GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How is it at being a "Sports" Sedan ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07 | 09:30 PM
bigmemory
Driver

I can't wait to take her out for some real testing ... I'm having the suspension worked on tommorrow, then I need to get some insurance on her

My other car is an S2000:
Old 10-15-07 | 09:33 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Nice choice.
Old 10-15-07 | 10:04 PM
bigmemory
Driver

TY - 9000 RPM redline and ready for the track..

Hey I found this Car And Driver Writeup about the 2003 model's handling:

"Generally, we like the handling a lot. It understeers predictably when pressed. Body motions are controlled, with a pleasing balance between athleticism and ride plushness. Part of the pleasure comes from the astute driver position—you sit up in this car—with a nicely located and large rest for your left foot. This is a machine you can work with. The shifter buttons on the spokes allow you to change gears without taking your hands from the rim. The steering is light, yet the turning effort builds appropriately as you corner. You can feel what's going on down at the tire contacts. The GS300 talks to you with tactile subtleties rather than sounds. It never goes numb on you."
Old 10-15-07 | 10:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I dont know what Car and Driver have been driving but I cannot feel a darn thing with the GS steering
Old 10-16-07 | 03:29 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I dont know what Car and Driver have been driving but I cannot feel a darn thing with the GS steering
agreed numb is a understatement
Old 10-16-07 | 06:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well seeing I've hung with and beat or lost (but held my own) against M3's
I find this comment pretty damn funny myself.. Heck, I hung with Vette Z06's and Lambo Gallardos but I just don't have video proof of this.

The GS is designed for sport. Its not the greatest sport sedan at all but the picture you paint is just RIDICULOUS.[/B]
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._lexus_gs_400/

A gourmet blend of sport and luxury worth savoring, the GS 400 has spoiled us over the past year. Logbook entries like "Absolutely one of the best sedans ever built" gush with more loving praise and adoration than Shakespeare's sonnets
And Britney Spears is the best mother on the planet. If you want to believe what magazines tout rather than real world ownership experience, then more power to you I've owned my GS since 2000, and I do not find that this car was designed with sport in mind. I recall Eric's racetrack thread depicting your car exhibiting more body roll than a fat girl running for that last strawberry cake on the supermarket shelf. I guess by the looks of things in that thread, the GS is quite a handler

It was seen by editiors as driving like a SC 300/400 but it was a sedan. WIth mods, this car is VERY VERY much a sleeper. People think "Lexus" and think boring.
Kudos to Lexus. for being on the 10 best list Honda, Chevy & even drumrolls please.. BMW is on that list as well. Heck I had a E300and now a GS400. I was not swayed by magazines to purchase the car. As mentioned by those who modded the crap out of a GS, this car is still not up to par when it comes to the driving dynamics of say a 5 series sport pack or the E39 M5 (apples to apples). Those vids posted with the 1st and 2nd gen Aristo does not depict incredible driving dynamics. Heck one can modify a 69 Chevy Camaro and make it "handler". If you want to continue to believe the GS has incredible driving dynamics, then once again.. lol... more power to you.
Old 10-16-07 | 08:09 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

i always find the kills thing amusing. i've owned several german cars over the years, i can't begin to count how many times i've had some idiot (in what is usually a japanese car) pull up next to me at the light and start revving and looking over. when the light turns they peel off as fast as they possibly can and start flashing blinkers, never mind i never exceeded 3000 rpm in any gear. and somewhere on a honda board that night someone was posting about how they "killed" a porsche....
Old 10-16-07 | 05:59 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

How is it at being a "Sports" Sedan?
All of you that are claming "is not an M3 nor an M5 so it's not a sport sedan" LOL get off BMW's Sck already All we are saying is after a few mods it can handle just as good or even better than some stock BWMs. we now you have bimmer no need to act like is the best car in the world
let me show you how a M5 did VS a Aristo/GS and try not to loose the 330i sport in the back. But wait; according to you no GS can't hadle better than even a sport model BMW, no matter what type of up grades are done to the GS. LOL, come on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSege8Lq5ec
remember, all these cars are stock.
Also, I doubt any of the guys here got the GS because motor trend said it was "such and such", but what ever helps your argument

