GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engline light + Cant step on the gas while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 10:06 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engline light + Cant step on the gas while driving

Hi All

I've searched this issue and have found a few threads. However I haven't found what people have actually done to fix the problem. I have seen a lot of ways around the problem or people just having the problem fix itself over time by not doing anything at all.

So what happened is this. First time it happened I was parked in a parking lot, engine on a/c on chatting with the gf in the car. Time to go. I put it in reverse and then in Drive but when i stepped on the pedal nothing happened. I had to turn the car off and then back on to start it up. Drove fine. Scared me, but it didnt happen again for two months.

Fast forward to yesterday. I left the house to go out and when i made left turn down a street i pressed the gas and nothing happened. The car just rolled along. Everything was still on but i just couldnt give it any gas.

Turned off car, started car and it drove for 2-5 seconds each time. Then dies again, cant give it any gas the pedal just goes to the floor. Car still on the whole time. Engline light also on.

Finnaly at my 4th attempt i was able to drive it 3 blocks back to my house and park it in the garage.

This morning i tested it. Engline light is gone, and the problem isnt happening.

This is crazy! Im glad it didnt go out on me on the freeway which i do most of my driving.

Any input? Sorry for the long read.
Old 10-15-07, 10:18 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the gas pedel sensor went bad.....most cars have a throttle cable attached to the gas pedel, but our GS's have a sensor...
Old 10-15-07, 10:21 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

I also read it had something to do with low idle but i didnt think of that when it was happening and when i found out it may be something with idle the car works fine so i cant see what it was
Old 10-15-07, 10:24 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
Hi All

I've searched this issue and have found a few threads. However I haven't found what people have actually done to fix the problem. I have seen a lot of ways around the problem or people just having the problem fix itself over time by not doing anything at all.

So what happened is this. First time it happened I was parked in a parking lot, engine on a/c on chatting with the gf in the car. Time to go. I put it in reverse and then in Drive but when i stepped on the pedal nothing happened. I had to turn the car off and then back on to start it up. Drove fine. Scared me, but it didnt happen again for two months.

Fast forward to yesterday. I left the house to go out and when i made left turn down a street i pressed the gas and nothing happened. The car just rolled along. Everything was still on but i just couldnt give it any gas.

Turned off car, started car and it drove for 2-5 seconds each time. Then dies again, cant give it any gas the pedal just goes to the floor. Car still on the whole time. Engline light also on.

Finnaly at my 4th attempt i was able to drive it 3 blocks back to my house and park it in the garage.

This morning i tested it. Engline light is gone, and the problem isnt happening.

This is crazy! Im glad it didnt go out on me on the freeway which i do most of my driving.

Any input? Sorry for the long read.

Throttle Position Sensor. Mine went bad around 40K. Once replaced no more problems for over 100K.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...osition+sensor
Old 10-15-07, 10:25 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

^ You had a similar problem as well? I think i read someone mentioning what you mentioned.

Can you direct me where to purchase and the price range?
Old 10-15-07, 10:28 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

^ You had a similar problem as well? I think i read someone mentioning what you mentioned.

Sorry, I had mine towed to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. Give your local dealer a call to get a better idea of the costs.
Old 10-15-07, 10:33 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

oh okay thanks
Old 10-15-07, 12:23 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might think it is the TPS sensor, throttle position sensor, either that or your transmission isnt kicking into gear, tho i have noticed that the gs does have so response to throttle, like when i am at a stop and i step on the gas it takes about 15 to 20 seconds before it goes
Old 10-15-07, 12:37 PM
drewefx
Pole Position

That could be the most dangerous thing in this whole world and I will explain why.
I magine you are turning left on a street, there is traffic ahead of you, you judge cars to be in good distance for you to make the turn before they approach, you go ahead and make that turn (keep in mind speed limit 70k/m/h or 40 mph) Now you make that decent turn and now the car stops and BANG you die!! Its very dangerous, I would pay any money to have the lex dealer look at it!!!
Old 10-15-07, 12:40 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Ya its a serious problem im afraid to just drive it to the dealer even though its acting fine now.

Check engine light is off and i have free 100 mile towing from AAA i could tow it to the dealer but without that engine light on wouldnt they have a hard time figuring out the issue?
Old 10-15-07, 07:58 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the check engine light is off it should still be stored in the ECM's memory.
Old 10-15-07, 08:31 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

ok i think first thing saturday ima try to get to the dealer which is 25 minutes away
Old 10-15-07, 08:38 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to see everyone was able to help ... mine did that one time died out on free way and pulled over .. at 1am ... No problem since then I'll look into this too
Old 10-15-07, 09:57 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe someone on the ORG. paid $350 for the part from the dealer not sure if it included the labor.....
Old 10-15-07, 09:58 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

Dang man, talk about hitting a few strokes of bad luck. Hopefully, it'll be an inexpensive fix.

Quick Reply: Engline light + Cant step on the gas while driving