GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Winter tires -- Blizzak LM22/25 v. Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D v. Michelin Alpins

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 12:34 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Winter tires -- Blizzak LM22/25 v. Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D v. Michelin Alpins

Hey guys. I've read several posts as well as the reviews on Tire Rack, but I need some real world, first-hand experience from GS owners. Is anyone running any of these tires for the winter? If so, what do you think of them? I live just outside of Chicago, and most of my miles are highway miles, so I'm looking for something quiet and comfortable that also has decent traction in the snow. Thanks in advance.

e

P.S.: Mods -- if you need to move this to the tire forum, can you please leave a link in the 2GS forum as a lot of guys don't visit the tire forum that frequently. Thanks.
Old 10-25-07, 03:24 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the LM-22s but I haven't put them on yet. Its still to warm for winter tires. I'll let you know in about a week though. If no one answers.
Old 10-25-07, 04:16 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually already threw on my snow tires (M3 DSST) since I got a flat and couldn't find a pair of my tires. i live in Indy and no snow yet, but traction isn't too bad...of course compared to my Proxes T1S, they horrible in terms of dry performance but not bad for snow tires. I like them so far. Just don't expect PS2 like performance out of them.
Old 10-25-07, 04:23 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Blizzacks

I don't know which one I've got. Tire Rack says LM 25.

Anyway I had Blizzacks since 1995. I used to have them on a 95 Camry.
Now I've got a GS400 and have had Blizzacks on it the last 3 winters.

Blizzacks are incredible in ice rink conditions.
I am always amazed at how good they are.
They go good in the snow but where they are a real star is when it is so slick you can barely walk on it. It is almost like there is no ice.

The first winter I had my GS the roads here got all iced up. I live in Seattle and there are lots of steep hills. Well I got so excited about testing my GS out in the ice I went out looking for steep ice covered hills and would stop while going up them and then start from a stop. Blizzacks give you incredible traction. Last year there was compact snow on top of ice on the road in fron of my house. There were kids and adults sledding and tubing down it. It probably gains 100 feet of elevation in a block. Well car made it right up the hill. You also have tremendous traction for stopping and going around curves.
Winter travel becomes fun instead of a nightmare.

Two downsides exist with the Blizzacks.
The incredible ice traction is from the rubber that is on the first 15,000 miles est of the tread. After that wears off then they are like your standard snow tires. (If they keep you out of just one accident then they have paid for themselves)

If there is no snow or ice they do not perform as well as my Michelin A/S Pilot Sports. In fact going to fast around a curve with the Blizzacks is similiar to drivng around a curve on wet mushy cardboard. Frankly if I feel like if there is not going to be snow and ice for a while I take them off.
Last year I had them on the car for about 2 months.

Lots of people on this forum claim that the GS is horrible snow car. I disagree. I think with the Blizzacks it is incredible.

Ivan
3dog
Old 10-25-07, 05:06 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm leaning towards the Blizzak LM-25, but before I make the decision, I'd like to hear from someone who's running the Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds. They are rated at the top of the list on Tire Rack in the winter performance category (second is the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, and third is the Blizzak LM-25). I don't rely too much on the reviews, though. I'd prefer to hear from guys on CL who actually have them.

e
Old 10-25-07, 05:27 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on both a GS400 and a BMW325ix through last winter. Excellent traction, very quiet and corners well. My friend, who is really into cars, put them on his Infiniti G35x and he really likes them too. I'll probably buy another set this year for my son's Civic.

My wife drives the BMW and when I put her Bridgestone EL42s (w/ 15k miles)back on in the Spring, she thought there was something wrong with her car since they were so much noisier than with Winter Sports.

I can't answer for the midwest winters, but here in New England, I'm very happy with them. I would expect the Blizzaks to be better on ice, but probably not handle as well on dry pavement or be as quiet. That's not based on my own use, but rather comments of peole I know who drive on the Blizzaks in winter. They seem to like them, so it's all personal preference.
Old 10-25-07, 05:31 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jz4203
I've run the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on both a GS400 and a BMW325ix through last winter. Excellent traction, very quiet and corners well. My friend, who is really into cars, put them on his Infiniti G35x and he really likes them too. I'll probably buy another set this year for my son's Civic.

