GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1, in a series of 1998 GS threads. Where were you when you first saw it?(2GS is 10)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 03:40 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago when I saw Bluelex's car all fixed up on this forum....I just had to get it!! Before that, I gotta admit, I thought it was a old mans car
Old 10-04-07, 04:07 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonY_G
Funny thing this thread comes up,

First time i ever saw a Gs, was on Tv in the Lox "money Power Respect" video back in 98 (Gs400)
As soon as i saw that video, i fell in love with the car..

didn't take me long to get my hands on a Brand New 99 Gs3 Blk/tan interior (I was 18) all i could afford @ that time
Wrote her off in late 2000 RIP Gs3 Good times,
Got my hands on a Brand new Platinum Edition Silver/Black Gs4 that i love and the modding hasn't stopped ever since.

Btw, Here's the video, lol Awwww Memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrBcvRWfuM

Hahah I just watched it and I have never seen the video before ! lol

I remember Watching Belle With DMX, NAS ect... and seen the car with Method man pullup !! in the Champane colored GS ....Wanted the Gs ever since ... ...

In my eyes back in the day ....those are alot of Money I want that status one day ... scratching my head

I remember the line still used

Is that.. that ***** , ????
It that the illest ***** from Nebraska hahaha

I lived in Tennesse for 10 years and knew I had to upgrade one day ... low and behold Clublexus appeared ! while living in Northern Cali ,

Only owned mine since feb o6 and started to upgrade and make up for lost time !

No bad so far ...
Old 10-04-07, 08:22 PM
G3Johnson
Driver

First time I seen it was when it came to a lot in my small town about 2 months ago...and then i bought it......didnt even know lexus made this beautiful car...at first glance i thought it was a benz or some other import...whipped my caddy around...looked it over in amazement...then bought it the next morning when they opened. then got her home..looked her over...and wondered if there was an online community for people that felt the way i did about this car....and found clublexus!! its been really good since then.. lol
Old 10-05-07, 01:28 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly I never even considered this car until about 3 years ago. I knew about it since it came out back in 98, but it just never really grabbed my attention.

I got my 2005 GS300 brand new back in May 2005. I was really wanting a used E46 M3 at the time, but my friend was having reliabilty issues with his so I backed out. Then I was going to get a GS430 but the prices were still a bit high at the time. Went to the Lexus dealership one day and they had ONE 2nd gen GS300 left on the lot. The very last one they ever sold was to me. I got it for about 10k under sticker since it had been sitting in the lot for a good year or so and I made them deal because I knew they couldn't move it. The 3GS just came out at that time and the prices were outrageous so I didn't go that route. I was big into the whole 2JZ tuning scene so I knew I was gonna build a monster with this GS300
Old 10-05-07, 08:16 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

At First I liked the 1st gen GS a little better until I saw the HID's that set it off for me.
Old 10-05-07, 09:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was watching the movie GhostDog. That was the first time I saw a GS and bought the car the same year.. Had a thread about it.... Wanna see it here it go..lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=ghostdog
Old 10-08-07, 07:10 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was the summer of 1997 and I had just graduated High School in Newark,NJ. I was at DR. J's downtown, walked out of the store and there she was. Blk with the chrome 17's. "She had me at hello".
Old 10-08-07, 01:32 PM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same memory as 1SickLexx. I was in High school when it first came out, and saw it on a brochure, the same 1 page brochure. Ever since then, I've always wanted a GS400. All of my friends knew that was the only car I wanted. The bubble eyes and the look with the spoiler took my heart. I finally got a 98 GS4 last year, and later got a 2001 GS430, and loving it every day!
Old 10-08-07, 02:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i was actually getting a tl-s or the 540i. i never thought lexus made "fast" cars that looked hot, that changed when i drove on of my friends gs430, i knew i wanted a gs400, took me a month to find a gs400, i wanted black but the white looked nice too, i didn't even test drive it or try to negotiate the price ..i told the salesman i will take this gs ...that was a year ago...

Last edited by UZ214; 01-13-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 08:27 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

The absolute first time i saw the GS was when i was at the airport going to Europe with my parents, at the time i was only 10! and i was just staring at it, and i kept on saying look how cool it is! It picked up a man and a woman in suits and drove off very quickly, and i kept on saying look look thats the new version of uncle ben's car! ( my uncle here has a 94 gs3 and still drives it today) then in 2000 my dad bought a black GS 300 then in 02 when we moved to vegas he sold it to my uncle ( with only 7k miles on it- litteraly our sunday car) in ny then when it was my turn i bought it back from my uncle in late 04! now ive got it and enjoying the living crap outta it!!
Old 10-08-07, 08:42 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

This story was 8 years in the making...

