GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Winter tires worth it? (winter driving)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 08:43 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter tires worth it? (winter driving)

Last winter was HELL with my 2GS. Even a TINY bit of snow on an incline and I couldn't move... at all. The wheels wouldn't even spin. Just that rapid clicking sound and failure. When I was in an area where I COULD drive.. I had little to no control. Granted, the tires on my 17s were almost bald.

Now I have 19's with new tires on them.. but I'll be taking them off when it starts to snow.. so I'll be putting back on the bald 17's.

My question is.. if I pick up some winter tires.. will I have much better luck? ... and do they make a huge difference compared to brand new regular tires? I'd rather not have to take the tires off at the end of winter just because they're winter tires.

Also is there some sort of control I'm not turning on/off that will stop my car from deciding whether or not the wheels should be spinning in effort to move?

Thanks
Old 10-17-07, 08:58 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they make a huge difference. HUGE. i highly recommend them to anyone with a rwd car in snow or any car for that matter. you do have to change them when it warms up though. the tread compound is designed for cold weather. if you run them in the summer, tehy will wear out quickly. get them for your 17's, run them in the winter, and whyen it warms up, put your 19's back on. that way you get the best of both worlds.

turn the trac. control off to get your tires to spin. anytime you're in snow, turn it off when you get stuck.

brand new regular tires won't get you too far in snow either if they are a performance tread pattern. if you get a grandma all season, they'll be just ok, but what' the point of that...
Old 10-17-07, 09:06 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
they make a huge difference. HUGE. i highly recommend them to anyone with a rwd car in snow or any car for that matter. you do have to change them when it warms up though. the tread compound is designed for cold weather. if you run them in the summer, tehy will wear out quickly. get them for your 17's, run them in the winter, and whyen it warms up, put your 19's back on. that way you get the best of both worlds.

turn the trac. control off to get your tires to spin. anytime you're in snow, turn it off when you get stuck.

brand new regular tires won't get you too far in snow either if they are a performance tread pattern. if you get a grandma all season, they'll be just ok, but what' the point of that...
I'm excited to hear that. Ah so its the temperature that will mess with the tire. I'm hoping to get these tires on this week.. so I hope its not too early. The temperature here in Seattle right now is about low to high 50's. Is that adequate for the winter tires? I doubt it'll get any warmer than that until spring. I know.. its sad.

How the hell do I turn the traction control off?! I wish I woulda known that last year! I had TONS of problems in the snow... many.. many repairs.
Old 10-17-07, 09:23 AM
kit cat

definitly get snow tires.
and I would assume traction control is VSC.
Old 10-17-07, 09:24 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

I called costco and did some searching online.

Costco told me they suggest I go with 215/50/17 and they would be $150/tire + tax... so roughly $660. I don't know what kind of tire.

Online I found Hankook Icebear W300 225/50R-17 98V XL B.. for all four $384 shipped.

I don't know how cheap the Hankooks are but I could get the same sized Yokohama's for $504 shipped.

The last option is Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 tires sized 255/45R-17 98V BSW.. and they would come to $604 shipped.

I'd like to spend as little as possible but don't want to sacrafice huge quality.
Old 10-17-07, 09:28 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Hey theres that $100 off a set of four tires on discount tire...I'm planning on picking up those hankook b/c I heard they were pretty good.
Old 10-17-07, 09:45 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taeng
Hey theres that $100 off a set of four tires on discount tire...I'm planning on picking up those hankook b/c I heard they were pretty good.
Ya thats what got me thinking about doing this now. Thats the price after the discounts applied.
Old 10-17-07, 12:32 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

hankook makes a good tire. i'd go for those since you will only use them for 5 months or so out of the year. you'll find that your 19" summer tires will last much longer when you only use them for the other 7 months!
you should be fine to switch now if you want to. the other thing about the tread compounds in winter tires is that they are multilayer. the top thickest layer is soft for grabbing ice and snow. after that wears off, there's a harder layer on the bottom which you really don't want to get down to or else you give up the benefits of the snow tire. i see people driving around all year on winter tires because they don't want to switch back and forth but they dont' realize that by winter, the soft tread is all gone!

the europeans have been switching to winter wheels and tires for years, they always have 2 sets, one nice set for summer and one factory set for winter. Us americans are finally starting to catch on! of course i just drive my jeep when it gets bad!
there's a button for vsc or trac somewhere in your car; i forgot where they are in teh gs's.
Old 10-17-07, 12:45 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes! Get snow tires they make a world of difference!!!
Old 10-17-07, 01:27 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

I may order those Hankooks today

Thanks so much for all the help.
Old 10-17-07, 01:35 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Last question.. is that tire size OK for the Hankooks? 225/50/17? And do I need Valve stems as well?
Old 10-17-07, 01:42 PM
kit cat

I got Dunlop Wintersport M3 run flat for 100 bucks a set from a G35 owner who just got a winter vehicle (and I have G35 wheels). I'd look harder for maybe a gently used set from a local car enthusiast board.
Old 10-17-07, 01:45 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SupermanGS
Last question.. is that tire size OK for the Hankooks? 225/50/17? And do I need Valve stems as well?
that size is fine. unless they are raping you on valve stems, go ahead and get them. however, if yours are still in good shape and soft (not cracked/dry rotted) i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-17-07, 01:48 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Night and day difference using snow tires.

Steve
Old 10-17-07, 07:03 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Is there anyone with these hankooks? Reading the reviews kinda makes me scared...There are quite a few people commenting that they hydroplane like no other.

Quick Reply: Winter tires worth it? (winter driving)