GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 90k and THEN SOME.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 09:23 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation GS300 90k and THEN SOME.

Ok so I am about to hit the BIG 90K on my 2000 GS300 and figured I'd kinda go all out and fix lots of stuff. All and any suggestions are welcome. I have some questions for certain things (YES I SEARCHED for hours). I am pretty good at DIY stuff. The most TECHNICAL thing I have done is my Spark Plugs though.

So here is the list of things I am going to be doing this month (with prices for someones future reference):

Updated List (As of 11/20/07)
Ball Joints - OEM (Carson - $122)
Brake Pads - Raybestos (CL member buy)
Tie Rods - OEM (Carson - $92)
Timing Belt - OEM (Carson - $25)
Water Pump - OEM (Carson - $175)
O Rings for Water Pump - OEM (Carson - $2)
Tensioner - OEM (Carson - $55)
Cam Seals (Carson - $5.20)
Crank Seals (Carson - $11)
Water Pump Gasket (Confirmed that this comes with the Water Pump)
Brake Fluid Flush (Castrol Syntec Brake Fluid DOT 5 I think)
Coolant Flush (Doing the Coolant at the same time as Timing Belt and Water Pump)
Front Strut Bar (RMM most likely ) (CL member buy)
Fuel Filter (There is no Fuel Filter for the GS300 its in the Gas Tank, but if you NEED it, its $6)
2 Motor Mounts (Carson - $90 EACH = $180 Both)
Transmission Mounts (Carson - $60)
Thermostat (Carson - $13)
Thermostat Gasket (Carson - $4)
TM Engineering - Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Kit ($39.95)
JPI Headers and Y Pipe (JPI - $215)
Injen Intake on its way (CL Member)
Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine Belt (Autozone - $40)

Now since I am doing the Ball Joints and Tie Rods (after seeing some of the horror stories on here and talking to Wringo) should I go ahead and just get the Daizen Control Arm Bushing Kit (TM Engineering - $99.95) done and the Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Kit (TM Engineering - $39.95) as well? Is it the same area?

I considered getting the Daizen Sway Bar Set from TM Engineering but um 499.99 is ALOT. Besides I don't drive my car THAT aggressively to justify the purchase.

I was thinking of doing some new slotted rotors but them bad boys are expensive. oohPapi had mentioned Ebay Rotors, wanted to see if anyone else had some experiences with some Front and Rear Rotors off Ebay?

Tires are more then likely going to be the General UHP's. (Tirerack.com - Set of 4 $550)

Injen Intake on its way (CL Member)

ANYONE have any suggestions on what I am missing for the 90K and any other preventative maintenance things that they think I should do?
I did my Spark Plugs about 2 months ago already (Carson - Torque Masters - $75). I also already have the Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine Belt sitting in my Garage awaiting install. (Autozone - $40)

I already did my Rear Differential Oil change. That was PRETTY easy. But man that oil stinks. And doing it outside with a sudden Thunderstorm didn't make things any easier. (Picture being under a car with rain pouring down for like 10 minutes. )

I also already did my Transmission Flush like 2 months ago as well.

Now the fun part right.....

(Updated as of 10/29/07)
External upgrades:

Rotors - Slotted and Drilled (Ebay / Brakepros - $193.65) (They are powder coated Red and look SWEET!)
TC Sportline Strut Bars Front and Rear (Ebay / ekimosports - $137)
M3 Painted Rear Lip Spoiler (Ebay / rburns6153 - $60)
Roof Spoiler (CL Member buy)

I thought of getting some sweet L-Tuned Exhausts, just waiting on a CL member for those. Anyone know the ball park price for installing some new exhausts?

Also thought about getting a Greddy Lip and some WIN sideskirts but again waiting on a CL member for those. Anyone know the ball park price for getting some body parts just painted? Orlando folks any suggestions on who I could use to get stuff painted also would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have any pictures of either of these installed on their cars?

Thinking of also getting the JDM Aristo Roof Spoiler (Ebay - $150) and the M3 Lip spoiler off (Ebay - $60). Any experiences with the Lip Spoiler and anyone have pictures? Same with Roof Spoiler (I think Shocker got one).***Done**

All information is GREATLY appreciated.

(I hope this thread turns out to be a huge help for anyone that is searching for 90K super overhaul as well.)

Last edited by cpone; 11-21-07 at 10:00 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-23-07, 09:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Good lists cpone

I would also add these 2 since I need to do these myself:

1. Cleaning throttle body
2. Engine mounts

3. Cleaning the MAF sensors???
4. Fuel filter???
Old 10-23-07, 09:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Grand total...... $3,567.80

Nice mod list there Mr. Cpone.

Check these items as well:

1. Power steering fluid (should be red in color as it requires Dexron/Mercon 3 fluid or.... Amsoil Universal transmission fluid (ftw)

2. Clean the throttle body with CRC throtle body cleaner and gently clean MAF sensor

3. Professional fuel injection service with Run Rite

4. Re-torque all suspension bolts to spec.

5. Check condition of radiator hoses, clamps ( change thermostat during water pump change)

6. Check Battery voltage and lubricate terminals with lithium grease.

7. Lubricate door hinges with lithium grease.

8. Every flush the motor with the Bilstein machine?

Good luck.
Old 10-23-07, 09:56 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a pretty detailed list. I've got a DIY writeup for the ball joints and tie rods so you should have no problem replacing those yourself. As far as the Daizen steering rack bushings, if you are planning on ordering them, and you don't have them already, you may be waiting awhile for them since they are on national backorder. I ordered mine from Sewell in June and they said they don't expect to get my order filled until December.
Old 10-23-07, 10:13 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the exhaust swap is easy, you have 2 bolts per side and some rubber donuts that you need to hang the exhaust hooks on, that's it.

you can definitely safe some money by doing that part yourself.
Old 10-23-07, 10:46 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
1. Cleaning throttle body
2. Engine mounts

3. Cleaning the MAF sensors???
4. Fuel filter???
1. I did that already. Here is my DIY
2. Good Idea on the Engine Mounts!
3. Did that at the same time as the Throttle Body. Easy as pie.
4. Fuel Filter? the GS has one of those? If so I'll add that as well to the list.

