GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP... i broke one of my lugs....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 04:10 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP... i broke one of my lugs....

I just got some 20s for my gs4 and I was puttin the lugs on and I guess I don't know my own strength because I snapped it right off.... how do I replace it??
Old 09-29-07, 04:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGVIC23
I just got some 20s for my gs4 and I was puttin the lugs on and I guess I don't know my own strength because I snapped it right off.... how do I replace it??
Front or back? If front, then you need to take off the brake caliper and rotor. Use a solid punch and hammer out the old stud. Press in the new stud from behind. It's a very easy and straightfoward process. There rear is a bit tougher. You have to remove the caliper and rotor as well. I think there might be some hardware in there that might need to be remove...not 100% sure on that. Maybe someone can chime in?
Old 09-29-07, 04:17 PM
17gs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be really easy if you got the right tools. And the stud only cost a few bucks at the auto parts store. Its jz take time to take everything apart to pop the new stud in. The rear is harder, because of your ebrake, so you have to losing up the ebrake before you can take the rear rotor apart.
Old 09-29-07, 04:59 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

I can handle that... its in the front.. where can I purchase the part? how much is the estimate?
Old 09-29-07, 05:03 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, contrary to what JeffTsai said, do not hammer out the old stud. It is highly recommended that you use a C-clamp or something of that sort to slowly press it out. But the rest is good.

You can purchase the part at normally any general automotive store, will only cost you a few bucks like 17gs400 said.

By the way, aren't you using a torque wrench? If you're using that, with it set to about about 76ft-lbs, then it shouldn't break your wheel studs (i assume you meant studs, not lugs lol). And they normally do not break, so I was just wondering if you also have hubcentric rings installed too? Very important.
Old 09-29-07, 05:41 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
Actually, contrary to what JeffTsai said, do not hammer out the old stud. It is highly recommended that you use a C-clamp or something of that sort to slowly press it out. But the rest is good.

You can purchase the part at normally any general automotive store, will only cost you a few bucks like 17gs400 said.

By the way, aren't you using a torque wrench? If you're using that, with it set to about about 76ft-lbs, then it shouldn't break your wheel studs (i assume you meant studs, not lugs lol). And they normally do not break, so I was just wondering if you also have hubcentric rings installed too? Very important.
no I should have used the torque wrench tho... I don't think I have a hubcentric ring... where can I get that??
Old 09-29-07, 07:04 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Thats alright, things like this can happen. Although it is unlikely, I'm sure there is someone in the world who has experienced a broken stud even if they did use a torque wrench. Don't feel too bad.

Anyways, you would be able to get hubcentric rings at basically any tire and wheel shop although I recommend ebay. They come in either rubber or aluminum, both of which work fine. I believe the Lexus hub is 60 mm and your aftermarket rims are most likely to be 73 mm, so getting a ring with those specs should reduce your chances of shearing another wheel stud. The reason why I recommend ebay is basically the pricing. I bought mine from a shop for $40 and they were pretty crappy quality, but not that quality really matters for the rings. Ebay ones will go for $10 or so. Hope this helps

On PlanetSoarer, a guy didn't have any hubcentric rings installed and while he was on the track, one of his wheels fell off and the car came crashing to the ground causing costly damage and a helluva terrifying experience!
Old 09-29-07, 11:33 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

wow... yea that helps a lot.... thanks greyblitz.... ill go find a wheel place tomorro morning
Old 09-30-07, 12:52 AM
LexFather

If not, a local shop can do it for probably $40 or so
Old 09-30-07, 10:10 AM
cpone
There can only be One

I rode on my old car with just 4 lugs.
Screw it.

This is why you should always use a X Lug bar for the additional leverage.
I bet you were using that L shaped bar in the GS to remove your lugs.
Old 09-30-07, 10:18 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BIGVIC23
wow... yea that helps a lot.... thanks greyblitz.... ill go find a wheel place tomorro morning
Not a problem man, glad to be of assistance.

Originally Posted by cpone
Screw it.

Yikes! I hope you weren't riding on 4 lugs knowingly?

Also, he mentions he was putting the lugs on, rather than removing them. Although I do agree with the X bar being much better for removing lugs, provides better force distribution.
Old 09-30-07, 10:23 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Yeap knowingly.
It was all good. And I drove my galant HARD man corners and all and it was fine.
Think about it, Hondas all have 4 lugs so whats the big deal?

I never really use a torque wrench to put my wheels on. A bit past snug is fine for me.
Old 10-01-07, 10:37 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cpone
Screw it.

actually, i was using an x-bar....why it broke.....i have no idea..... o and yea i was putting the lug on...
Old 10-01-07, 10:42 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

so i purchased the hubcenteric rings on ebay for 9.99 plus 2.50 shipping and i got the stud at autozone for 1.sumthin.... ill start working as soon as i receive my rings.....

BTW!! is the absence of the hubcentric rings the reason why my car starts to shake as soon as i hit 55? didnt do it b4 the rims.
Old 10-01-07, 10:54 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very good possibility.

Quick Reply: HELP... i broke one of my lugs....