My wife drives the BMW and when I put her Bridgestone EL42s (w/ 15k miles)back on in the Spring, she thought there was something wrong with her car since they were so much noisier than with Winter Sports.

I can't answer for the midwest winters, but here in New England, I'm very happy with them. I would expect the Blizzaks to be better on ice, but probably not handle as well on dry pavement or be as quiet. That's not based on my own use, but rather comments of peole I know who drive on the Blizzaks in winter. They seem to like them, so it's all personal preference.
Thanks for the response. I was kind of thinking the same thing (that the Dunlops might be quieter than the Blizzaks on dry pavement). With respect to the comments from people who you know who drive on Blizzaks, do you know if they're talking about the LM-22/25 or the WD-50? The WD-50 is more of a heavy duty snow/ice tire, and I would expect it to be noisier. Also, I still need to figure out the difference between the Dunlop M3 and the newer 3D.
Old 10-26-07, 07:55 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Also, I still need to figure out the difference between the Dunlop M3 and the newer 3D.
From pictures the center tread is different and the 3D comes in a V speed rating. Don't know if the M's do.
Old 10-26-07, 08:28 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCP43002
From pictures the center tread is different and the 3D comes in a V speed rating. Don't know if the M's do.
Yeah, I saw that the center tread was different. Unfortunately, neither the 3Ms nor the 3Ds come in v-rating for my size (225/55/16).
Old 10-26-07, 10:54 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked my Michelin Alpins
Old 10-31-07, 10:21 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Yoko AVS for the last 4 winters (for me they are on about 4-5 months a year). IMHO, there are worth looking into, a bit pricey, but quiet, controlled, and dont wear as fast as blizzaks, but you give up a small bit of grip on ice. I am heading into my 5th winter season and still lots of tread.
S
Old 11-09-07, 12:28 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Does anyone else have any other thoughts? If I'm getting the Dunlops, I need to order them by the 15th before the $50 rebate expires.
Old 11-09-07, 12:37 PM
nytoy
Driver

I'm ordering the Dunlops as well, 3D's they seem like a solid choice and cost effective.
Old 11-09-07, 01:02 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

e-man,

In Chicago area you will see dry pavement more often than snowy days. Also, we don't see freezing rains often. I recommend Dunlop, not as good on ice comparing to Bridgestone but better in snow and on dry pavement. As a matter of fact, GS400 rides on 17 inch Blizzak LM22s/stock silver rims. These tires weren't my choice, I bought them with the rims from another member. SC400 rides on 16 inch Dunlop M2s/stock GS rims. Before I used this set on GS400 two winters ago.

Last edited by ChrisK; 11-09-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 04:57 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChrisK
e-man,

In Chicago area you will see dry pavement more often than snowy days. Also, we don't see freezing rains often. I recommend Dunlop, not as good on ice comparing to Bridgestone but better in snow and on dry pavement. As a matter of fact, GS400 rides on 17 inch Blizzak LM22s/stock silver rims. These tires weren't my choice, I bought them with the rims from another member. SC400 rides on 16 inch Dunlop M2s/stock GS rims. Before I used this set on GS400 two winters ago.
Chris -- I agree completely. There are definitely more dry days than snowy ones. I know they're in different sizes, but how would you compare the ride of the 17" LM22s versus the 16" M2s?

NYtoy -- it's really not about cost for me, but the fact that the Dunlops are cheaper is definitely an added bonus. My main concern is that the tires be relatively quiet on the highway under dry conditions. I don't think you can go wrong with either the LM22s or the 3Ds, but I think the LM22s are more of a snow tire with okay dry road manners, whereas the 3Ds have better manners under dry conditions and will handle okay in the snow.

Quick Reply: Winter tires -- Blizzak LM22/25 v. Dunlop Winter Sport M3/3D v. Michelin Alpins