GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please,, Please Shed some light!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 06:41 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please,, Please Shed some light!

Sorry, I know for most everyone here this is a dumb question, but are these wheels crooked or what? I have seen a lot of pics like this. I have heard about fender pulling, fender rolling, air bagging, wheel offsets? All this confuses the crap out of me. Some body please shed some light. I would really appreciate it. Please be as detailed as possible. Is there a "........... For Dummies" book on this?
Old 10-20-07, 06:52 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Negative camber

Via Wikipedia:

"Cars associated with VIP Style usually have common characteristics; usually large diameter rims (usually broad faced designs) with low offsets that sit flush with the fender, exhausts that stick out past the rear bumper (although not so much emphasized these days), a full bodykit or lip kit, glossy paint and a lowered ride height (usually with air ride or coilovers). It is not uncommon to see extreme negative camber on many vip cars. Traditional colors of VIP Style cars are usually black, white, grey and silver."
Old 10-21-07, 07:58 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Sorry, I know for most everyone here this is a dumb question, but are these wheels crooked or what? I have seen a lot of pics like this. I have heard about fender pulling, fender rolling, air bagging, wheel offsets? All this confuses the crap out of me. Some body please shed some light. I would really appreciate it. Please be as detailed as possible. Is there a "........... For Dummies" book on this?
if your asking about why some ppl that lower their cars, the wheels look like / \, its cuz of the lowering. im not entirely sure if the GS has camber adjustment, but im sure with how low u can go on these cars, max camber adjust isnt enough to combat it. best explanation is to think of it like a triangle, 3 sides. when you shorten 1 side, the angle needed for that side to touch the other sides again has to be steeper.

people pull fenders to fit larger sized wheels. larger wheels in height and in width. to get at the ultimate look, you want the face of the wheel to be as close to the fender as possible. now with how the suspension moves up and down, it isnt exactly up and down, more like pivots, thus u can have a wheel/tire that sits almost right below the fender, but the actual travel movement makes it move into behind it. by pulling the fender or rolling the fender, you maximize the amount of clearance for the wheel.

wheel offset is how much the wheel wide sits from the center of the wheel.

so say you have a wheel that is 8in wide. having a +40mm means that from the center of that 8inchs, it is +40mm closer towards the center of the car. the higher the number, the farther it is from the fender. findind the right number and the right width is what makes a wheel sit and look nice...

the rest of ur questions can pretty much be google'd...