GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SCREW-UP!!.... Any damage done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-02, 09:36 PM
Juan C. Cos

Default SCREW-UP!!.... Any damage done?

Parking brake didn't disengage completely, and I didn't notice until 3 miles later, when car started vibrating and acting like it had a flat tire. I pulled over and no flat tire, but a slight burnt smell when I approached the rear. No smoking, but rear rotors burned to the touch, and rims were equally hot in the center.

I understand the parking brake is a drum within a disc, so they must use brake shoes, right? Any possible damage by this booboo? Yea, yea, the light was on, but didn't see it with the sun on my face. By the way, the parking brake seems to be working fine, but the stupid system needs a stronger release spring, as this has happened several times, but I usually catch it right away.

Thanks people.
Old 01-12-02, 10:19 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juan,

You may have to change the parking brake pads but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you don't use the parking brake too much you can probable wait until the next time you have to change your brake pads for the rotors. I don't think it should cause any damage except excessive wear on the praking brake pads.

Brent
Old 01-13-02, 08:04 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes its a drum inside a disc combo.. i would like to change it to only disc, does anyone know if ther is parking brake for the front or only the rear?
Old 01-13-02, 08:18 AM
Juan C. Cos

thanks guys. I wonder if there's a way to check for pad wear without having to dismount the whole thing. As far as pad wear, you literally have zero wear when using the parking brake unless you do something like I did.
Sasha, I don't know of any car having parking brake on the front wheels (it would be nice, huh?). You couldn't have reliable cable-actuation (like it's now) with rotating drums in the front.

I'll check the parking brake in an up-hill later today.

Good day!
Old 01-13-02, 08:28 AM
Juan C. Cos

Default I forgot to ask....

Can the heat could have warped the rear rotors? It was a cool 50º when this happened, but again, touching the hub thru the rim was hot enough that I had to remove my fingers immediately or risk burning, but no smoke (just a little smell). How can I tell?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-02, 02:05 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Default Juan:

The vibration definitely alerts me to the possibility that you warped a something from excessive heat. The best way to tell would be to check the runout of the disc (drum or whatever it is for the p brake). If it's a disc, it's not a big job at all and can be done simply by taking the wheel off and setting up a dial indicator. This is part of a typiclal brake inspection you can get for free from the chain stores, but personally, I'd pay the few bucks to have the best look at it.

BTW, are you still considering selling that car? I remember you were advertising it about 1 year ago.
Old 01-13-02, 06:03 PM
Juan C. Cos

Hey Cyclemax, are you a bike guy like me?
First of all, the vibration occurred when I had the parking brake on. When I released it, the vibration went away. The car felt weird since I took off, but it started progressively getting worse, as the pads and everything else heated up. I guess I just gave the pads a little wear, huh? Good thing it was pretty cool outside.

Second of all, I didn't sell my car because it's like new, and nobody gave me the $35K I was asking in this crappy town (plenty of offers out of town but too far away to pick it up). Fortunately I didn't have to sell it, but as business got progressively worse, I just felt out of place on an almost-out-of-warranty, $52K (when new) lexus. On the other hand, I don't owe anything, and just trading the GS for an accord (or maybe a few bucks left) wasn't going to change anything, so I kept it. The car is perfect, other than an occasional rattle (like all others). Been in rain just once (undercarriage looks like new too). Not a dent, but a few touched-up nicks from the freeway (almost invisible). Going strong with 13K miles. Don't tell me you were willing to buy it!!! The car is probably not worth the $35K now, so I pretty much gave up the idea of selling it a few months back.
Old 01-13-02, 08:55 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Juan,

If the vibration went away after you released the parking brake it shouldn't a big deal with regard to rotor warpage. The only concern I would have is if the front rotors are warped which in this case is not the issue since the parking brake only affects the rear. If your steering wheel is vibrating every time you brake semi-hard at high speeds then you have rotor warpage on the front rotors which means that it's time to replace the brake pads and turn the rotors...

Brent
Old 01-14-02, 05:45 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Juan:

Yes, I'm a bike fanatic as well. I've been riding for 20+ years, mostly sport bikes (Current bike is a 93 CBR900RR show bike with Nitrous) but now I'm slowing down a little with the recent purchase of a Honda Shadow (Harley looks and sound for 1/4 the price). It's a fun bike, but certainly could use more power (it's only a 750cc twin).

Anyway, I wasn't ready to purchase a car when you were actively selling yours about a year ago. I made the decision recently to treat myself to the car I fell in love with back in late 97. I live in the Northeast, so there isn't too many of them around in nice shape. If you are still interested in selling yours, please send me some pics if you have them. I'm not sure if gold is the right color for me, but I don't remember what it looks like (not too many of them around). I know I don't like the tan.

email cyclemax2000@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 01-14-02, 08:55 PM
Juan C. Cos

I was into sport-bikes for 11 years, and had a '00 Hayabusa and a std. '99 Valkyrie for a while. I now have a '01 goldwing as my sole bike, and let me tell you, I never thought I would even ride a goldwing, but this new model is absolutely awesome. Believe it or not, it has almost the same cornering clearance than the hayabusa, is much more comfortable than the valkyrie, and I can travel at 100-110 mph all day long. Ah, and don't forget it has a 6-disc CD changer, cruise control, electric headlight and suspension adjustment, etc., and I can pack all I want for my day trips.
I wouldn't change it for anything now.

Back to the subject, the car feels the same as always, so other than a tiny amount of wear on the shoes, I guess I just wanted reassurance. The wheels get as hot in summer, so I figure that little heat shouldn't have done any damage.

Take care buddy!