Ran it on the street all the way from Chatsworth to Pasadena, which is about 40 miles, the car didn't hesitate or jerk, I got home and put some fuel injector cleaner and $60 worth of 91 octane, I asked one of my friends who's a mechanic and he said that there shouldn't be any complications with this since the car did shut down when it sensed the wrong fuel. ( the car did not feed itself diesel, it simply let the car run out of good'ol petrol, then refused to start, just incase it happens to one of you guys, Im pretty sure it wont but just in case)
Old 09-29-07, 02:36 PM
ARISTOFIED
Rookie

BTW the guy who helped me was only 3 days old on the Job, goes to show you never trust who they send...
Old 09-29-07, 02:43 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
You probably do more damage by not filling up before your car goes empty.

Once you get down to the last 1/8th tank or so, the filter starts sucking up sediments on the bottom of the tank, which in turn clog up your fuel filter and some get past and into your motor.

Just make sure you fill up your tank once it gets down to the 1/4 mark.
That is the biggest load of crap ive ever heard in my life... Running below 1/8th of a tank will NOT suck up sediment... Where do you think the pickup for the pump sits? At the bottom of the tank at all times.. That is just a huge myth. I have always run my tanks down to below 1/8th... then fill up... No damage done yet.
Old 09-29-07, 03:20 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You should make him drink $10 of diesel...
i'm with him on this....
Old 09-29-07, 04:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RTGS400
That is the biggest load of crap ive ever heard in my life... Running below 1/8th of a tank will NOT suck up sediment... Where do you think the pickup for the pump sits? At the bottom of the tank at all times.. That is just a huge myth. I have always run my tanks down to below 1/8th... then fill up... No damage done yet.
Yeah it's a big myth. Back in the good ol days of fiberglass gas tanks...maybe. Or if the gas tank is not completely sealed and allows moisture in then rust may start to build up in the tank. That's why all cars now have a advanced evaporative tank system with a tightly sealed gas cap. You will never have any sediments or rust at the bottom of the tank. Just don't run your pump dry...that's VERY bad for it. It happened to me a few times on accident since my fuel gauge isn't 100% accurate. I also have an aftermarket upgraded high flow/pressure fuel pump. It sounded like it was grinding and whining itself to death. Not a pleasant sound.
Old 09-29-07, 04:22 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

if anyhting make them buy u a new motor..lol..
Old 09-29-07, 06:39 PM
ARISTOFIED
Rookie

yeah Fo sho, lol 2JZGTE with 4-speed auto and VVT-i, that would make me happy
Old 09-29-07, 08:02 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RTGS400
Yea I almost always run my car until it's at E and sometimes below that and I've never had any problems.
Old 09-29-07, 10:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My car will be lucky to see more than 1/8 of a tank anyways

I'm living proof

Quick Reply: Jackass put 1 liter of diesel in my gas tank...