GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS4 Owner - Noob Questions (No worries - only one thread) :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07 | 06:21 PM
Drag On
Driver

Default New GS4 Owner - Noob Questions (No worries - only one thread) :-)

Hey Guys -

Just scooped up my first GS. 98 GS400 black on black with 125k on the clock. Overall it's in good condition - but it needs some TLC/love which makes it fun. I have a LOT of noobert questions so please bear with me. I'm no stranger to cars and I'm certainly not a forum noob. Patience and help is GREATLY appreciated.

1. My GS needs freon. AC is non-existant. I've filled freon on some of my cars on my own in the past. My question does anyone have any experience filling freon on their own with the kit you buy at the local parts store? Is this a "no-no" for any reason? I'm trying to avoid the stealership for $$ reasons. Any advice is appreciated.

2. It appears my auto level HID on the passenger side is not functioning. But I'm not certain. When I am behind another car at night and I see reflection in their car - it appears "dim" but I am assuming that the leveler is not funtioning and it is in fact pointed down. I don't notice is on the road at night - but I'm not certain. I'll have my wife turn the lights on/off a couple times as I watch, but I'm assuming it's shot. Is this something I can replace on my own? I'd like to just pick up a new motor for it and install it myself if possible. Any advice on this issue?

3. My GS is OEM Navi equipped. I have a few questions on the Navi. First, can I have the Navi updated? If so, must this be done at the dealership or can I purchase the new info (DVD?). Also, when I'm choosing a destination - it will not allow me to enter a street address with 5 digits - only 4. Is this something an update can fix or am I entering the info incorrectly? Lastly - there is no lighting on the "buttons" on the Navi (the buttons lining the screen). I know that most features are touch screen - but should the buttons light up at night? If I want to switch from map mode to climate mode - I can't find the buttons. I'm assuming these should be lit up. If they ARE supposed to be lit up - is this problem common? Fuse or wiring? NONE of the surrounding lights work so I'm assuming it's not just a bulb/led out.

4. Is there any engine maintenence that I should be concerned with that is out of the ordinary? I'm certain that after time on the forum and learning more about the 4 liter - I'll learn it's quirks. For now I'm going to change the t-belt and water pump along with plugs and wires and a filter.

5. Tranny/diff fluid. At 125k - I'm thinking I want to change both of these. I don't know if these have been change - only know the basic (oil/filters) maintenence and that the timing belt was done at 65k. If I DID move forward with the fluid change - is there any recommendations other than what is recommended as OEM?

Thank you guys. Sorry for the noob questions. I love my GS thus far and cannot wait to continue the journey with it. I'll post some pics soon - I've already added 20" KMC dimes, tint and stereo. I'm looking into L Tunes and GR-2's as my next mod but want to get some maintenence done first.

Appreciate your help!
Old 10-09-07 | 06:23 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

after buying a used car, i would have it completely checked/serviced by a certified mechanic. this way, you know the works been done right.

also, you may want to check the maintenance section for some of your questions. you may get some insight in there.
Old 10-09-07 | 06:49 PM
chrispy

You can have the navi updated but 98-00 GS's are hard drive based so you have to swap it out at the dealer.
Old 10-09-07 | 06:51 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 10-09-07 | 08:09 PM
Drag On
Driver

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
after buying a used car, i would have it completely checked/serviced by a certified mechanic. this way, you know the works been done right.

also, you may want to check the maintenance section for some of your questions. you may get some insight in there.

Thanks for this advice. For some reason - I failed to see the Maintenence section before! Lots of good info and some of my questions answered there.
Old 10-09-07 | 08:10 PM
Drag On
Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisES
You can have the navi updated but 98-00 GS's are hard drive based so you have to swap it out at the dealer.
Any guesstimate on price range for this?
Old 10-09-07 | 08:25 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Drag On
Any guesstimate on price range for this?
About $300. I'm debating whether or not I should do it too.
Old 10-09-07 | 08:50 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME Drag On
Old 10-10-07 | 06:33 AM
Drag On
Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisES
About $300. I'm debating whether or not I should do it too.
Yeah I'll have to call the local dealer and get a quote. I'll post after I speak with them.
Old 10-10-07 | 06:34 AM
Drag On
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
WELCOME Drag On
Thank you kind Sir - glad to be here! :high5:
Old 10-10-07 | 06:36 AM
Drag On
Driver

Ok so I've got some of my questions answered. I know about the Navi update and about the auto tranny flush.

I'd love some info on the auto levelel for the HID, the lighting surrounding the navi unit, and also the freon question.

If anyone has any insight - I'd appreciate it!
Old 10-10-07 | 06:58 AM
VM 2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Drag On

and also the freon question.

If anyone has any insight - I'd appreciate it!

If there's no freon in there, I'd suggest getting it filled and recycled by someone with the vacuum machine. It'll leave your AC blowing alot colder, and you'll get assurance that it was done right.

I used to fill my own ac until I checked it one day and the pressure had spiked like crazy. Apparantly, I had some trapped air inside which expanded when it got hot and drove my pressure up to the red zone.

I have a friend that works at lexus and he filled it up for me for free, now its blowing SUPER COLD. 42 degrees according to his thermometer