It was fall 1997 and I read an article in a magazine about a new Lexus and loved the look. I love to read about cars and this was one that I told myself I would never one this one.

A few months later my dad decided he needed a Luxury car. He had done some shopping in Omaha while visiting my sister.

The next weekend he was in Des Moines and we looked at 2 used Jaguars, and a new BMW 535. We found out that a 545 was being traded in and would be available soon.

My dad has always wanted a BMW and my step mom has always wanted a Jaguar. They had decided to settle on a ES300.

As we left that dealership he said to me. I want a car that doesn't look like anything else on the street. And I said to him, "Why would you want a ES then?". A moment later we pulled into the Lexus dealership and I said, I forgot about this car and I didn't know it was in the States yet. He took one look at the car and was sold. We test drove a GS300 and he loved it.

Well they put a deposit on the 545 so they could drive it after it had been been cleaned up. Later that week they came back to town and we test drove the 545 and then took it to the Lexus dealership to drive it as well. The salesperson took us to the new car delivery room where a 1998 DWP GS400 was sitting. Little did I know my parents had decided to spend the $7500 extra because they wanted the fin. You couldn't get one on a 300 from the factory back then. We weren't even out of the parking lot and they were sold.

The sales person put the car back in the new car delivery room and and they started talking numbers. You should have seen the look on the BMW salesperson face when I came back alone to get their car back. I had left my dad behind to start the paperwork. "No one buys a Lexus over a BMW he says." I respond back "You haven't driven a Lexus GS400 have you!".

Now my father had never spend this kind of money before and his hands were shaking when it was all said and done. I actually got to drive the car out of the delivery room to my house. I had to stop at a gas station to buy a 12 pack to calm him down.

That day I told him. When you sell this car I get first dibs.

Over the years, I would find excuses to drive this car. It always needed a car wash. Sometimes it hadn't been driven since the last time I washed it.

Well my dad almost never drove the car in the winter. Only took it on long trips. Never to the grocery store.

It's now 7.5 years later the car has 39k on it and I was dealing on a 2004 GTO red/black 6-speed. Deal was done, $23,500 after all of the rebates and GM bucks. I called my dad to tell him about what I was about to do. He tells me don't do it. I'm going to get a Jaguar for you step mom for her 50th B-day this fall. You'll want to buy GS right.

I lost a few nights sleep over this one. My wife and kids didn't like the GTO. It was a 2 door and hated the power entry/exit seats in it. I actually decided to skip getting the GTO. More for the reason that I wanted a 2005 GTO more than a 2004. I decided to wait and see if I could get a 2005 for the same price next year.

October 2006 rolls around and my dad finds a 2003 Jaguar XJ8. He trades the GS400 in with 44K and 5 minutes later it is sold.

For years I had told the joke, my dad wanted a BMW, my step mom wanted a Jaguar, but they bought my Lexus. Well it was finally true, I now have my Lexus, 8 years in the making.

Just a few weeks ago I clay-bared it and waxed it. It looks as good as it did 10 years ago when it was delivered to it's first owner. I know, I was there.
Old 10-08-07, 08:56 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had just started reading Automobile Magazine.

read about the upcoming GS sedans, felt impressed by it--and then that Sunday...my friend's mom pulled up in gold GS300...holy crap (i was in...7th grade at the time)

i remember sitting in it and going through all the goodies, the sound system, the climate control the power-adjusting steering wheels... man...

who knew i'd have one ten years later?
Old 10-08-07, 09:00 PM
LexFather

I found the brochure pic!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-08, 07:45 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
It was the summer of 1997 and I had just graduated High School in Newark,NJ. I was at DR. J's downtown, walked out of the store and there she was. Blk with the chrome 17's. "She had me at hello".
Adrian I didn't know you are from the Bricks I was born there started getting into a little trouble Moms shipped me down south.
Old 01-22-08, 08:00 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

My cousin had a white y2k GS400 which was caught in a fire. I was in middle school at the time and didn't know much about cars but I knew my cousin was in love with his GS400.

He later bought a 2002 GS430. I think I was a freshmen in highschool at the time and it was my first time seeing the GS and recognizing what it was.

I immediately knew that I wanted to join the Lexus family so I was looking around for used IS300's when it came time. Little did I know, I ended up buying my cousin's GS430 and I've been loving it since. That was in my sophmore year in highschool so it was about 4 years ago now.

But sadly, I'll be letting her go this summer.

Quick Reply: 1, in a series of 1998 GS threads. Where were you when you first saw it?(2GS is 10)