GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tie Rod rubbing on STOCK RIM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 10:23 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod rubbing on STOCK RIM?

I had this problem for a while, and my solution was to not turn my tire all teh way...I never knew what it was until today.

I had to go to my mechanic to get a flat fixed and decided to diagnose the problem and found that when I turn my wheel all the way to the left my inner part of the driver side rim rubs against my tie roddd!!!!!!!

Mechanic told me to just not turn the wheel all the way-- but of course thats not a solution for me.

I have 17inch stock chrome rims and have had my inner tie rod ends replaced about a month ago...

I'm not sure if anyone would have any suggestions for this considering everything is stock..but all ideas and potential solutions are welcome and greatly appreciated!!

--thanks
Old 10-13-07, 04:37 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-07, 06:26 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA
I had this problem for a while, and my solution was to not turn my tire all teh way...I never knew what it was until today.

I had to go to my mechanic to get a flat fixed and decided to diagnose the problem and found that when I turn my wheel all the way to the left my inner part of the driver side rim rubs against my tie roddd!!!!!!!

Mechanic told me to just not turn the wheel all the way-- but of course thats not a solution for me.

I have 17inch stock chrome rims and have had my inner tie rod ends replaced about a month ago...

I'm not sure if anyone would have any suggestions for this considering everything is stock..but all ideas and potential solutions are welcome and greatly appreciated!!

--thanks
I have the same issue as you at the moment. With my 20s I had no problem turning and no rubbing but now that I am on some stock 17s, I found out that both of my inner front wheels are rubbing against the outer tie rods. I took it to my mechanic friend and he said whoever changed out the out tie rods installed them backwards, meaning driver side is on passenger side and vice versa. On the tie rod there is a curve on them, at the moment mine and your curve is pointed towards the rear of the car. They need to be pointed towards the front of the car so that the wheels can clear. I havent taken my car back to the shop that done the install yet, but I will be taking it there first thing Monday morning before I go to work. Is it both front wheels rubbbing or just that one? If just one go outside and check the other side that is not rubbing and see which direction that curve is pointing. If it is towards the front of the car and your other one is towards the rear of the car than you have the wrong side tie rod. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Cuong

Last edited by trancuongv; 11-07-07 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 09:58 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, we are talking on aim right now..I'm not sure if that's it..but lets see if we can get some more input with a picture:

This is the problem Tie Rod End..that RUBS...it doesnt always rub, it is intermittent..so I think parts of it rub....maybe my rim is screwed up? (doubtful)

None the less, here is a picture of the problem on the drivers side:
Attached Thumbnails Tie Rod rubbing on STOCK RIM?-dsc02712-large-.jpg  
Old 10-13-07, 03:22 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it be the tie rods are on the wrong side??...or not installed correctly
Old 10-13-07, 04:00 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

they look like they are ok...

But It could be a possibility..
I guess when midterms are over Ima have to get my baby back up on hte lift...

If they arent installed properly...I dont think I'm ever going to my damn mechanic again...

these guys shud stick to taxi cabs! :-o
Old 10-13-07, 04:37 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Originally Posted by eman88
Could it be the tie rods are on the wrong side??...or not installed correctly
yes i believe the tie rod is on the wrong side as well. my car rubs on both side so i will be bringing it back to the shop that installed them and have them swap it with each side so it can be correct. with my 20s i did not have a issue cause the rims were much bigger.
Old 10-13-07, 07:39 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know guys..

I keep thinking it is something else...
--But

I will try to compare my care next weekend with one of the other CL cars to see whats at work here!
Old 10-14-07, 08:31 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure your ball joints are not worn causing your rim to interfer with other components?
B
Old 10-14-07, 11:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm, we are talking on aim right now..I'm not sure if that's it..but lets see if we can get some more input with a picture:

This is the problem Tie Rod End..that RUBS...it doesnt always rub, it is intermittent..so I think parts of it rub....maybe my rim is screwed up? (doubtful)

None the less, here is a picture of the problem on the drivers side:
From that pic, it looks like the tie rod was installed upside down. Who did the install? Have the mechanic check the condition of your lower control arm bushings as well. The one shown in the pic looks a bit worn or it could just be the quality of the photo.
Old 10-14-07, 07:37 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
From that pic, it looks like the tie rod was installed upside down. Who did the install? Have the mechanic check the condition of your lower control arm bushings as well. The one shown in the pic looks a bit worn or it could just be the quality of the photo.
I'm going to order the bushing kit soon...get everything done.

--but can you take a picture of your tie rod end too?!

so i can compare?

thanks man
Old 10-15-07, 05:53 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

so i can compare?

thanks man
i just dropped off my car to the shop that done my outer tie rods install and he said if they are installed backwards then the inside would rub the insides of the front wheels. so you most likely have a wrong tie rod the wrong side. i will be picking up the car after work so i can comment back when i do.
Old 10-15-07, 07:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so i can compare?

thanks man
I will try for you .
Old 10-16-07, 07:12 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

thanks shocker
Old 10-16-07, 07:27 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

i got my tie rod rubbing issues fixed. the tie rods are indeed installed incorrectly meaning the driver side was on the passenger side and vice versa. they swapped them to there correct sides and all is well now.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod rubbing on STOCK RIM?