GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1, in a series of 1998 GS threads. Where were you when you first saw it?(2GS is 10)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07 | 02:07 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up 1, in a series of 1998 GS threads. Where were you when you first saw it?(2GS is 10)

Hello ladies and gents.
For the next 3 months, I will start threads about our beloved GS. Why? Can you believe it is now 10 years since its debut in America?

So lets celebrate its 10th anniversary of the 2GS.

With today's thread? Do you REMEMBER your first time?
I will share my two.

The first time I saw the GS front end, it was in a brochure

. It was silver and the quad lights had me . It was so expressive at the time. I took the brochure and it was only 1 page, showing the front end. This was fall 1997, I was getting service done on my ES.

I knew I HAD to have this car. I could not believe the design of it, especially since I liked the SC front end so much (and the new 1996 E-class front end).

As I recall, the first time I remember seeing the car in Atlanta, I was in my ES and I see HIDs and yellow/green fogs coming fast. I was like "wtf"????

I look over and my jaw drops looking at her pass. I try to follow but its so fast. Finally we get stuck at a light together. She was black, chrome OEM 17s and I just remember falling in love.

Its been great to know I've had 2 opportunities to have this car in 400 and 430 trim. And to think I was happy loving it stock. CLublexus showed me the MODDING LIGHT!!

Cheers 2GS, on your 10 years.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-08-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-03-07 | 02:16 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Its been a great 10 years... I cant believe its been this long already since the first time I seen the GS in a commercial.
Old 10-03-07 | 02:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on this one Mike those light's had me on the front end And then I saw the price tag and was like But then I got a little older and moola I had one
Old 10-03-07 | 03:13 PM
LexFather

Yeah, the 1998 GS debuted fall 1997. 10 years. Wow.
Old 10-03-07 | 03:19 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Decade of Dominance..............

And still rolling on
Old 10-03-07 | 03:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

first time i saw it was the first time i walked into a lexus dealer ship, it was a blk gs 400 and while i didnt rly know how great a car it was, it was enough to get my 4 year old mind of the free drink i was getting
Old 10-03-07 | 03:31 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the first time i remember spotting a GS was down in rosarito, mexico (spring brake of 1998). it was silver, lowered, exhaust and had ghost flames on the front end, but I don't remember what kind of rims the car had. The GS was hot then and it's hot now.
Old 10-03-07 | 04:03 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the first time i saw the 2gs was back in my freshman year of college at uci when those rich kids rolled one on the parking lot. i kinda hated the rear tail lights at the time, but the style grew on me and i eventually knew i had to have this car. the gs4 had brute power rarely seen during those days. i had to have it.
Old 10-03-07 | 04:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,426 Posts

I saw one on the road before I saw any advertisements.

AND I HATED IT! Thought the front end with the big bubble lights looked ridiculous and the back end was too big.

Took me about a year of seeing them and a bunch of failures on test drives of BMW 540s (two of them broke on me!) before I saw the angles that made me start to love this car.
Old 10-03-07 | 04:13 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I instantly fell in love with the GS when I saw it introduced as the HPS.. then personally I was in Columbia SC I was a senior in high school and I was at this local festival flossin my moms 7 series with friends talking to girls while we were stuck in traffic.when all of a sudden I saw these HIDs and yellow fogs in the mirror weaving in and out of the cars and then all of sudden it was like everything stood still and the other cars parted like the red sea and this black on tan GS just floats right by with chrome 18 inch wheels.....My mouth dropped and my tongue rolled out of my mouth it was love at first sight.....I recognized the driver who was the local neighborhood street pharmacist...needless to say I wanted to park the 7 because he just came through and crushed me...Everyone in the car was like OH SH#T the lex bubble.we talked about that car all night!!
Old 10-03-07 | 04:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember when the first time I saw a 2GS was, but I do remember it was the first Lexus that made me go "Wow". I've never really liked the style of previous Lexus cars before then. My mom and sister both had 92 ES300 which are pretty bland cars. The LS IMHO was your typical large 4 door sedan and being I'm a coupe guy It doesn't really no anything for me style wise. The 2nd Gen GS opened my eyes. Truthfully, if it wasn't for a 2G GS (Even though I have never owned one) I may not own a Lexus today.
Old 10-03-07 | 10:42 PM
TonY_G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing this thread comes up,

First time i ever saw a Gs, was on Tv in the Lox "money Power Respect" video back in 98 (Gs400)
As soon as i saw that video, i fell in love with the car..

didn't take me long to get my hands on a Brand New 99 Gs3 Blk/tan interior (I was 18) all i could afford @ that time
Wrote her off in late 2000 RIP Gs3 Good times,
Got my hands on a Brand new Platinum Edition Silver/Black Gs4 that i love and the modding hasn't stopped ever since.

Btw, Here's the video, lol Awwww Memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrBcvRWfuM
Old 10-04-07 | 02:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

that gs looked so shinny in 1998, and it still looks shinny now, u think by now those rapper wannabes would stop driving those old caddilacs, and drive older lexus' then they would last longer
Old 10-04-07 | 02:55 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time I saw the GS was the day after Thanksgiving. I was at Eastland Mall and it was packed I was walking across the parking and I seen a Black one parked by itself it caught my eye how different it looked. I told myself if I ever get a Lexus that will be the one I get.
Old 10-04-07 | 03:06 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss showed me the one he was going to buy, I had seen it before and liked it, just never really looked at it in the way I do now.

The boss the car shortly after, black 2000 gs300 and it was amazing. I ran into him about 1 year ago and he looked at mine in awe, saying things like, I cant believe you lowered it, what kinds of rims are those, how does it ride...

he's a purist, but now I think he is a little jealous.

Quick Reply: 1, in a series of 1998 GS threads. Where were you when you first saw it?(2GS is 10)