GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2 questions for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 08:53 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 questions for you guys

I talked to Lexus again today about my headlights being fogged up/condenstation. They said it was caused by installing aftermarket light bulbs for the DRL and high beams. Is this true or anyone ran into it or had went back to stock and seen a differnce? Lexus said that if I replace my hyperwhites for the OEM's it would solve the problem. Also, I was reading a forum on here about how to resolve the condenstation problem and that was to take off the dust cover on the headlight assembly to equalize the temp in the housing to the enviroment. True? I have HID's BTW. Last question promised, do anyone know where I can get aftermarket HID headlights (not the ebay ones) with black housing? Thanks guys...
Old 10-03-07, 09:26 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you lights I would check here first

Club Lexus Member Classifieds
Old 10-04-07, 02:11 AM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
I talked to Lexus again today about my headlights being fogged up/condenstation. They said it was caused by installing aftermarket light bulbs for the DRL and high beams. Is this true or anyone ran into it or had went back to stock and seen a differnce? Lexus said that if I replace my hyperwhites for the OEM's it would solve the problem. Also, I was reading a forum on here about how to resolve the condenstation problem and that was to take off the dust cover on the headlight assembly to equalize the temp in the housing to the enviroment. True? I have HID's BTW. Last question promised, do anyone know where I can get aftermarket HID headlights (not the ebay ones) with black housing? Thanks guys...
NOT true...It's the design...it's flawed (headlights) and they haven't fixed it...I don't think bulb matters as long as it seals and is the correct bulb....They are just trying to jerk you around. I haven't taken off my cover...I still get condensation after washes...but to help alleviate the problem I took the rubber "U" plug off and cleaned the foam inside it...That seems to get rid of the condensation faster...But still doesnt' solve the problem. The best way I would think is to rip the housing apart and reseal...way cheaper then a new set of headlights...OR you can try the dust cover thing...and tell us how it goes!
Old 10-04-07, 02:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the dealer is feeding you horse-poop. The bulb doesn't matter as much.

My solution? I took off the dust cover. In fact, I can't even put mine on ever since I did my LS430 retro. No condensation whatsoever.
Old 10-04-07, 01:20 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a load of crap. Over time the seal wears out and the condinsation infiltrates the housing. I got mine covered under warranty, but one of the other guys had to pay $900 to replace both housings. If it were the bulbs then everyone would have that problem.
Old 10-04-07, 02:45 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Yea condensation is one of the negative traits of the 2GS. But no car's gonna be perfect. Mine is not that bad at all, so I just live with it.
Old 10-05-07, 03:03 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Yea I would have figured that the dealer was trying to get me to spend all my money there. I already riped my housing apart and painted it black (looks nice besides the condenstation) when I resealed it I used the orginal sealent and than went around it with silicone. Well today I will take a heat gun to it and clear it up and will try cleaning the little rubber U shape on the housing; and take off my dust cover...I will keep you guys updated...I live in WA so we'll see if this works...
Old 10-05-07, 03:16 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
Yea I would have figured that the dealer was trying to get me to spend all my money there. I already riped my housing apart and painted it black (looks nice besides the condenstation) when I resealed it I used the orginal sealent and than went around it with silicone. Well today I will take a heat gun to it and clear it up and will try cleaning the little rubber U shape on the housing; and take off my dust cover...I will keep you guys updated...I live in WA so we'll see if this works...
Sweet let's see pics! For the U plug....clean the foam inside...I just did a rinse...
Old 10-05-07, 08:42 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Okay everything looks good right now but it hasn't rained yet. Will keep ya updated. If anyone needs replacement HID bulbs I know a place on the internet that sales it for about 89 shipped a pair with a year warrenty. I installed them today and I'm happy with them. Brighter than stock their 6000k. I will post pics. sometime within a day or two. I'm getting deployed so everythings hecktic right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-07, 09:15 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have the problem of condensation on the inside, but I do have the grime on the outside. It looks like if I was to wetsand it or something, it would come off. Anyone know how to clean this off?