GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How is it at being a "Sports" Sedan ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07 | 10:19 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigmemory
I dont own a Bimmer .... that said, I've driven plenty of cars, and I can assure you that BMWs are amongst the very few best driving cars in the world.

Now when you add reliability, service, and comfort ... thats where BMW starts to lose its shine.
my comments were not directed towards you. BTW welcome to CL
Old 10-16-07 | 10:22 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

the question wasn't whether the car is a sports sedan, we all know lexus markets it as such. the question is how does it perform in that role, and the answer from folks who have extensive experience driving real sports sedans is not very well.

BTW although i have owned BMWs in the past, i don't currently own one, nor am i planning to buy one. simply calling a spade a spade.
Old 10-16-07 | 10:26 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
i am sure it was it was less than 7sec, but do you realise what that says about a car that is twice the price best lap for lap the M5 was only 2 sec faster. I am sure the 400hp made the driffrence on the straight sections. i am just saying the GS is not the 70s cadllilac you picture it out to be
uh the lap times are listed at the end of the video...what does the price have to do with whether it performs like a sports sedan or not? top gear did a test drive where an evo bettered a ferrari, do you think the lower price of the evo is going to make ferrari owners abandon their cars?

and i didn't compare it to a 70s caddilac man, of course the GS handles way better than that. but i don't see anybody proclaiming a 70s caddilac to be a sports sedan either.
Old 10-17-07 | 03:22 AM
bigmemory
Driver

welcome to CL
Thanks, seems like a fine gathering. . I've only owned a GS for about 100 hours, and kind of suprised how honest the fellow owners are about their ride.

I did own an S-Class a few years back (a 1995 S320) and so Im hoping this car brings back a little of that magic for me (Large luxury with refined road manners). So far ... so good!

...and in my distant past I owned a 1979 BMW 728 and was endeared by how awesome that large car was in the twisties.

Last edited by bigmemory; 10-17-07 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-17-07 | 04:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbgs400
uh the lap times are listed at the end of the video...what does the price have to do with whether it performs like a sports sedan or not? top gear did a test drive where an evo bettered a ferrari, do you think the lower price of the evo is going to make ferrari owners abandon their cars?

and i didn't compare it to a 70s caddilac man, of course the GS handles way better than that. but i don't see anybody proclaiming a 70s caddilac to be a sports sedan either.

I think what GS Fonzy is trying to convey is that "4-dr sport sedan" to "4-dr sport sedan" the GS/Aristo did pretty good best lap for best lap against the M5 especially since the M5 is a lot more expensive. The example that you gave is poor. One car is a rally, 4-dr sport compact and the other is a 2-dr sport exotic. Not to mention the Evo was BUILT to perform on tracks/twisties. The GS primarily was not and the M5 definitely was. That is why he (and I) for that matter is giving some well deserved credit for the GS/Aristo in this scenario.

Also, I believe there are different DEGREES of being a sport luxury sedan. For someone to state that a GS4XX is NOT anywhere remotely considered as a sport luxury sedan is wrong (IMHO). OK, so what do you call it then? just a luxury sedan...so then lets compare it to an '05 and earlier Caddilac STS, or a Lexus LS430, or Chrysler 300 or even an '05 and earlier Acura RL. Each of these cars will pale in comparison around a track against the GS4XX (all cars being stock and around the same production year).

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 10-17-07 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-17-07 | 08:33 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Rock-a-Lex the comparison between an evo and ferrari is not mine, i'm just relaying a test comparison that i saw on top gear. and the relevance of the comparison is that the price should not be be the determining factor on whether the car handles well or not -- earlier the implication was made that the M5 is supposed to handle better because it costs more.

and you emphasize the point that myself and others have been making when you say that the evo/M5 were built for tracks/twisties. when one talks about a sports car, be it sedan or coupe you expect good performance on tracks/twisties.

i would definitely pick the GS4?0 over the sedans you have listed there, but then if i was looking at those cars i probably wouldn't care that much about sporty character. and i guess one thing i'd like to point out is that sporty looks are not to be confused with sporty character. some folks are only interested in the looks part and that's perfectly ok.

i guess some of the ambiguity exists because the 4dr sports sedan really wasn't a well defined concept until the 90s, so it's still a new category.
Old 10-17-07 | 04:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

the question wasn't whether the car is a sports sedan, we all know lexus markets it as such. the question is how does it perform in that role, and the answer from folks who have extensive experience driving real sports sedans is not very well.
So let me get this straight, just because you had BMWs in the past, which according to you is a real sports sedan, you get to say that the GS is not one because it does not handle as good as a BMW. Yet in the track they performed pretty close to each other Also, lets not forget the 330i sport was left in the back. Sorry, I don't see your point.
BTW although I have owned BMWs in the past, I don't currently own one, nor am I planning to buy one.
was not talking about you, BTW I am done because this is just redundant, but have fun with your ZOOM ZOOM, I just wish you could enjoy it as much as I enjoy my sporty GS

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I think what GS Fonzy is trying to convey is that "4-dr sport sedan" to "4-dr sport sedan" the GS/Aristo did pretty good best lap for best lap against the M5
Glad someone can see past the BMW line up
Old 10-17-07 | 04:19 PM
bigmemory
Driver

Actually BMW is credited with inventing the Sports Sedan with their classic BMW 2002:

But it was only 2-door, so they finished the invention with the the 4-door BMW Bavaria, which also had sportscar like handling:

It was 1972, I was about 11 at the time, and waited for every issue of Car And Driver with baited breath!

Last edited by bigmemory; 10-17-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-07 | 04:50 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

So let me get this straight, just because you had BMWs in the past, which according to you is a real sports sedan, you get to say that the GS is not one because it does not handle as good as a BMW.
sorry my mistake, what was i thinking, someone (and apparently i'm the only one who has pointed out how much the lexus suspension sucks) who had actual experience with both products actually daring to post in a thread that asked for comparisons between them i'll leave it to the experts like you from now. lexusfanboyz.com, woohoo.
Old 10-17-07 | 05:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

So let me get this straight, just because you had BMWs in the past, which according to you is a real sports sedan, you get to say that the GS is not one because it does not handle as good as a BMW. Yet in the track they performed pretty close to each other Also, lets not forget the 330i sport was left in the back. Sorry, I don't see your point.

was not talking about you, BTW I am done because this is just redundant, but have fun with your ZOOM ZOOM, I just wish you could enjoy it as much as I enjoy my sporty GS

Glad someone can see past the BMW line up
LOL...I give up. Like Fonzy from the Happy Days GSFonzy... Ehhhhhhhhhhh