GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So today I paid a visit to 104st auto shop in jamaica

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 06:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
yeah I'm in a pretty needy situation to get my front end fixed and have my timing belt replaced, I have no problems having my front end suspension diagnosed from lexus of rockville and might as well fix it there too, of course if u have some coupons that would be awesome for me, cuz im a broke *** college kid lol. The only thing I wouldn't fix at the dealership would most likely be the timing belt, the fee is $1100 O_O!!! but if I'd have to replace my rack, and tie rods, and ball joints, I have no complaints getting it done by the stealership even if it means paying a bit more cuz i remember the last time I took my 99 ES (R.I.P.) to a performance shop, they completely screwed up my traction and ABS sensors and as a result, my car spun out during a turn in the rain and totaled =(.

Yea, so does anyone know of a good shop to get my timing belt done?
The 90k service interval on Lexus cars is not a cheap service. It includes more than just the timing belt and water pump. I had this service done at the dealer because i did not want any screwups. This service is not just a slap on the timing belt and call it a day job. Search the forum for horror stories regarding timing belt service.. I've seen them. If you want to save money on this crucial service, and want factory service with factory parts (with warranty) that will be done right, you can take your car to Toyota of Bayside. There are a handful of techs there that are Lexus certified. I've seen a few 06 Gs430's being repaired there. Ask for service advisor Barry if you want a good deal on the service. If you are a busy guy and need a loaner car (even on the weekends), nothing beats Lexus of Rockville Centre.

There is always independent shops. I use them for brakes suspension,and fluids only. Good luck with your choice in service.. pm sent with coupons.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 10-09-07 at 07:07 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-09-07, 01:20 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called Gazi and he gave me a quote of $550 labor charge if I supply him all the parts, which includes the steering rack, rack bushings, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and lower ball joints, all of which I will be purchasing myself for about $800. yikes!

I still wanna check outa another place for diagnosis to make sure if I really have to replace my whole steering rack or if I only need to repair part of the rack =/ any good suggestions of where I can go with reliable diagnosis with a good/free of charge?
Old 10-09-07, 01:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just called Gazi and he gave me a quote of $550 labor charge if I supply him all the parts, which includes the steering rack, rack bushings, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and lower ball joints, all of which I will be purchasing myself for about $800. yikes!

I still wanna check outa another place for diagnosis to make sure if I really have to replace my whole steering rack or if I only need to repair part of the rack =/ any good suggestions of where I can go with reliable diagnosis with a good/free of charge?
Good luck finding a Lexus certified shop that will give you a free diagnosis. Once the car is on the lift, you are likely to be charged a diagnostic fee.
It will only cost you just 100 bucks to get the car diagnosed at Lexus at Rockville Centre. This is a Lexus dealer , they should know what the problem is..Why are you pinching pennies to get the car diagnosed at the dealership? If anyone should no what your car truly needs it is the dealership. Once get the problem diagnosed, you can go to any shop of your liking. If you cannot afford to maintain this car, maybe it is not for you. Not trying to be harsh buddy, but come on.
Old 10-09-07, 09:33 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

I basically know what's the problem, but I'm just not sure about the steering rack, all the bushings in my front ends needs to be changed, as well as my ball joints. The only thing im not sure of is if I need my whole rack replaced or if its just one tiny part of it. I'm already going to the dealership for my 90k service, just need to find one more reasonably priced, most likely something under $1000. Maybe $700-900 would be my range for the 90k service and have them check out my rack? because im getting all of that done anyway
Old 10-10-07, 08:59 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

I basically know what's the problem, but I'm just not sure about the steering rack, all the bushings in my front ends needs to be changed, as well as my ball joints. The only thing im not sure of is if I need my whole rack replaced or if its just one tiny part of it. I'm already going to the dealership for my 90k service, just need to find one more reasonably priced, most likely something under $1000. Maybe $700-900 would be my range for the 90k service and have them check out my rack? because im getting all of that done anyway
I think if you go for the 90k service...try slipping in the question of the steering rack..

Maybe they will check it out without charging you for it...there is a slight possibility.
Old 10-10-07, 06:02 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

hmmm, I just spoke with Gsoup over the phone, looks like imma go see his mechanic and see what's up, most likely i'll be getting all my work done there, timing belt, water pump, and bushings+tie rod ends+lower ball joints. I'll take Gsoup's word for it, since he did change his timing belt along with a load of tough work on his gs and other lexus's from CL