Last edited by GS FONZy; 10-16-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-16-07 | 06:37 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

i am a susp guy , i tuned the gs the best it could get imo

the chassis of this car was never diseigned to communicate to the driver

thats the diff , do you want to react or anticipate.. reacting comes with a price for you lose time , anticipate = safety.. the gs steering and overall design was intended for 95% luxury so it has a built in intended purpose of the disconnected feeling

sure it handles with good mods but does it handle well is the question how well does it tell you its about to break loose and at what cost..

the steering is numb , the dynamics of the susp are delayed so you are always playing guess whats coming next

a drivers sports sedan will tell you whats going on underneath
Old 10-16-07 | 06:46 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

uh you do realise in that video that the M5 finished almost 7 seconds ahead of the aristo in just 3 laps despite getting off to a bad start because of the traction control being set too restrictive? and you do realise that the aristo has a 50hp edge on paper (i mention on paper because i'm sure you're aware of the japanese history of understating the hp rating of cars above 275, so the actual hp difference is more likely 70hp) on the 330 it finished ahead of?

so i guess that video means the subaru legacy and tsx (euro accord) are better sport sedans than the GS?
Old 10-16-07 | 07:21 PM
LexFather

The GS is a sports luxury sedan. Lexus says so. The magazine experts say so. Video experts say so.
It is NOT the sportiest luxury sedan. It is still a sport luxury sedan.

If you don't think so, drive an ES for comparison or a LS. Hell my ES 300 MANUAL is not as sporty as a 1GS, let alone a 2GS.

Its all relative. Porsche/Ferrari etc fans and some experts argue a M3 or even a S65 basically starts life as a lowly 4 cylinder 320 with 15" wheels or 6 cylinder S 350. THose cars are just hooked up stock cars, but the factory did them. And they are HUGE profit makers.
Old 10-16-07 | 07:53 PM
LexFather

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...300/index.html

We think the GS is a rival to the BMW 5-series, not a little brother to the LS430, and we wish that Lexus would give the GS the respect it deserves.
Old 10-16-07 | 08:07 PM
bigmemory
Driver

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
[B] it's not a sport sedan" LOL get off BMW's Sck already All we are saying is after a few mods it can handle just as good or even better than some stock BWMs. we now you have bimmer no need to act like is the best car in the world
I dont own a Bimmer .... that said, I've driven plenty of cars, and I can assure you that BMWs are amongst the very few best driving cars in the world.

Now when you add reliability, service, and comfort ... thats where BMW starts to lose its shine.
Old 10-16-07 | 08:18 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I like this thread because it has a lot of videos...LOL!
Old 10-16-07 | 10:15 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i am a susp guy , i tuned the gs the best it could get imo
the chassis of this car was never diseigned to communicate to the driver
thats the diff , do you want to react or anticipate.. reacting comes with a price for you lose time , anticipate = safety.. the gs steering and overall design was intended for 95% luxury so it has a built in intended purpose of the disconnected feeling
sure it handles with good mods but does it handle well is the question how well does it tell you its about to break loose and at what cost..
the steering is numb , the dynamics of the susp are delayed so you are always playing guess whats coming next
a drivers sports sedan will tell you whats going on underneath
Funny, have not felt that way then again that's just your opinion

Originally Posted by sbgs400
uh you do realise in that video that the M5 finished almost 7 seconds ahead of the aristo in just 3 laps
i am sure it was less than 7sec, but do you realise what that says about a car that is twice the price best lap for lap the M5 was only 2 sec faster. I am sure the 400hp made the driffrence on the straight sections. i am just saying the GS is not the 70s cadllilac you picture it out to be

Last edited by GS FONZy; 10-16-07 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: How is it at being a "Sports" Sedan ?