==========================

Grand total...... $3,567.80
SO FAR. According to my trusty Excell Spreadsheet here Total just for the above parts is about $2600 :eek:. My wife is going to KILL ME.
Did I mention I also have to do tons of crap to her car too.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
1. Power steering fluid (should be red in color as it requires Dexron/Mercon 3 fluid or.... Amsoil Universal transmission fluid (ftw)

2. Clean the throttle body with CRC throtle body cleaner and gently clean MAF sensor

3. Professional fuel injection service with Run Rite

4. Re-torque all suspension bolts to spec.

5. Check condition of radiator hoses, clamps ( change thermostat during water pump change)

6. Check Battery voltage and lubricate terminals with lithium grease.

7. Lubricate door hinges with lithium grease.

8. Every flush the motor with the Bilstein machine?
1. Good Idea. Amsoil though for Power steering? Can I do this myself?
2. Done (see above)
3. Do you happen to know the cost on this.
4. Re-torque them? I just got them last year. LOL.. Will do Simple enough that I can do that.
5. Thermostat. Got it. Why though? What does that thing do? Preventative Maintenance? Is it already in the same area as the Water Pump?
6. I have a new battery on there.
7. Greasing doors is something I can do myself? Info please.
8. WTF is a Blisten Machine and where do I find one?

=====================================

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
I've got a DIY writeup for the ball joints and tie rods so you should have no problem replacing those yourself.
Where do you have it and how do I get it.
Is it easy to do? Would I not also have to do the Bushings myself?

You know I was beginning to like you till this point:
and you don't have them already, you may be waiting awhile for them since they are on national backorder.
Son of a DUCK!

==================================

Originally Posted by cliffud
the exhaust swap is easy, you have 2 bolts per side and some rubber donuts that you need to hang the exhaust hooks on, that's it.
Really? That is it? No cutting the pipe or anything?
Just Bolts? Sounds easy enough. Wait how the heck is it connected to the pipes? Doesn't it need to get welded or something?
Old 10-23-07, 11:05 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

much respect for the info. all your actuators are still in check?
Old 10-23-07, 11:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpone

SO FAR. According to my trusty Excell Spreadsheet here Total just for the above parts is about $2600 :eek:. My wife is going to KILL ME.
Did I mention I also have to do tons of crap to her car too.

1. Good Idea. Amsoil though for Power steering? Can I do this myself? Yes.. You will need to suck out the old power steering fluid with a turkey baster or fluid extractor. Amsoil lasts much longer and stays cleaner more than the Dexron fluid. It is more expensive than dexron by a few bucks
2. Done (see above)
3. Do you happen to know the cost on this. As low as $69 bucks. That is what my guy charges locally

4. Re-torque them? I just got them last year. LOL.. Will do Simple enough that I can do that.
5. Thermostat. Got it. Why though? What does that thing do? Preventative Maintenance? Well you would not want this to fail on you even though it will stay in the open position if it does. This is a key component in the cooling system as it regulates the coolant temperature. A bad thermostat can result in overheating, poor fuel economy, knocking or pinging and causes the electric cooling fan to run continuouslyand Is it already in the same area as the Water Pump?
I believe it is behind the upper radiator hose

7. Greasing doors is something I can do myself? Info please. Buy the Lithium grease at the autoparts store and do it..
This is the Bilstein Machine

Check this thread out. I organized one of many local meetsfor this and other services. Pics, video and answers inside. Good luck..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=amsoil+meet
Old 10-23-07, 01:37 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Does the 2JZ have an idle-control valve or is that only the 1UZ-FE? If it does, have that cleaned when your throttle body is being done.

Also, a wax and clay would be nice too if you haven't done that recently!
Old 10-23-07, 01:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Does the 2JZ have an idle-control valve or is that only the 1UZ-FE? If it does, have that cleaned when your throttle body is being done.

Also, a wax and clay would be nice too if you haven't done that recently!
We have the pcv valve. Smart to replace those as they tend to get brittle over time.
Old 10-23-07, 01:53 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This is the Bilstein Machine

Check this thread out. I organized one of many local meetsfor this and other services. Pics, video and answers inside. Good luck..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=amsoil+meet
Dash,
Check your PMs.
Thanks, jd
Old 10-23-07, 04:24 PM
bverschage
Driver

great list, hope all goes well with the new parts!
Old 10-23-07, 05:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

GS300 also has the idle control valve.
Old 10-24-07, 06:01 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Someone help.
What is this called and how do I get one?

Old 10-24-07, 06:08 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cpone
Someone help.
What is this called and how do I get one?

It's the heat shield, but if you don't have one, you're probably better of, take the time and make your own true cold air box. It's meant to block some of the engine heat from the intake filter but it's not the best design.

Quick Reply: GS300 90k and THEN SOME.